• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
192 replies to this topic | 5 praises

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:45 PM

Davekiat
  • Davekiat
    1st Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

My ride is a 2006 Toyota Vios and the ride is very bumpy. My passengers have complained that this is a very bumpy ride and they feel like vomitting sometimes after meals riding in my car.

I am driving a 2006 Toyota vios and the mileage is about 100k. What should I do? Change the springs and shock absorbers? I am looking for a more comfortable ride.

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

Ichibawa
  • Premium member
    Ichibawa
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Is your ride stiff or very bouncy?

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

Davekiat
  • Davekiat
    1st Gear
    Author Image

the ride feels very stiff. Is suspension supposed to get stiffer overtime?

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:55 PM

Woonyang
  • Woonyang
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

given the age and mileage, shocks probably gone liao. time to change.

changing to stiffer springs, lower profile tyres all make your ride harsher. if you are stock, it's gotta be the shocks.

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:39 PM

Good-Carbuyer

My ride is a 2006 Toyota Vios and the ride is very bumpy. My passengers have complained that this is a very bumpy ride and they feel like vomitting sometimes after meals riding in my car.

I am driving a 2006 Toyota vios and the mileage is about 100k. What should I do? Change the springs and shock absorbers? I am looking for a more comfortable ride.

There are some symptoms you amy have observed:-
Car tends to pitch with the slightest brake application
Car tends roll with easy turning radius
Car jumps over small speed hump
Car rocks alot ahen you press down each car corner and release
You may want a Mechanic to help you diagnose (a few hundred dollars to replace all shock-absorbers complete with the rubber bushes). Best for you to have the rubber bushes replaced to avoid any squeaking after the shock-absorbers replacement (overlooked this with my previous car)

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:42 PM

Davekiat
  • Davekiat
    1st Gear
    Author Image

I don't observed the symptoms mentioned but my pet peeve is that the ride is too harsh! Maybe the previous car owner have changed these to coilover. How do I differentiate a coilover from the stock shocks and spring?

I did the bumper bounce test but the car didnt jump at all once i pressed down hard and release.

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:46 PM

Woonyang
  • Woonyang
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

I don't observed the symptoms mentioned but my pet peeve is that the ride is too harsh! Maybe the previous car owner have changed these to coilover. How do I differentiate a coilover from the stock shocks and spring?

I did the bumper bounce test but the car didnt jump at all once i pressed down hard and release.

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:51 PM

Tanly
  • Tanly
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Peek into the wheel arch and see whether the suspension has colored springs or absorbers.Aftermarket springs or coilovers sure other color than black.Or peep behind your under carraige see got any color metal bar cos might have installed an anti roll bar...

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:19 PM

Davekiat
  • Davekiat
    1st Gear
    Author Image

I dont remember seeing coloured springs or suspension. I tried pushing down my vios recently and it doesnt go down much. It doesnt bounce as well. This explains the harsh ride right where I can feel very shocks from the road.

I tried this on my family's avante and found that it goes down and up without bouncing.

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:37 PM

• Premium member
    6th Gear
    Author Image

If suspension is not modified and i.e. still stock, likely be the shock absorbers.
springs very unlikely issue-

2 things can happen to shock absorbers which usually needs replacement from 2-3 years on average. ( lifespan depends on human and environmental factors).

a) Lost pressure-- not damping anymore, due to leak of N2 or fluid.

b) Seize up -- absorber piston jammed, very difficult to move up /down.

Was it tyre pressure issue?

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

Mits_jc
  • Premium member
    Mits_jc
    5th Gear
    Author Image

i have a bumpy ride too...esp when the rear goes over those small killer humps at shopping centre car parks.

car is stock, 7 years, front and rear suspension haven't been changed before, and it seems the rear is much stiffer as it doesnt damp when going over humps so much so i have to slow down a lot so the jarring effect is not so obvious.

any suggestions?

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:31 PM

Woonyang
  • Woonyang
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

i have a bumpy ride too...esp when the rear goes over those small killer humps at shopping centre car parks.

car is stock, 7 years, front and rear suspension haven't been changed before, and it seems the rear is much stiffer as it doesnt damp when going over humps so much so i have to slow down a lot so the jarring effect is not so obvious.

any suggestions?

change your shock absorbers. use 7 years enough liao, probably about twice normal lifespan already.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:15 PM

Weichien
  • Weichien
    5th Gear
    Author Image

any recommendations from the experts here on springs/shocks?

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:08 AM

Ken4555
  • Premium member
    Ken4555
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

any recommendations from the experts here on springs/shocks?

sounds like maybe TS driving skills hopeless keep driving over anything... laugh.gif

or the passengers easily car sick type...

a vios stock brand new the suspension is pretty stiff compared to a 1.6 sedan.... and because a vios is very light, the stiffness can be felt very obiviously... but its not too hard at all... i think its very comfortable (compared to my coilovers)... but to the average driver on the road a vios would have harder then normal suspension... vios has one of the best suspension set ups of budget family cars imho... btw a vios is actually the same catagory as a hatchback like getz...

anyways the logic is simple... get sporty suspension or coilovers, ride is great at high speeds but terrible when driving slowly...

stock suspension is great when driving slowly but dangerous at high speeds cornering...

want the best of both worlds? get bloody expensive suspension systems... when it will automatically be comfortable on bumpy roads but stiff enuf for sporty cornering...

==FEMALE ORGASM TIKO RANGER== because the gal MUST cum....

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:48 AM

Ichibawa
  • Premium member
    Ichibawa
    6th Gear
    Author Image

If your car doesn't bounce too much then it shouldn't be the shock absorbers as the main function of these are to dampen the kinetic energy from the springs. Do check if your ride is lower compared to other Vios. The previous owner may have opt the cheaper way to lower his/her ride which is by cutting the springs. Also if he/she tried to stiffen the ride by adding a plastic spacer in between the spring and the mounts. Best is still get a mechanic to address your concern else the best thing we do without proper details is guess.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:03 AM

Ken4555
  • Premium member
    Ken4555
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

oh my goodness blink.gif ... you have my given name.... ohmy.gif
==FEMALE ORGASM TIKO RANGER== because the gal MUST cum....

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:02 AM

Good-Carbuyer

Can check if tire over-inflated for load and usage
Mileage alone does not indicate wear accurately. Mileage X weight = actual wear on shock-absorbers
Unlikely coil springs get worn that bad (classic leaf springs do get worn)
Check if car seats suspension worn
Get Mechanic to check your car?

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:25 PM

Davekiat
  • Davekiat
    1st Gear
    Author Image

ok, I've been searching around for shock absorbers. Recently, I've an offer from another forum to takeover a set of used 1000km KYB Gas shock absorbers at $400. Is this a good deal or should I go stockist and the stock shock absorbers will do,

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:32 PM

Happily1986
  • Premium member
    Happily1986
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

ok, I've been searching around for shock absorbers. Recently, I've an offer from another forum to takeover a set of used 1000km KYB Gas shock absorbers at $400. Is this a good deal or should I go stockist and the stock shock absorbers will do,

Most stock japanese cars use KYB from what i remember. why don't you get a quotation from the stockist? CoD plus receipt gives you assurance. Furthermore how much would 1000km of usage save you in terms of discount?
1923 - 2015. You will be missed. Any possibility you can come back and salvage the current mess? Pretty please?

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:32 PM

Pisces69
  • Premium member
    Pisces69
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Did u change low profile tires or put too much air in them?

This can cause a firm n bumpy ride.

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Quick Reply

Tags: Changing, shock, absorbers and 1 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users