Changing shock absorbers or suspension

Davekiat

Neutral Newbie

lol i search front strut tower in google but they keep giving front strut bar, is it costly to get the front strut tower replaced ?

perhaps some kind soul could point to the right direction what is a front strut tower.

p/s i have checked and i do not find any leaking at my shock absorber, when i apply weight on the right it bounce back rigid, as some tread points that it not a faulty absorber.

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Hi sorry for the Hijack,

My Car is slightly slanted to the driver side, i measured from floor to the car fender on the left side is 23' and on the right is 22' , visually i can even see it is tilted to the driver side, my question is could it be the absorber that is giving way ? i went Motor image they quote me $390 to change one absorber (Front) is it expensive ?

Any recommendations or comments? im currently driving a subaru R1 (2007).

Really need help here :(

very common problem on slanting towards driver side. If shocks are still working fine, just ignore.

I ever kena 2 inch difference after hitting a pothole in Boleh Land. It looked as if one tyre is punctured. :D It felt so funny to drive with the body tilting to one side for a couple of months. Then, it gradually level back.

Edited by Kangadrool

I'll suggest you get a second opinion from independent workshop .

Let's be blunt here , AD will definitely charge you a hand and leg .

Also , it is advisable to always change all 4 absorber together or in pair .

Still don't want get carrot? Then buy the parts from the stockist and just pay the labour fee to the workshop.

lol i search front strut tower in google but they keep giving front strut bar, is it costly to get the front strut tower replaced ?

perhaps some kind soul could point to the right direction what is a front strut tower.

p/s i have checked and i do not find any leaking at my shock absorber, when i apply weight on the right it bounce back rigid, as some tread points that it not a faulty absorber.

Thanks.

search strut tower mushroom. If you've never hit a large pothole at high speeds, don't worry about that.

You can also visually see it when you look at the car from the front with the bonnet open. One side will be higher than the other.

Did you try measuring when your car is at different locations?

hmm.. don't understand the term 'more willing to compress'. if the front is stiffer than the rear, it means that more force is required to compress it a set distance (eg 1cm). You can have a 100kg weight compressing a 10kg/mm spring, and a 50kg weight compressing a 5kg/mm spring, and both will compress by 1cm. But yes, if you take into account the CG height, location and max lat/longitudinal G force, then the result might be different. unless you mean the velocity or rate of compression, which is the damper's job not the springs, and yup the fronts have to be higher than the rear also. [;)]

haha~ tbh i don't think there will be any difference between 1 or 2 or even 5 clicks. u'd have to have a very sensitive butt to feel those things. Might be psychological at first, but after that u get used to it. [laugh]

using your example, i'd be referring to a 100kg weight on a 8kg/mm spring up front, with a 50kg weight on a 5kg/mm spring at the rear. That's what I meant by stiffer front but more willing to compress.

FF cars are usually heavier up front (usually not double, but a good 30-50%). They tend to understeer, but this can be tuned by making the front 'more willing to compress.' This will increase front grip and hence reduce understeer.

Depending on how many total clicks the coilover has. Mine has a total of 9, and a difference of 2 clicks is noticeable. I guess the best way to feel this is to overspeed into a corner, but I actually found that going slowly over speed humps also gives noticeable differences [:p]

I ever kena 2 inch difference after hitting a pothole in Boleh Land. It looked as if one tyre is punctured. :D It felt so funny to drive with the body tilting to one side for a couple of months. Then, it gradually level back.

wah... your struts got self-healing function :D

Hi, I just sent my car to the workshop for servicing and after service my ride feels very rocky so I brought it back to the WS to check with them again. They said its time to change my absorber, but I told them before they service my car I don't feel the rockyness. They said maybe its because my absorber is already not very good and during servicing they jack up my car and the absorber was left "hanging" down and that might have affected it.

They recommend me to change both front and back absorber at $480 (he said this price is for genuine toyota part + labour cost). Is it really true that jacking up a car will cause the absorber to become spoilt and caused my ride to become so rocky and stiff? He mentioned that if I don't want to change the absorber its also ok just that I will feel uncomfortable driving it and just make sure it doesn't leak oil. I'm driving a 2006 Toyota Altis. Any recommendation to what I should do? This is my first car and I'm still quite noob in this. Thanks in advance!

is it my favourite workshop? for changing for 4 shock absorbers + laboour @ $400 plus, its quite reasonable??? yes or no? i dun know, my vios also from 2006..

using your example, i'd be referring to a 100kg weight on a 8kg/mm spring up front, with a 50kg weight on a 5kg/mm spring at the rear. That's what I meant by stiffer front but more willing to compress.

FF cars are usually heavier up front (usually not double, but a good 30-50%). They tend to understeer, but this can be tuned by making the front 'more willing to compress.' This will increase front grip and hence reduce understeer.

Depending on how many total clicks the coilover has. Mine has a total of 9, and a difference of 2 clicks is noticeable. I guess the best way to feel this is to overspeed into a corner, but I actually found that going slowly over speed humps also gives noticeable differences [:p]

Ahs.. okay. think i get what you mean. stiffer relative to the rear but still soft in a way that allows it to compress more.

Yup you are right that by making the front 'more willing to compress' or softer in a way will improve grip, although the whole story is a little more complex than that, and is also beyond my comprehension. [:p]

Guys, how do we check if the WS has indeed changed my stock shock absorbers to KYB? Recently changed all the shock absorbers, and requested for KYB. But during car collection, it was pouring too heavily, and the WS was packed with cars under repair, so I couldn't check if they indeed changed it to KYB or some other brand...

Just a noob question.. I have my old shocks out of ride, the front when i push it down on the ground (the metallic part) rebounds up very slowly, the rear ones on the contrary gets back to its full length pretty quickly.. Which is the spoilt one?

Wonder if any gurus out there can help..

Just in case I wasn't clear, when I push in the rod into the cylinder part of the absorber for my front shocks, the rod pushes back slowly to it's original position, whereas for my rear shocks, when I pushed the rod in, the rod rebounds back pretty quickly..

Which is the spoilt shock in this case? My workshop told me my front shocks are bad, but 2 of my frends told me the rear ones are spoilt.. LOL.. I'm guessin the workshop is correct..

My ride is a 2006 Toyota Vios and the ride is very bumpy. My passengers have complained that this is a very bumpy ride and they feel like vomitting sometimes after meals riding in my car.

I am driving a 2006 Toyota vios and the mileage is about 100k. What should I do? Change the springs and shock absorbers? I am looking for a more comfortable ride.

Try to lower the air pressure in yr tires n see if any improvement.

Dont go >10kpa from the recommended as stated in yr handbook though.

ok, I've been searching around for shock absorbers. Recently, I've an offer from another forum to takeover a set of used 1000km KYB Gas shock absorbers at $400. Is this a good deal or should I go stockist and the stock shock absorbers will do,

U can get OEM KYB shocks better. Why buy 2nd hand when new r also around that price.

Not that expensive. Buy from non-Toyota stockists.

But now many KYB r made in Thai. Check 1st. I still prefer made in Japan fr good quality.

There r a few suppliers of KYB gas shocks in SG. Check around fr best prices n Jap made.

↡ Advertisement