2011 VOLVO S60

Yahgo22

It really doesn't matter, they are all about there!

That was my point.

No need to slice and dice.

The Merc still pips the Volvo in all other aspects.

I would think the crash test of the 2001 1st generation S60 to be irrelevant to the current 2nd generation 2010/2011/2012 models, but i do find it interesting that the 2010/2011/2012 models crash test results are not found on Euro NCAP.

↡ Advertisement

I would think the crash test of the 2001 1st generation S60 to be irrelevant to the current 2nd generation 2010/2011/2012 models, but i do find it interesting that the 2010/2011/2012 models crash test results are not found on Euro NCAP.

Whatever ..... probably they're not worth crash testing anyway

Hmmm ask your self what you want i guess??

MERC BMW and Audi has one very very distict advantage over VOLVO

Branding. some people say, they need it for their jobs ( to show that they are well off or they made it) some say its cool like owning an iphone. Somehow volvo here is a 2nd class lux car. (so sad)

So let me try to break it down for you. on the compeitors first with comparison to a volvo s60 (t5 at 219k, i will use this as basis, since money quite impt to me? if you think other stuff impt aka power, how new? etc etc, i will change in my next reply)

Okie lets start.

0) vovlo s60 t5 or t4. 219k and 179k respectively 240 and 180 bhp

1) Merc option c250 or c200. 223 and 216 respetively. BHP 204 and 184.

2) audi optoion a4 2.0 or 1.8. 221 and 211 respectivly BHP 211 and 160

3 BMw option 328i 234K bhp 245

Btw if you chosing the t4, then merc bmw and audi got lower options. But still more ex than Volvo t4

So bmw first.

Okie so base on pure power (bhp), volvo gives you the best bet for your money. as it produces 250 bhp on its t5.

but people will say hey, power is not everything, driving dynamics is.

Go test drive a a bmw 328i, if you think that paying extra 20k gives you more driving pleasure, sure go ahead. This is another reason why bmw gets so much buyers, they do drive better. But question is do you enjoy it???? (or you prefer 20k in your wallet?) honestly I don’t get whats the hype and passion for rwd. To me it isn’t that SIGNIFICANT (that’s the impt word) difference? I am not racing up and down ecp every day. FWD is actually safer fyi…

Okie next Merc strong side is comfort, safety and built quality as jolie88 has said.

Comfort – up to you to feel. The seats on Volvo seems kinda better than merc? I just feel they are softer and nicer to seat it (something like lexus)

Safety. As long as from audi merc or bmw, or most car these days. safety is prob the same. but volvo has one advantage by have more active safety such as city safety and as eugn86 said, can save you from small accidents. another feature is the PCC, the key fob that can check if your car is locked.

Ncap and all the other tests just give you a peace of mind. Trust me if you going 200km/h and crash into a wall. No car can save you. It is more for if the car ISNT ncap 5 stars then you should be worried.(ahem some C_ _ _ _ Cars) But don’t worry Volvo spends a lot of safety, the even have their own crash centre. And like I said they are more into active safety these days, which I like.

Built quality - about the reassuring thud on the door. its actually how the doors are hinged? not really how well made the car is? to see the fit and finish. Feel the leather of the car yourself, feel each and every button. press them. then ergonomics of volvo is really good. somehow, each button presses down really nice. Merc aint that bad too? but i just prefer the softer feel of volvos. Oh and the Scandinavian leather smell is really a Volvo smell.

Furthermore, the C class is old. Just facelifted…

Next, audi – known for its toys and stuff. Volvo has every toy to match audi. And at a cheaper price. Though they make really good tfsi engines. But to me, they kinda feel the same way as a Volvo, but the s60 t5 sprints a lot faster compared to the price competitor of the a4 2.0.

So if you want value for money, t5. If you cheapest of the lot. T4. Mainly due to coe. My pick? T5. Got some extra toys. Keyless and whatnot

the s60 t5 is just nice. Other nice things bout Volvos, SM motor service quite good. PML (ask bmwers, I don’t have to say much) C&C( very nice when you pay, also know as charge and charge) Premium auto(heard its quite good). I only can say I happy with sm, not sure about the rest.

Now the down side of volvo

1) no huge fan base in sg. there is vocsg and volvosg. Trust me when i say the MERCsg and BMWsg has a lot more loyal fans that are willing to speak out. like jolie88 who we can see is an avid merc fan. So you are one lone ranger( or with me and eugn86, 3 lone rangers) that will fight for the brand. (so sad again)

2) Resale value (sibei jilat) or political correct, it isn’t THAT bad (that being subjective to individual) ya ya resale sibei bad actually, cause no one want to buy. (except me who bought a second hand s40, good deal actually)

3) Drink fuel like theres no tmr. (getting better ah, the old s60 haiyo)

4) Some idoit back in Sweden decided we had to turn on and off our own headlights (%^#^% for a 200k car)

5) People see you no up (not knowing that the price of the Volvo is actually quite expensive)

Actually Volvo is for the understated man, who is confident of himself and doesn’t really need to show it, but if god forbid you decide to race me, I will smoke your ass.. ( but if hes driving a debadge rs4, m3 or c63) you got suck thumb lor (he more understated than you)

My take, buy a secondhand s60 t5 or 2.0T.

oh read this and you see volvo beat everyone else...

except new bmw...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans...on/viewall.html

oh and for safety, dont think merc had this honor before...

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/28/2012-vo...ety-pick-award/

btw please please pardon me for all my grammer and spelling mistakes. its 3 am...

Edited by Lalaisgongon

there's one really great thing abt RWD: smaller turning radius

No, the one really great thing abt RWD is handling and balance - coming from the F/R setup.

Neutral Newbie

there's one really great thing abt RWD: smaller turning radius

Why is small turning radius so important, it cannot be that pple buy a RWD car which cost 200k just for small turning radius!!

I was in the same situation last year when shopping for a replacement car for my W203 C180 kompressor. I spoke to the Volvo guy and went to the showroom many times, read up on Volvo for a good 6 months. I must have disappointed the Volvo sales guy after talking and trying the S60 T4 for so many months.

I was looking at the V60 T4 but eventually went for the W204 facelifted C180 7gtronic with options thrown in. Here's my take of why I went back to Merc instead of Volvo and I must say Volvo is a nice car too.

S60 / V60 T4

- sound proofing not as good as C-class, so the engine noise and road noise get into the cabin when rev hard.

- I am not sure about the reliability for Volvo, I may be wrong but my previous Merc proved to me that the C-class is a car that I can trust for many years, 8 years in fact.

- cabin feel is good, but the rear seems just a bit that smaller than the C-class.

- the V60 price was just too close to Mercedes-Benz. It's a brand perception thingy, and I just don't feel good paying Volvo for Close to Merc price.

- the Volvo guy did not put in enough sweetener to lure me to bite, particularly in getting me a price for my trade-in and others.

C180 7gtronic

- I don't like the idea of a 1.6 L engine in my car, so I went for the 1.8L turbo with 7 speed. The T5 Volvo cost too much (again my brand perception says so). This 1.8L turbo is peppy and rev willingly, coupled to the 7 speed makes the car moves very nicely.

- the cabin feels big, at least bigger than the Volvo. I must say I like the Volvo interior too.

- I am sure of its reliability

- I am still a Merc fan

The facelift C-class may not be a new model, but internally, it is a complete new revamp. The dashboard is more inline to the new E-class and there are more brings like DRL and LED lights.

... my previous Merc proved to me that the C-class is a car that I can trust for many years, 8 years in fact.

Wow bro, 8 years sure is long to keep a car!

Must have been very reliable and dependable.

Were there any downsides of the W203's 1.6 supercarged C180K engine (other than the slight noise)?

Supercharged

Why is small turning radius so important, it cannot be that pple buy a RWD car which cost 200k just for small turning radius!!

it is a good bonus lah,

coz large turning radius is a bit troublesome esp when doing 3pt turns in tight streets.

Edited by Eyke

Volvo was quite high in my list, but I do agree sometime their dear is not sweet enough.

When I was about to trade my Mazda 6 in 2008, I checked S40 tested (vovlo offer me the lowest price for my 3 years old Mz 6) and like it but I get better deal with Merc B170

in 2011 cosidering to trade my B170, V60 is in my top list but bloody pricey and again low value for my B170, then test X1 2.0 turbo I like it but my wife hate it due to plasticky interior, then tested C180 even we don't like sedan anymore but we found it this is the best deal for our budget getting C180k with 12.5k (125i promotion) upfront discount comand online throw in for free.

Edited by Knighthunter

No, the one really great thing abt RWD is handling and balance - coming from the F/R setup.

But as a day to day driver? do you need it? would you feel it?

and isnt FWD actually safer?

But as a day to day driver? do you need it? would you feel it?

and isnt FWD actually safer?

I have to agree FWD is safer for drivers who are not "into driving". RWD car tend to be tail wagging happy in some situation round a bend and driver not into such driving style will get caught by surprise.

However, I feel that a RWD car tend to power away nicely near the end of a bend at a good speed and this makes driving fun.

I believe that's a S60 2001 edition, unless they are able to test a 2010/2011/2012 S60 in 2001

I am no volvo fan, even though i drive one.

BMWs drive better.

Merc more prestigous, but i don't feel the need to be showy.

To each his own there.

But i realise there is a lot of cut and paste and 'hamtam' without reading here, esp on the safety aspect.

http://www.euroncap.com/results/volvo/v60/2012/434.aspx

The Volvo V60 safety test is supposed to =S60 test, according to the article.

Please read the comments at the bottom of page.

FYI please

I am no volvo fan, even though i drive one.

BMWs drive better.

Merc more prestigous, but i don't feel the need to be showy.

To each his own there.

But i realise there is a lot of cut and paste and 'hamtam' without reading here, esp on the safety aspect.

http://www.euroncap.com/results/volvo/v60/2012/434.aspx

The Volvo V60 safety test is supposed to =S60 test, according to the article.

Please read the comments at the bottom of page.

FYI please

ya

someone posted NCAP results of a 2001 s60 and said it was only 4stars... Then he was trying to correct that guy,

Turbocharged

Hi everyone,

I am contemplating between Audi A4, BMW 3, Merc C180 and Volvo S60. I am leaning towards S60 for its devotion to safety (which is my main concern).

However, I am just wondering, are the other cars just as good in terms of safety?

Secondly, is S60 much cheaper than the other cars?

Lastly, Will I end up losing more money due to the poor resale value of S60 years down the road, compared to the other cars? (i.e. lower initial purchase price, but much lower resale price, resulting in higher depreciation compared to the other cars).

Thanks alot!

the other aspect.. what about maintenance and parts costs, which is more expensive?

i have seen many old 'masterpiece' type e200 running on the roads, but not similar aged volvo, bmw or audis.

does it mean the merc is cheaper to run in those aspect?

i'm thinking perhaps i'll get one merc to drive when i grow old like those ah peh driving those masterpieces [laugh]

↡ Advertisement