Why are we still supporting higher cc cars??

Glxfan

Hey guys and fellow motoring enthusiast,

Just wondering, why are people still buying 2.0l cars when the equivalent 1.4 (super + turbo charged) can be had at lower road tax and better performance, open for discussion:)

Btw this is not a bashing thread for 2.0 vs 1.4 or VW vs honda (example only) kind of thread, parties who made whatever decision pls do share your reasons and thoughts, thanks!

↡ Advertisement

Just wondering, why are people still buying 2.0l cars when the equivalent 1.4 (super + turbo charged) can be had at lower road tax and better performance, open for discussion:)

Btw this is not a bashing thread for 2.0 vs 1.4 or VW vs honda (example only) kind of thread, parties who made whatever decision pls do share your reasons and thoughts, thanks!

Smaller CC car with forced induction will run out of steam at higher speed compared to a higher CC car of a similar horsepower..

(just an observation)

i feel car ownership in Singapore is an emotional decision more than a logical, financial one. It is well known that it is just not financially sound to own a car, if you don't generate some revenue from the purchase. (hence the fervent interest in calculating depreciation and finetuning formulae in excel spreadsheet for car ownership :p) I

Is the 2.0l car using a stronger frame? better furnishing? sound insulation?

A towkay's need and a young punk yuppie wanna-be have different criteria in arriving to their decision.

So does a chiongster :)

gotto learn the car game here too...it's abt how much u willing to 'loose'...

VW equals low OMW but relatively high selling px?

For example the Golf GT. I went to see it in 2005..great lil car +save road tax...price? 99+k OMG! What savings? LOL... think they have improved pricing formula now but still tad on the high side? Correct me if wrong coz I haven't been to a showroom recently.

Your insurance will more than make up for the difference

I have a 1.4L turbo

1. Insurance is very expensive

2. What save $600 road tax but pay 2k extra for insurance

3. I dont have supercharger (I think only the golf has it) so the turbo comes on only when I ram the engine. Else the power is same as 1.4. You can stall if you are too lightfooted.

4. The mileage per km they give seems like based on not using the turbo. If you use the turbo it drinks like a drunken sailor.

Only the plus side [:p]

1. Can retune to 186 bhp which is equivalent to a 2.4 NA

2. 0 to 100 is always faster than a 2L NA and that is even before retuning.

Different people make their car choices based on different criteria.

Besides performance / image, I think a lot of people perceive the bigger cc cars to be more comfortable and safer than smaller cars.

Actually if you look closely at the financial point of view, sometimes higher cc cars do make sense

However i am someone who prefers to find the rightly priced 2nd hand car than a 1st hand.

usually most higher cc cars have OMV that is higher for resale, although road tax and insurance are higher, you actually incur these expenses gradually on a yearly or monthly basis (if you use credit card payment for insurance, they have 0 interest instalment)

Smaller cc cars with TC, especially those fantastic cars you see from VW nowadays have lower OMV, but are priced at much higher premiums. Moreover, the price you pay is incurred either upfront, or worse still, when you take a loan, the total payable amount increases rather dramatically.

It's a fine line though, so it's still a personal choice, but again, financially, if you do the math accurately, sometimes makes more sense getting higher cc cars with less maintenance.

Just an extra thot, the Audi Q5 is using CVT mated with a TC engine, though it's a small little teenie cute turbo in there, it's not yet proven to last. Was just thinking in the near future wud we see and transmission being shredded by spirited drivers of the Q5. I love the car though, may look into getting 2nd hand ones in future.

Small CC high torque forced induction cars only provide good torque when driving in the city. Big CC cars will shine when you really need the power at high speeds.

4. The mileage per km they give seems like based on not using the turbo. If you use the turbo it drinks like a drunken sailor.

what is your average milage?

my main worry is the high end.... and i believe a 2.2 euror maintainence is lower than a 1.4 SC/TC

try crusing a 1.4 turbo and a na 2 litres at 180km/h. you will feel and hear the diference.

How often are you traveling at 180km/h. Even at NSHW, only touch and go.