Volvo Servicing

Gregwoon

Neutral Newbie

Any Volvo drivers with a workshop to recommend other than SM Motors?

Appreciate your sharing/input.

Thanks

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

hi bros, OT a bit, I'm considering a pre-owned 2.0 S60T (Feb 07) vs (Sep 06) A4 - can't seem to get a feel for the prices of maintenance i.e. spare parts in the market for these. Have been a jap owner for the last 3 cars (honda/mazda) and had quite enuff of the current stream I'm driving. is it possible to service outside? can spare parts be found? are their cost relative to jap parts?

appreciate your inputs. thanks!

Are volvo parts very ex? is the servicing very ex too? comparable to merc and bmw? Please advise. Thanks!

expensive is subjetive. if you are earning only 3k per or less per month, i guess its expensive. however there are still people earning less than that and can afford a volvo.

expensive is subjetive. if you are earning only 3k per or less per month, i guess its expensive. however there are still people earning less than that and can afford a volvo.

hmmm......... ok. to me actually 3k/month very hard to own any car..... just my humble opinion.

i bought some original volvo parts from local stockist (Unico)

quick ref price (need to add GST) :

oil filter : $13

air filter : $16

spark plugs (5 pcs) - $82.56

fuel filter : $56.05

brake pads front : $130

brake pads rear : $105

ref servicing charges (did them at stamford tyres)

oil change (brought my own engine oil), flush radiator coolant, change oil filter : $78

power steering transmission flush (incl ATF) : $25

brake flush (incl brake fluid) $55

if you do the servicing in JB its even cheaper.

Edited by Toledo

why not just do it at AD?

May be more expensive, but you get a peace of mind with the right people and right parts servicing your car.

I owned 6 cars in the past. All bought new. 2 went for outside workshop after waranty. 4 of them all the way AD. The 4 AD service cars had no issue all the way until I sold it. The 2 that went outside workshop keep having problems till I sold it. One of them had a brake failure while I was on ecp and I have to find ways to slow it down.

After that 2 cars, all my cars are AD serviced only.

workshop outside is cheaper for a reason. But I am not taking a chance with my life and my passenger life . Remember that once inside a vehicle, you and your family life will depend on it already. If there is something wrong, there is no escape....you are being wrapped inside it.

• Dislike 1

That is a very good point you made. Our cars are dangerous weapons in a way, and hence the need to ensure they remain safe in our hands. My wife has had a the V70 - old model for almost 5 years and then the new model for over 3 years. Warranty for 3 years is good and Volvo Singapore reminds you of the run out date so that you get a last service and they do try to replace anything they should before the run out date in my experience. For the last 8 years, so far for maintenance I have spent only $800.00+ total on my previous volvo and none so far for my existing. ( of course excluding tyres and battery ) SM - now called Wearnes Automotive - gives the best service - even better than Lexus. I think Volvo parts are not as expensive as BMW or Audi, but they are not cheap and so far, in my experience, they know what they are doing and will ensure problems are resolved satisfactorily. Fortunately I have never had any with my Volvos!

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Got a quote from SM to change Timing Belt in SGD1900.

Did it at Khang Auto at Sin Min, SGD880.

Can't comment on service but including 120k servicing, ATF flushing and replacing Front Brake Pads, paid SGD1088.

Cheap PACO SYN 10W-40 oil but it works.

Just went for 2nd servcing and opted for Mobile 1 0w-40. Paid SGD175.

Whole workshop run by China workers, a bit chor lor, let some scratches on my front right mudguard, probably jeans or belt button/buckle.

Did a quick polish and the day went on fine.

Its a 5yr old S80 2.0T so I am probably not fussy but if its a newer car, perhaps factoring AD costs to run the car would be best proposition.

Just a thought.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Can't comment on service but including 120k servicing, ATF flushing and replacing Front Brake Pads, paid SGD1088.

Whole workshop run by China workers, a bit chor lor, let some scratches on my front right mudguard, probably jeans or belt button/buckle.

Its a 5yr old S80 2.0T so I am probably not fussy but if its a newer car, perhaps factoring AD costs to run the car would be best proposition.

Just a thought.

btw, if you go for non AD option, remember that these workshops will not have advance diagnostics. So the ECU adjustments and resetting can't be done if you choose to go elsewhere. If you can live with this, then go for it.

Just a thought.

so cheap? Extra S$208 for the labour only or including the parts (i mean the atf oil and brake pad)?

I thot SM charge timing belt around S$900 only?

Edited by Mcf777

Hi everyone

i thinking of getting an old XC90 that is about 5 years old. any one driving the same car? Is it good and reliable? Any indication of the servicing charges say for 70km/80km etc?Thanks

• Praise 1

Hello All,

I bought a 5 yr old XC90 in July with 110k km. Now it's time to do the 120k servicing I have been asking around and here are the answers I got in my research.

SM charges $685 for the 120k+ $1185 for the timing belt change (both before GST) total w GST is $1990. I am not planning on skipping on the timing belt change and I don't recommend anyone skip this - "cheap insurance" as they call it.

Many have suggested going to M'sia (JB or KL) to do it. JB has been called a cowboy town by many of my M'sian friends, so I enquired at Federal Auto in KL as I frequently drive up there. Federal Auto quoted MYR 2,000 for the 120k, 3,000 for the 120k + timing belt which means a savings of about $700. However they take 2 full days and don't work on weekends so you will need to take leave to go shopping or play golf when your car is being serviced (not a bad option if you ask me...can also bring the woman along :op)

Some of the Volvo owners who mod their cars go to Griffin Auto in Sin Ming Dr, which is a place I've heard is reliable but didn't call about the servicing as I've decided to do it at SM for peace of mind and accountability (cannot drive up to KL everyday to make noise if anything goes wrong).

Anshng, I think there are lemons for all cars and you take a risk anytime you buy used like I did. There are also many XC90s running around on the road presumably problem free. To mitigate the risk, you might want to make sure the dealer you buy from offers a non AD warranty (apparently they have this and can purchase it from Khang Auto - same place mentioned by Dorunrun) or you get it under market price and so budget the difference for repairs/maintenance.

I have a friend who switched from VW to Volvo and swears that Volvo servicing despite bring notoriously high, is still more reasonable than VW. I had difficulty believing this until an Aunt whose husband drives a Phaeton and had problems with his "starter" (quoting my Aunt, no idea what's wrong with the car) was initially quoted $10k to fix it, and when he mentioned he would scrap it, they investigated further and revised the estimate to $4k - $5k. Thought there may be alot more truth to my friend's claim after that. You might want to confirm that at the VAGSG forum.

That being said, if you can bear with the extremely high fuel consumption ($120 a tank and takes me max 400km), more expensive maintenance and parts, I'm very happy with mine. There's no other car I'd rather be in on the N-S highway when everything is left to chance if something should go wrong. I figure my chances are much increased inside a Volvo.

If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them the best I can.

Good luck in your search!

• Praise 1

Hello All,

I bought a 5 yr old XC90 in July with 110k km. Now it's time to do the 120k servicing I have been asking around and here are the answers I got in my research.

SM charges $685 for the 120k+ $1185 for the timing belt change (both before GST) total w GST is $1990. I am not planning on skipping on the timing belt change and I don't recommend anyone skip this - "cheap insurance" as they call it.

Many have suggested going to M'sia (JB or KL) to do it. JB has been called a cowboy town by many of my M'sian friends, so I enquired at Federal Auto in KL as I frequently drive up there. Federal Auto quoted MYR 2,000 for the 120k, 3,000 for the 120k + timing belt which means a savings of about $700. However they take 2 full days and don't work on weekends so you will need to take leave to go shopping or play golf when your car is being serviced (not a bad option if you ask me...can also bring the woman along :op)

Some of the Volvo owners who mod their cars go to Griffin Auto in Sin Ming Dr, which is a place I've heard is reliable but didn't call about the servicing as I've decided to do it at SM for peace of mind and accountability (cannot drive up to KL everyday to make noise if anything goes wrong).

Anshng, I think there are lemons for all cars and you take a risk anytime you buy used like I did. There are also many XC90s running around on the road presumably problem free. To mitigate the risk, you might want to make sure the dealer you buy from offers a non AD warranty (apparently they have this and can purchase it from Khang Auto - same place mentioned by Dorunrun) or you get it under market price and so budget the difference for repairs/maintenance.

I have a friend who switched from VW to Volvo and swears that Volvo servicing despite bring notoriously high, is still more reasonable than VW. I had difficulty believing this until an Aunt whose husband drives a Phaeton and had problems with his "starter" (quoting my Aunt, no idea what's wrong with the car) was initially quoted $10k to fix it, and when he mentioned he would scrap it, they investigated further and revised the estimate to $4k - $5k. Thought there may be alot more truth to my friend's claim after that. You might want to confirm that at the VAGSG forum.

That being said, if you can bear with the extremely high fuel consumption ($120 a tank and takes me max 400km), more expensive maintenance and parts, I'm very happy with mine. There's no other car I'd rather be in on the N-S highway when everything is left to chance if something should go wrong. I figure my chances are much increased inside a Volvo.

If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them the best I can.

Good luck in your search!

Hi Gregwoon

Thanks for your info. I am still looking and wanted to buy from a direct owner instead as i have heard a lot of stories about dealer.any idea how much is the warranty?I am not sure what is below market price as this is the first time i am getting a used car. Did you buy yours from a dealer? Mind sharing what are the things you research on before you commit to this particular one?like the depreciation, paper value, facelift etc?Mind sharing how much you paid for it?

I do not frequent Malaysia and as such can only look at local alternatives leh.

based on your $120 a tank and max 400km, it mean $0.3 per km or abt 6km per litre? Is yr more highway than urban driving or mixture?Heard from other forum it is 6.5-7 but it looks like yours is lower.

Hmm btw is your insurance $4k as it is turbo charged and more expensive?I am looking for sunroof model but it seems to be very limited.

Thanks thanks =)

↡ Advertisement