• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
91 replies to this topic | 136 praises

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:59 PM

Lethalstrike
  • Lethalstrike
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Was browsing through sgcarmart for Mercs which are more than 10 years old and happened to spot a few gems, besides the usual W124s. cool.gif

Its interesting to see the classic Merc genes and design slowly evolving over the years as well.

If the owners happened to chance across this thread, could you kindly share with us the experience of owning a classic Merc in Singapore, besides being patient and having wads of cash on hand for restorations and ad-hoc repairs? biggrin.gif

1. W111? Earliest predecessor to the S-classes

link

2. R129 in chio chio chilli red wub.gif

link

3. W201 The legendary ex-DTM Cosworth 2.3-16

link

4. W113 Predecessor to the SL-classes

Visit My Website

5. W108/109 Predecessor to the S-classes

link

6. W123, still used as taxis in some European countries

link

7. R107, another SL from the 1970s. Dun really like this round quad lamps variant though

link

8. W140. A 5-litre V8 german tank registered in 1994. Can't imagine the roadtax then... happy.gif

link

9. W126. Most successful S-class which seals Merc's status as the leading luxury car maker.

link

10. R170. First SLK with mass-produced folding metal roof. Destined to be a future classic.

link
DACH, antelop and BanCoe praised this

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:13 AM

Prostcode
  • Premium member
    Prostcode
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Yes! I love laopok cars so much.. from Mercs, BMW, Honda, Toyota, Nissan...

Automobiles back then were the s3x!!!

I LOVE THEM ALL!
1 Anonymous member praised this
1992 Honda Civic Si (EG5)
1996 Honda Civic SiR (EK4)
2007 Subaru Impreza WRX (GDA)

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:22 AM

Ishiwgao
  • Premium member
    Ishiwgao
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

waa.. i like the first one. wish it was with dealer then can go down and take photo :P

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:23 AM

Benarsenal
  • Benarsenal
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I know my Dad's dream is to own an old Merc sedan.

One day, maybe. One day...

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:23 AM

Jamesc
  • Premium member
    Jamesc
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I am a big fan of old Mercs.

Drove a 1972 S class in Msia before.

And sat in a W123 taxi in Msia also.
Say no to harsh artificial chemicals

that pollute the earth

and go natural. [thumbsup]

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:52 AM

Solar
  • Premium member
    Solar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

yeah.. love the red one since i was a teenager.. but the road tax is a killer.. not practical... unfulfilled dream bigcry.gif only have matchbox ones instead

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:36 AM

Civic3106
  • Premium member
    Civic3106
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

I love the W108,W109 and W111. Simply irresistible.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:40 AM

Hermitage
  • Hermitage
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Waaaahh!! The W113 cabrio in Burgundy is DAMN F**KING chio lorrrrrrr!!!! Too bad it's on vintage number plate, can only drive 28 days a year sad.gif
No matter where you come from, as long as you are Human...you are an AFRICAN.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

Lowrider
  • Lowrider
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Im a big fan of W201... 2.3-16. MT.
Used to drive it back in the States during my school days... very hard to get MT.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:05 PM

Lethalstrike
  • Lethalstrike
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Waaaahh!! The W113 cabrio in Burgundy is DAMN F**KING chio lorrrrrrr!!!! Too bad it's on vintage number plate, can only drive 28 days a year sad.gif

Yes, the W113 is my favourite among all the classic Mercs. cool.gif Fantastic and timeless design, this example seems to be lovingly restored.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:14 PM

Davidtkl
  • Davidtkl
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I like W124 and 190E.

You can find some more here:

http://www.mercnews.net/classics/

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:34 PM

Happily1986
  • Premium member
    Happily1986
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Am very impressed by W124 since i read that it is the last from Mercedes's over-engineered era and also the fact that numerous examples have been found to clock intergalactic miles. Furthermore, i got the impression from forummers in MCF that spares can be easily had and at a reasonable price from Waterloo street.

There is one white W124 that has been beautifully restored in my HDB carpark. The owner went to great lengths to swap out the stock headlamps for an integrated cluster lamp that uses HID. Very clean stock look. I have stopped and listened to the engine note once when i was walking home. The engine note told me that the engine is still in very good condition indeed.
1923 - 2015. You will be missed. Any possibility you can come back and salvage the current mess? Pretty please?

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:40 PM

Mightymito
  • Mightymito
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Aiyo if you are a fan please call it classic lah ...laopok shakehead.gif

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:46 PM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I have always liked the W124.
One with renewed COE (till 2019) would probably cost $30k.
Seems very affordable. Is there any catch, e.g. high maintenace/repair costs?

I would be happy to own a W124 or Cefiro 200JK.
Both have the classic Ah Pek Towkay look.

Edited by Albeniz, 22 October 2010 - 05:50 PM.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:58 PM

Amgm125
  • Premium member
    Amgm125
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

W124 and R129 are my favourites.
Esp the R129 SL, reminds me of those 500SL model cars which were very common during my childhood days. : D
Seeing a clean original always bring a smile to my face.
1992&94 Cagive Mito,1995 Aprilia RS125,1997 Aprilia RS250 (Past)
1992 Civic Esi (M), 2004 GDA WRX2.0 (M), Wrx Stis (past)
Present:
2006 GDA WRX 2.5 (M)
1997 W140 Benz S320L
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:59 PM

Lethalstrike
  • Lethalstrike
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Am very impressed by W124 since i read that it is the last from Mercedes's over-engineered era and also the fact that numerous examples have been found to clock intergalactic miles. Furthermore, i got the impression from forummers in MCF that spares can be easily had and at a reasonable price from Waterloo street.

There is one white W124 that has been beautifully restored in my HDB carpark. The owner went to great lengths to swap out the stock headlamps for an integrated cluster lamp that uses HID. Very clean stock look. I have stopped and listened to the engine note once when i was walking home. The engine note told me that the engine is still in very good condition indeed.

The W124 is indeed an overengineered Merc. Some many examples are still running around in Singapore, even though they are already more than 15 years old.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:02 PM

Lethalstrike
  • Lethalstrike
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Aiyo if you are a fan please call it classic lah ...laopok shakehead.gif

Of course when i mentioned laopok i don't mean it literally.

Somehow "laopok" seems to be a more intimate term to describe these classics, as least to me lah. happy.gif

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:24 PM

Vinceng
  • Premium member
    Vinceng
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

For W124, recommended to get 16V fuel inject model from '93 to '95.

Those 8V carb examples from '88 to '92 are more problematic .

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:13 AM

Qr25vet
  • Qr25vet
    5th Gear
    Author Image

I love the 190E cossie...and of course the W124 E-class...old mercs are built solidly unlike today
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speeding has never killed anyone...suddenly becoming stationary is what kills you

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:34 AM

Xspace
  • Xspace
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Do love some of them but it's so exp in Singapore...
Please follow the signature guidelines.

Back to Conti Talk  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: Anyone, into, laopok, Mercs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users