Ah! the joy of a manual..

RadX

I realize I got a bad habit, like to depress the clutch when slowing now.

I guess this will lead to premature wear too.

Woolahlah you mean downshift for the engine brake to kick in, love doing that with the engine roaring sound hahaha. Our Car is slapped with 10yrs coe shit, i make the best fun out of the 10yrs.
↡ Advertisement

Woolahlah you mean downshift for the engine brake to kick in, love doing that with the engine roaring sound hahaha. Our Car is slapped with 10yrs coe shit, i make the best fun out of the 10yrs.

i dropped 2-3 gears also got no roar! The most can feel the tyres firmly planted on the ground....minimal breaking dropped those gears released clutch and wooh.... hang on to the handbrakes.....lol.
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

yeah.. engine brake purpose..

how often do you guys change your clutch oil?

in the past, I only change like every 60k.

was told I should do it at routine of 40k or when encounter a flood.

yup...me too and coast to the traffic light or put to neutral and let the car coast to the junction.....lazy fella...

Previously when driving manual. Exiting expressway if got no traffic I won't bother with brakes, just downshift 5th to 4th gear. If the bend is a bit tighter then I'll just downshift 2 gears from 5th to 3rd. Won't really call it a roar, but the engine rpm go up and the my friend beside me will be screaming bloody murder and ask me to slow down. I'll point at my dashboard and say, "see 50km/h only what. And I didn't even need to touch my brakes"

Hahahaha.

• Praise 2

Supercharged

yup...me too and coast to the traffic light or put to neutral and let the car coast to the junction.....lazy fella...

Previously when driving manual. Exiting expressway if got no traffic I won't bother with brakes, just downshift 5th to 4th gear. If the bend is a bit tighter then I'll just downshift 2 gears from 5th to 3rd. Won't really call it a roar, but the engine rpm go up and the my friend beside me will be screaming bloody murder and ask me to slow down. I'll point at my dashboard and say, "see 50km/h only what. And I didn't even need to touch my brakes"

Hahahaha.

i dropped to 3rd gear for the bend at wdlands ave 2 from tpe/sle. Think the speed was around 70/80kmph as i exit the bend....lol.

oh ok, then I am doing it right.

I also cruise and in neutral, haha.

save petrol

dont know right or wrong lar bro...hahaha. But i very sure SSDC didnt taught me this way....they say must use engine breaking.....

Yes pls don't do that. Nvr use the clutch pedal as a foot rest.
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Yes pls don't do that. Nvr use the clutch pedal as a foot rest.

haha, noted.

I try to, bad habit dies hard [smash]

Wa I pasted this sticker on my windscreen last time when I was also driving manual transmission.

Tumpang a group of friends home and one of them, a girl. Which I found out to be super feminist kind.

She saw the sticker jitao *TRIGGERED* start questioning me why must be men, where I got the decal, who printed it blah blah blah.

I was damn pissed and ask her go fly kite and find her way back herself. Next day she wrote an essay on her Facebook indirectly pointing at me and talk about all the feminist stuff.

Delete and block her immediately.

Did you ask her if she served her NS?

• Praise 1

I ks abit, I every year change my brake, gear and coolant. Milage about 20k a year.

50k for my clutch and brake oils 

I ks abit, I every year change my brake, gear and coolant. Milage about 20k a year.

your car will love u deep deep :) hehe

50k for my clutch and brake oils 

your car will love u deep deep :) hehe

Not very expensive change, 100+ for all. But it ensures my car stays in well condition.

That downshift gurgle on my Flat-Boxer with twin Weber carburretors was intoxicating, exhirlerating and simply heavenly !!

Those were the days ... 20 years driving 4 cars with the manual shift stick!

After the automatic "lull" years, am glad to have just added a manual car to my stable of automatics!

Edited by merc280v6

This thread is pure poison. Felt so tempted by all the posts that I've just added another set of wheels to the stable. A cute but nippy alfa mito 1.4 turbo 6MT.

Just placed deposit today. Will be joining the fraternity of manual-again drivers soon. :D

Might be semi retiring the AMG GT to special occasion status. The M140i will be driven by wife as usual but I'm gonna try getting her used to a manual, so one day I can replace the bimmer hatch with a manual M3 (my ulterior motive heehee). :D

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

Someone had related manuals to power-on-demand (at the right gear, at the right time) in an earlier post.

I cannot agree more to that.

For much less bhp/ torque, a smaller, nippy manual hatch can give a good fight to automatic cars of even higher engine capacity ... especially on bends (where rpm-to-gear matching is all so crucial ... with the human mind & eyes providing the needed feedforward / feedback reactions) pulling away cleanly out of the apex and even stretching all the way to the red line ... when you like it and for as long as you'd want it to be!

The joys of driving a manual is lost on the current brood of young drivers who seem to think that all the electronic faffle that they get on their cars that has coddled them makes them awesome drivers. Sigh.

Most killer statement for the night: "I don't understand what the fuss is about driving manual - I'm driving a DSG and it's perfectly fine. I fact it's faster than a manual and I can smoke any manual car any day. Manual drivers have no skill at all." :darkmood:

Edited by Terrylmt
↡ Advertisement