SIA pulls 3 A380s out of service

1fast1

the plane model that kenna the most accidents are the boeing 737...but it also happens to be the most popular models for short flights..

OT a bit, SQ006 crashed due to environmental factor on a very wet night therefore i still consider SQ a very safe airline to take compare to Qantas.

More like due to airport lighting got problem, and also the crew was not alert or fully aware of the ground layout of the airport (hence, turning too early into taxiway rather than the designated runway). Still feel very safe?? [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

I think SQ maintenance program may be different from Qantas lah due to different type of operation.

It is good that they do precautionary engine change . I think they adapt a pro-active approach in continuous maintenance.

This Qantas grounding the whole fleet may be a good thing to do, but I see a lot of wayang element inside there too for publicity.

You know the ang mio lah, always make use the media to act act only.

This is not crew mutiny, the Pilot in Command has to assess the aircraft and situation and determine if the aircraft is safe to fly. if he is aware of the oil leaks in the engine, and takes a precautionary meansure not to fly, its a indication of good airmanship and safety awareness.

Captain Jubilee, I want to fly with u leh :wub:

Airbus' A380s could be broken up for parts

PARIS • Airbus' A380 superjumbo faces the ignominy of being broken up for spare parts if second-hand operators for the oldest jets cannot be found in coming months.

The double-decker jets could be "parted out" to recover engines and other spares worth at least US$100 million (S$138 million) per plane, according to German fund manager Dr Peters, which owns four A380s due to be returned between October and June by Singapore Airlines following the expiry of 10-year lease deals.

At the same time, talks are continuing with six potential operators of the jets, including an Asian low-cost airline that would fly them in a 700-seat single-class layout, Dr Peters' chief executive officer Anselm Gehling said in an interview.

Prospective users also include carriers in the US, which has so far eschewed the model, and Europe, where British Airways owner IAG is continuing to evaluate deploying used A380s at airlines within the group, he said.

"Our main goal is to find new lessees," Mr Gehling said. "We're also willing to sell the aircraft as some airlines told us they'd prefer that."

Airbus struck an order blank on selling new A380s last year and has offered to revamp the model with fuel-saving winglets and 80 extra seats on top of the standard 550 to improve its appeal. Rival Boeing last month dropped the very large aircraft category from its 20-year forecast, saying it sees no long-term future for either the Airbus plane or its own 747.

"Parting out" can be a lucrative option even for relatively young planes, with components - especially turbine elements - carefully managed in the aftermarket. Original lease terms on the A380s require that they be returned with engines, landing gear and auxiliary power units effectively as new.

A spokesman said Airbus remains confident in the market for second-hand A380s, adding that used planes will present a growth opportunity for new entrants and operators with different business models, as well as for major carriers with the jet already in their fleet, or are considering adding it.

http://www.straitstimes.com/business/airbus-a380s-could-be-broken-up-for-parts

Hypersonic

SQ also use 10 years lease. 

The A380 is only being sustained by Emirates, virtually the only real customer. And with the new USA ban, suspect they will have problems sustaining demand as well.

Airbus' A380s could be broken up for parts

PARIS • Airbus' A380 superjumbo faces the ignominy of being broken up for spare parts if second-hand operators for the oldest jets cannot be found in coming months.

The double-decker jets could be "parted out" to recover engines and other spares worth at least US$100 million (S$138 million) per plane, according to German fund manager Dr Peters, which owns four A380s due to be returned between October and June by Singapore Airlines following the expiry of 10-year lease deals.

At the same time, talks are continuing with six potential operators of the jets, including an Asian low-cost airline that would fly them in a 700-seat single-class layout, Dr Peters' chief executive officer Anselm Gehling said in an interview.

Prospective users also include carriers in the US, which has so far eschewed the model, and Europe, where British Airways owner IAG is continuing to evaluate deploying used A380s at airlines within the group, he said.

"Our main goal is to find new lessees," Mr Gehling said. "We're also willing to sell the aircraft as some airlines told us they'd prefer that."

Airbus struck an order blank on selling new A380s last year and has offered to revamp the model with fuel-saving winglets and 80 extra seats on top of the standard 550 to improve its appeal. Rival Boeing last month dropped the very large aircraft category from its 20-year forecast, saying it sees no long-term future for either the Airbus plane or its own 747.

"Parting out" can be a lucrative option even for relatively young planes, with components - especially turbine elements - carefully managed in the aftermarket. Original lease terms on the A380s require that they be returned with engines, landing gear and auxiliary power units effectively as new.

A spokesman said Airbus remains confident in the market for second-hand A380s, adding that used planes will present a growth opportunity for new entrants and operators with different business models, as well as for major carriers with the jet already in their fleet, or are considering adding it.

http://www.straitstimes.com/business/airbus-a380s-could-be-broken-up-for-parts

• Praise 1

SQ also use 10 years lease. 

The A380 is only being sustained by Emirates, virtually the only real customer. And with the new USA ban, suspect they will have problems sustaining demand as well.

Wonder why US carriers don't use A380s, they know something we don't ?  [lipsrsealed]

For me nowadays I avoid A380s if I have a choice. Boarding and debus for 400 people ...  [sleeping]

If no choice have to take SQ one then I choose upper deck. 

Hypersonic

I flew 380 coming back from Hong Kong.

Very smooth can hardly feel the take off.

Just don't sit next to the door in case

open during flight and get sucked out.

:D

Hypersonic
(edited)

Wonder why US carriers don't use A380s, they know something we don't ?  [lipsrsealed]

For me nowadays I avoid A380s if I have a choice. Boarding and debus for 400 people ...  [sleeping]

If no choice have to take SQ one then I choose upper deck. 

hmm maybe it's something more practical.

USA airport infrastructure is almost close to developing nations standard. 

380s would require special aerobridges to be built at the corresponding airports.

Maybe the USA carriers don't think it's worth the operational inflexibility of deploying them. 

I haven't had the chance to take one.

you can only get sucked out at the low altitudes if someone opens the door. The cabin pressure is higher than the surrounding atmosphere at higher altitudes so u can't open the door. Of course a bomb solves all that  [:p]

Edited by Lala81

380s would require special aerobridges to be built at the corresponding airports.

Maybe the USA carriers don't think it's worth the operational inflexibility of deploying them. 

True, but am pretty sure international carriers are flying A380s to US airports, so airports would have to be A380-ready anyways.

So just wondering why US carriers themselves don't use A380s. 

I have tried SQ and QF many years back when just launched, novelty lah. Now many planes also have touch screen 10 inch entertainment systems.

Good thing is when kena turbulence probably much less shaking then say the A320.  [laugh]

Hypersonic

True, but am pretty sure international carriers are flying A380s to US airports, so airports would have to be A380-ready anyways.

I have tried SQ and QF many years back when just launched, novelty lah. Now many planes also have touch screen 10 inch entertainment systems.

Good thing is when kena turbulence probably much less shaking then say the A320.  [laugh]

yeah the turbulence is quite a lot ... especially a320. But once u taken a ATR-72 before, everything also no fight haha 

Feel like a roller coaster even without turbulence  [laugh]

Hypersonic

you can only get sucked out at the low altitudes if someone opens the door. The cabin pressure is higher than the surrounding atmosphere at higher altitudes so u can't open the door. Of course a bomb solves all that [:p]

It's a myth cannot get sucked out of plane.

One pilot kenna sucked out before.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390

Here is the pic.

http://home.bt.com/news/on-this-day/june-10-1990-miracle-of-ba-flight-5390-as-captain-is-sucked-out-of-the-cockpit-and-survives-11363985642960

Lucky the steward held on to his legs.

• Praise 8

Hypersonic

It's a myth cannot get sucked out of plane.

One pilot kenna sucked out before.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390

no. it's a myth that u can pull open the doors of the aeroplane in midflight at higher altitudes. 

Like i said a bomb can solve that. Or explosive decompression.

I think there's another one with a domestic airline in hawaii that a passenger and a stewardesss got sucked out when the rivets holding the fuselage panel cracked. 

yeah the turbulence is quite a lot ... especially a320. But once u taken a ATR-72 before, everything also no fight haha 

Feel like a roller coaster even without turbulence  [laugh]

Well, if you keen to try out A380 with the family better try the SQ ones before its taken out of service.

For SQ economy class seats can choose upstairs. I find it a bit more peaceful upstairs as there are only around 120 or so seats.

Only thing you are exposed to more UV rays then the chaps on the lower deck.  :XD:

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Well, if you keen to try out A380 with the family better try the SQ ones before its taken out of service.

For SQ economy class seats can choose upstairs. I find it a bit more peaceful upstairs as there are only around 120 or so seats.

Only thing you are exposed to more UV rays then the chaps on the lower deck.  :XD:

i peasant. So taking scoot/aka tigerair to Taipei in November. Can't afford SQ lol.

Hope don't have the scoot debacle that happened in bangkok. really terrible to make the passengers sit in the terminal wait so long.

• Praise 1

If you are stone drunk

no difference right

even riding aladdin magic carpet feels like riding on silk

(smile)

• Praise 4

i peasant. So taking scoot/aka tigerair to Taipei in November. Can't afford SQ lol.

Hope don't have the scoot debacle that happened in bangkok. really terrible to make the passengers sit in the terminal wait so long.

hey, maybe by then Scoot would have deployed Dreamliner for SIN-TPE routes.

suppose to be a better travelling experience.  [thumbsup]

for budget carriers so far tried Jetstar only, no major issues nor delays. just that coming back from HK no aerobridge link, have to take bus to tarmac. 

find an american company to work for

they fly their docs first class if not available on airplane type then business class

if not change job and apply Lee Hsien yang 's previous job as CEO of singtel.

his job entitlement includes first class air travel

• Praise 1

[laugh]

Just my guess only. Could it be that US carriers favour Boeing being an American company vs Airbus who is a European company?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5