Any successful travel insurance claim before ?

Joemit7850

Recent trip in Nov 2018.. got held up at our London accommodation as the entire street was cordoned off for a crime scene investigation. Had to take a later train to Paris which resulted in missing our flight back to SG i.e. 24 hour delay as we came back on the next flight which is 24 hours later.

Bought Aviva insurance. To be fair, this sort of scenario isn't one of the insured events, nor does it really fit any of the definitions if you read the T&C's. I submitted online claim about 2 weeks after the event as I had to go for ICT after coming back, and it took a month for Aviva to reply me with the result. Long story short, my claim was not successful but I received compensation from Aviva "on a goodwill basis". Compensation given based on Missed Connection/Departure category.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Claimed over $2k from AXA for post trip medical scans, out patient.

Took quite some time to get approved but in the end, they paid up so no compliants.

Claimed $400 for whole family for canceled flight.Super easy claim, very fast approval.

AXA has served us well for many years but getting ex. $1k for annual plan for 2 adults 2 kids.

not sure if I should switch to MSIG

You don't care about the most impt ones? Hospitalization and medical evac.

Frankly if it is just for the 3 things you listed, I might not even buy travel insurance.

Right now if i compare NTUC income vs DBS Travellershield (Chubb).

For the lowest tier plan, overseas medical expenses (adult/child) NTUC vs Chubb is 

250k/150k vs 300k/200k.

mid tier is 500k/200k vs 500k/300k

For roughly the same cost, i would opt for the latter (whether u choose lower or mid tier plans).

For the lowest tier plan, overseas medical expenses (adult/child) NTUC vs Chubb is 

250k/150k vs 300k/200k.

For roughly the same cost, i would opt for the latter (whether u choose lower or mid tier plans).

My advise is to choose insurance plan with $1m medical repatriation cover.

My advise is to choose insurance plan with $1m medical repatriation cover

Yes. 1 mil or unlimited. Not that i know if 500k is enough just for the repatriation  [:p] Don't want to find out haha

But generally the better plans all have 1mil or above.

My advise is to choose insurance plan with $1m medical repatriation cover

Yes. 1 mil or unlimited. Not that i know if 500k is enough just for the repatriation  [:p] Don't want to find out haha

But generally the better plans all have 1mil or above.

250k/150k vs 300k/200k.

they are more or less the same, just choose the one with good review on claim and cheap   [laugh]  [laugh]

you won't max out the claim unless for serious medical condition emergency repatriation.  

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys. I have a question that maybe any of you could have a clue. Context: I rented a car through an operator (lets say carrentals.com) and I purchase their insurance. Then when I take the car the company is different (let's say Alamo). So basically some piece of sh**t broke the car window and stole stuff from the inside. I had to pay initially everything o Alamo and then make the claim to the tour operator since I got their insurance. The thing is that in Alamo initially they charged more than they should (other damage that was already there) so after a few minutes they refunded me. Now when I have to make the claim I have the invoice with the inflated initial charge and a bank statement to support it (the refund appears in another bank transaction), which is all that the insurance company requests. Do you think they only check the documentation or they contact directly with the rental car company to exchange info. Thanks a million!

Supersonic

What's your policy number?

I can call the insurer and help you ask about their procedure.

Neutral Newbie

What's your policy number?

I can call the insurer and help you ask about their procedure.

TAke it easy dude, you are the morailty police here or what? You do not know the specifics and what actually happened and if the insurance ripped us off firstly (as they normally do), but you attiutude here, aligning with a big company is... just keep it to myself. Go pray the lord that you encoutered a sinner on the internet.

Supersonic

Definitely got successful claims. Here's a successful travel insurance claim story in Singapore: 

"I was skeptical if I would hear back from them, and almost forgot about the whole incident. Lo and behold, I received a cheque in the mail from Tokio Marine two weeks later. The amount was $107.70.

Would I use Shenton Brokers again? This would be a definite yes. The true test of any insurance policy is in the handling of a claim."

Should post your phone number also.

i would suggest to buy from trusted travel agents in the first place because refund policies procedure usually takes times. As far as personal experience i know some friends who got their refund done last year. Slow procedure!!

↡ Advertisement