Renault Fluence 1.6, 1k more than Toyota Altis

Help1

1.6 manual. Not the sport version. He drove a 260hp colt railliart before his evo too. Actually, you don't need top end power much in Singapore road to be honest. Zippy, & responsive power/torque can sometimes be more fun. Press the throttle hard, power comes instantly, shiok.

I don't like cars that must rev under high rpm then power comes.

jus sharin; i tried megane 1.6A 2 years back - pickup not fantastic, worse than civic & avante 1.6. build quality - interior plastics felt too brittle for comfort; the scenic centre armrest plastic felt like it could cut / pierce if broken.

Edited by Fuelsaver

Just went for a test drive. The Fluence is a big car indeed on the exterior. Interior space, I can say is around the same as Forte or Avante, the boot space, the Fluence simply win hands down, just huge!! The build quality is good with soft touch plastics, just that the loud auto lock clank does spoils the quality ambience to the interior though. Engine very smooth, probably because it is coupled with the CVT drivetrain. Well, moving off is as per normal geared automatics, the response is there. But when it is up to speed, the acceleration for overtaking is pretty weak. Overall on the road impression in comfort doesn't really feel continental to it because, there is quite some road noise while riding is soft and absorbent. Handling wise can't comment on it, because I just did it as per normal driving.

Just a quick summary to my short test drive of the Fluence. Well, it is made in Korea, so perhaps the styling is not really like what Renaults used to offer. It looks abit high off the ground and the original 16 inch rims look small for such big car. But for the price of around $85k, if I'm a potential buyer for an Altis, I would turn to this Fluence instead because of its impressive equipment, space and styling. Overall a very good deal for the amount of money paid.

Edited by Heartbreakid

Neutral Newbie

Just find out that the OMV of the Korean made Fluence is only $15.5K and they are selling it for $85.5K!!! That is a big big rip off. The Altis at $1K cheaper has a higher OMV by $1K and all this means that AD is making a huge profit from their customers. Just taking the old Megane sedan for comparison, the OMV is about $14.8K and the AD was selling at $73.5K with ample profit for themselves. The Fluence's OMV at less than $1K higher than the old Megane is selling at more than $10K higher than the old model, this is what I call a GIANT RIP OFF from their customers! If you r willing to be rip off by the AD, go and buy a Fluence and later when the cars need to be sent into their workshop later on, you'll be ripped off one more time. Good luck buying Fluence.

Neutral Newbie

I'm not advocating not buying cars if the AD profit level is too much, but for a Korean made car like Fluence it is just over the limit that the AD is charging. If you do some simple maths, the sum is as such: OMV $16,000, ARF $16,000, import duty $3,200, guarantee COE cost @$36,000 (now @$34,001), 1 year road tax & reg. fee $1,000, other cost like preparing the car,etc @$3,000, and profit of $5,000. With all these costs and big profit add up, the price should be $80,200. Pls also bear in mind I have given more than enough allowances for COE, OMV, road tax and other costs for my calculation.

I actually like the design. The only reasons are, diesel and the stories that frighten me. My son in law drove one for 3 years till he COE runs out. So, not sure how accurate are the story but i kiasu.