MAZDA 6

Voxy28

I have done extensive tests with different tyre widths, the narrower tyres are usually significantly more efficient. Other parameters would be "eco" tyres with lower rolling resistance, tyres with stiffer sidewalls and tire pressure, etc. Slimmer is surely more "aerodynamic" as this is science. Anyway this point came from a website that I was reading. 

ya i agree slimmer is more aerodynamic. I was thinking the difference could be negligible, say 235 vs 215 wide tyre

But since u have tested, thanks for sharing

↡ Advertisement

ya i agree slimmer is more aerodynamic. I was thinking the difference could be negligible, say 235 vs 215 wide tyre

Guys pls DO NOT downsize or down width your tires just becos you are trying to save fuel. 

You will loose control and overall handling powess as at result

What you need are touring tires, tires that are quiet, tires that offer fuel saving properties and low rolling resistance. 

And seriously the need to maintain the optimal air pressure in all 4 tires at all times plays a much bigger part in saving fuel and ensuring you have a comfortable and safe ride at all times. The need to ensure all 4 wheels are properly aligned plays a part too

You are right, aerodynamically the difference is probably negligible since the wheel is already encased inside the wheel arch. But the fuel saving is actually very significant between let's say a 235 and a 215. 215 tyres are very safe. Not suggesting anyone go for a 175.

Guys pls DO NOT downsize or down width your tires just becos you are trying to save fuel. 

You will loose control and overall handling powess as at result

Actually under normal day to day driving (not racing), the risk of aquaplaning is high and a narrower tire which has lower risk of aquaplaning is thus considered "safer".

Actually under normal day to day driving (not racing), the risk of aquaplaning is high and a narrower tire which has lower risk of aquaplaning is thus considered "safer".

I cannot agree with that but its ok, I still maintain the need to stick with at least stock tire size to be safe and to have good handling

I wonder how the Mazda 6 looks with 185/70 R14 tires LOL [laugh]  [laugh]  [:p]  An instant ACV30 Camry wor big car with tiny tires and jacked up suspension

I cannot agree with that but its ok, I still maintain the need to stick with at least stock tire size to be safe and to have good handling

Haha, I am not trying to convince anyone but just sharing info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaplaning

"Tire tread aspect ratio: The longer and thinner the contact patch, the less likely a tire will aquaplane. tires that present the greatest risk are small in diameter and wide."

Haha, I am not trying to convince anyone but just sharing info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaplaning

"Tire tread aspect ratio: The longer and thinner the contact patch, the less likely a tire will aquaplane. tires that present the greatest risk are small in diameter and wide."

The only time I read the need to narrow the contact patch was with snow tires. But that was more or less conventional wisdom at the time where snow tires tech were nowhere near to where they are these days.

My rental CX 5 had stock 225/65 R17 Dunlop WinterMaxx+ UHP snow tires mounted on the same 17" alloy wheels that you find in local CX5 2L Premium. 

The only time I read the need to narrow the contact patch was with snow tires. But that was more or less conventional wisdom at the time where snow tires tech were nowhere near to where they are these days.

My rental CX 5 had stock 225/65 R17 Dunlop WinterMaxx+ UHP snow tires mounted on the same 17" alloy wheels that you find in local CX5 2L Premium. 

just drive slow over puddle

going 60kmh with 235 wide tyre is safer than going 90kmh with 205 tire

Anyone installed power tailgate with kick sensor?

Share where, cost and quality?

Hi teo,

Awesome car accessories c/o ah seng at kaki bukit will be able to help you ... can let him know Richard recommended.

Quality all tiong one but my kick sensor with stock tailgate is 99.99% accurate and fine after 6 mths.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi teo,

Awesome car accessories c/o ah seng at kaki bukit will be able to help you ... can let him know Richard recommended.

Quality all tiong one but my kick sensor with stock tailgate is 99.99% accurate and fine after 6 mths.

Cheers.

Richard

Thanks Richard, what is quality all tiong one mean?

Hi teo,

Cheers.

Richard

Got website or Facebook for this ah Seng?

Thanks Richard, what is quality all tiong one mean?

Hi teo,

Means dun know how many yrs of usage before 10 yrs coe expires.

Tiong electronics like those t10 t20 h11 h12 led light expire 1-2 yrs from my experience compared to usual life time of 10 yrs.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi teo,

Means dun know how many yrs of usage before 10 yrs coe expires.

Tiong electronics like those t10 t20 h11 h12 led light expire 1-2 yrs from my experience compared to usual life time of 10 yrs.

Cheers.

Richard

I see, thanks for elaborating.

You drive for 6 months... any chassis knocking or suspension knocking noise encountered?

I see, thanks for elaborating.

You drive for 6 months... any chassis knocking or suspension knocking noise encountered?

Hi teo

Sorry for misleading you .. only 3.5k km and just before 3 mths old for the mazda 6.

6 months usage of kick sensor is on my forester .. paiseh.

No, no such noises so far.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

Hi Richard

Want to check if you have used DrArtex services and was it effective? Thinking of engaging their services. Thanks

Hi Sze,

Yes, I did for 1.3 yrs old forester with positive results and hence also did so for the mazda 6.0 executive.

However the designs of the stock door seals of both cars are a bit difference.

For the mazda 6, the one on chassis has step that the Artex rubber round strip does not offer improvement and was not inserted there while the one on the door with Artex rubber round strip is a flap design which also does not make it any better ... the forester uses the one on the chassis and without step with Artex strip nicely pressed down for improved sealing .. hope it make sense when you feel both the chassis and door seals of your mazda.

I find the much cheaper amon door seal to have more notable difference .. and I added just a short sponge per photo that alleviate this notable wind noise behind driver's right ears per photo.

Need more SP on doors and floor pan as well as probably autofoam as I find the road and tyre noise much more apparent than my forester with them but the new michelin primacy 4 ST tyre's thread design also look and sound noiser than the older primacy 3 ST tyres on the forester after 35k km despite claim by Michelin that the newer primacy ST is 0.5db quieter.

Btw, the forester us also with generous amount of 3M insulation into dashboard .. behind glove compartment, headunit, speedometer and very importantly, under the empty space below the speedometer.

Cheers.

Richard

post-149594-0-56886500-1550317519_thumb.jpg

Edited by richard_crl032
↡ Advertisement