Priority of car expenses in your expenditure

Davidklt

I find it strange that some people are unwilling to spend more on stuff that are more useful / helpful/relevant to them but have no qualms on spending thousands on a set of rims and tyres or ICE.

For example:

- Home improvements so everyone else in the family can live more comfortably

- Better entertainment system at home

- A better bed (spend an average 8 hrs a day on it)

- A better laptop or bigger monitor (spend so many hrs staring or using it)

etc.

For me, usually I try to put car expenses last cos I dont use it everyday and at most i spend is just 2 hours a day on it but sometimes of course give in to the odd performance part or set of rims going at a good price. I always thought money can be better spent elsewhere.

What about you? Does your car expenses (wants spending) dictate your total expenditure?

Edited by Davidtkl
↡ Advertisement

If it makes them happy, I dun really care. For me I usually look for a car that comes with most of the things I want so that I won't spend unnecessarily. Anyway I always remind myself that any aftermarket stuff that I install into my car, buy that time cost a lot but when I sell my car these things won't increase the car's value so no point.

Expenses on my car depend on what sort of thing. I spend few k on body kit and basic ice when i get my ride.

I still will spend on maintenance of the car which i find it important becoz i will use my car till my coe end or renew my coe

Basically i use my car less than 30 min daily except when my oc need transport or monthly trip to malacca

Other than spending what need to be spend (petrol,rep,parking,insurance) I will save up the money

I spend 1k plus for a new set of rims and tyres as i nearly skid when the rain and water is too much for my 14 inch botak tyres (found out after being screw by my regular ws mechanic)

I think it up to pple how they place their car. Each to his own.

me too. last priority spending addon on car. to me, it is just a transport.

i never change anything or addon anything to my car. everything stock.

the only time change is during servicing, change oil, whatever fluid, filter, wearout tyres ...

Eg. no point doing steady ICE when i can upgrade my home system where more will benefits.

I find it strange that some people are unwilling to spend more on stuff that are more useful / helpful/relevant to them but have no qualms on spending thousands on a set of rims and tyres or ICE.

For example:

etc.

For me, usually I try to put car expenses last cos I dont use it everyday and at most i spend is just 2 hours a day on it but sometimes of course give in to the odd performance part or set of rims going at a good price. I always thought money can be better spent elsewhere.

What about you? Does your car expenses (wants spending) dictate your total expenditure?

i'm on your side. thats why my cars mostly stock.

but i know of people who are almost hand to mouth and yet they choose to spend money on their cars.

to each his own, i guess. [sunny]

I don't get it too.

I know of people who would spend money to change rims, install ICE, install LEDS etc. But becomes stingy when it comes to good food, tonics, supplements, health checkup, medicine etc.

You mean the your health is not as important as the car?

Sure. Met plenty of those..

I don't get it too.

I know of people who would spend money to change rims, install ICE, install LEDS etc. But becomes stingy when it comes to good food, tonics, supplements, health checkup, medicine etc.

You mean the your health is not as important as the car?

For example:

etc.

Bcos the car is more than just a tool to them.

In SG, many such ppl..

It's the same "logic" where some ppl would rather spend money on branded handbags/shoes/clothes but not willing to spend on healthier food or upgrade their education etc.

Diff ppl are driven by diff needs, nothing new.

Most of my expenses are needs except for the time when i choose to buy a good third party brand of car shampoo and wax [laugh]

If we talk about frills spending then hmmm it should be zero for my case.

For example:

etc.

You said "unwilling," meaning that this applies not only to those who cannot afford, but those who can well afford but would rather spend on their cars than what you have listed.

Then sign me up, especially if the alternative is as what you have listed.

I live in a HDB flat with a basic 5.1 surround system. I see no point going 7.1 or to have a branded system. I use a cheap $60 DVD player. Yes, I would rather spend on my car -_-

I have a very basic bed which comfortable and does not give me aches and pains. I see no point spending thousands of dollars on those mattresses I see in those megastores.

My computer was bought in 2002. Yes, I have upgraded the memory, hard disk, and certainly my broadband speed, but I see no point in getting a new set.

And your examples of expenditure on cars are not necessarily frivolous as well...

- rims

arguably aesthetic, but also arguably for better performance of the car

- ICE

I have heard many friends say they only enjoy music while driving. At home, they watch serials on TV, which seldom require a fantastic sound system...

- tyres

should be less argument here. Tyres are for safety. Easily a few hundred bucks for a new set. Hardly frivolous.

I think bros Timex1441 and Happily1986 have also touched on aesthetics. It's a fine line. If we argue that these are frivolous, the extreme would be that we insist on wearing very old clothes and shoes, because they still function well... [:p]

i'm on your side. thats why my cars mostly stock.

but i know of people who are almost hand to mouth and yet they choose to spend money on their cars.

to each his own, i guess. [sunny]

my car is worse than stock. should had stick to Yokohama Tyre when my first tyre expire.

For example:

etc.

well i think cheap tyres rims and ice all can be found at good prices...

You said "unwilling," meaning that this applies not only to those who cannot afford, but those who can well afford but would rather spend on their cars than what you have listed.

Then sign me up, especially if the alternative is as what you have listed.

I live in a HDB flat with a basic 5.1 surround system. I see no point going 7.1 or to have a branded system. I use a cheap $60 DVD player. Yes, I would rather spend on my car -_-

I have a very basic bed which comfortable and does not give me aches and pains. I see no point spending thousands of dollars on those mattresses I see in those megastores.

My computer was bought in 2002. Yes, I have upgraded the memory, hard disk, and certainly my broadband speed, but I see no point in getting a new set.

And your examples of expenditure on cars are not necessarily frivolous as well...

- rims

arguably aesthetic, but also arguably for better performance of the car

- ICE

I have heard many friends say they only enjoy music while driving. At home, they watch serials on TV, which seldom require a fantastic sound system...

- tyres

should be less argument here. Tyres are for safety. Easily a few hundred bucks for a new set. Hardly frivolous.

I think bros Timex1441 and Happily1986 have also touched on aesthetics. It's a fine line. If we argue that these are frivolous, the extreme would be that we insist on wearing very old clothes and shoes, because they still function well... [:p]

actually buying exercise equipment is one of the best and most cost effective investments...however u will need abit of discipline and drive

↡ Advertisement