• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
92 replies to this topic | 322 praises

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:28 PM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I was shopping around for a resale HDB housing and came across a flat which was quite ideal except for its close proximity to an MRT rail-line.

I am wondering if it is possible to sound-proof a bedroom so that the passing train would not disturb my sleep. How much would it typically cost and is it effective? Would appreciate if you could share your experience.

Edited by Albeniz, 18 December 2010 - 05:30 PM.

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

Nautilus
  • Premium member
    Nautilus
    3rd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Bro, I also stay near the MRT rail-line. The only way to effectively cut down the noise is to double glaze the windows and put heavy curtains over it.

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:45 PM

SimonTan
  • SimonTan
    Banned

You are right.
Change the windows and frame to heavy duty and double glaze.
The sound vibration will be absorbed by the heavy frame. And the double glaze glass, got a special middle laminate inbetween the two pieces of glass to absorbe vibration.
Then get a double layer certain, those heavy duty type with rubber backing!

Remember to also change your door, and add think layer of gaskets all around the door.
The bottOm part of the door, also need to seal with some 'hairy' seal.

The final addition is a super large carpet on the exposed floor!

Good luck in your house hunt!!!!

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:12 PM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I was shopping around for a resale HDB housing and came across a flat which was quite ideal except for its close proximity to an MRT rail-line.

I am wondering if it is possible to sound-proof a bedroom so that the passing train would not disturb my sleep. How much would it typically cost and is it effective? Would appreciate if you could share your experience.

Try fasina windows. But do not know if they do for HDB, parents previous and current house got them to do and was informed they do for private or landed only. Maybe now rules change

Edited by Galantspeedz, 18 December 2010 - 06:36 PM.

MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:03 PM

Windwaver
  • Windwaver
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Do take note that double glazing also means more heat is trapped within your flat if windows are closed. You can always turn on the aircon though happy.gif
Disclaimer:
The above comments are solely my perspectives. You may disagree with it for I shall not be liable for whatever I may have input. Any obscene & threatening comments on me is a reflection of your personality. No profanity, obscenities of any kind and personal attacks on other users.

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:23 PM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

It seems that curtains and carpets might be necessary to help absorb the noise.
Curtains and carpets are known to be dust magnets and I have a sensitive nose problem...

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888

feature thick wall paper??

actually after a while, you will be do use to the noise that you dont even notice it's there!
骑白马的不一定是王 ,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:54 PM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Try fasina windows. But do not know if they do for HDB, parents previous and current house got them to do and was informed they do for private or landed only. Maybe now rules change

Thanks for the pointers. Did a quick check on Fasina double glazed windows (below).

http://www.fascina.com.sg/glazing-glass.html

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:33 PM

Robin
  • Premium member
    Robin
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

go beach road army market ... $2 should be able to get u a pair of decent ear plugs
cheap n good tongue.gif

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:38 PM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

go beach road army market ... $2 should be able to get u a pair of decent ear plugs
cheap n good tongue.gif

Tried ear plugs during army days. Uncomfortable to sleep with something stuffed in the ears.

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:11 PM

Silver_blade
  • Premium member
    Silver_blade
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Like some had said, I feel the cheapest (will still cost you a lot of $$) and a more straight forward approach will be to have double-glazed window. But I believe you will not notice the notice after you have stay there for a while. I had gone thru that a few times having stayed in house that were located right beside a major road (load noise from heavy traffic and bike gang of the 70's and 80's after mid-nite shows ended), beside MRT track and station and beside a very busy railway track (train will pass by at very high speed at 5-15mins interval from 6am to 12am).

In the last instance, I couldn't stand it in the beginning, cos I couldn't hear anything when the train passes by. I have to stopped talking on the phone or I will missed a min. of sound from the TV. After about 2 weeks...I was not bothered at all and could follow the TV program entirely.

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:05 AM

LoverofCar
  • Premium member
    LoverofCar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

actually if the noise seem like a big issue to you. I suggest that you don't consider it. You are going to sleep in the bedroom day after day....do you intend not to even open the window if one night you feel that you don't want to on the air con? In my opinion, an ideal home is that it will not cause your problem, especially...a good night sleep...
Caravan praised this

''Don't take life too serious...learn to forgive and forget..after all.....no one get out of life......alive''

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:24 AM

Darkchocolate
  • Darkchocolate
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

have you sat in the house and tested whether the sound of the passing MRT is really too loud for you? and probably you were concentrating on listening sound of the train while you were checking out the flat that's why you are aware of the sound.. when you really move in and have things to do at home at most points of time.. i guess you won't even realise those external environmental noises!

my house is at low level just beside a rather busy road with a primary school just nearby, can always hear kids shouting about during PE, school bells,many many car honkings especially during start and end of lessons everyday.. but somehow gotten used to it..

just my opinion.. if you really can't take environmental noises better don't get that flat..

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:00 PM

Robin
  • Premium member
    Robin
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

i think thats quite a minor discomfort. during my army days.. we can even sleep standing laugh.gif

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:21 PM

Wolfy3769
  • Wolfy3769
    4th Gear
    Author Image

same here... when just move into the house.. it was near a very big mosque.... every morning 6am... they will start the prayer... it was really low... but now... after years... i just sleep through the whole prayer session.... either i increase my tolerance... or they lower their PA system...

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Latio2005A
  • Latio2005A
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

You will get use to it after a while.
I used to live near the KTM rail line. The sound was much louder than that made by the MRT. At times, the stupxd KTM train driver would horn while approaching, those long and "aggressive" one, in the middle of the night or early morning. But I just slept through.

I kinda miss that KTM train noise, now that the train service had been terminated. laugh.gif
No Free Lunch
I am semi-retired. Smelling roses before it is too late.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

Crxzc
  • Crxzc
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

sound can be insulated ,but how about vibration? I ever been to a 5rm flat at Yishun,when the train was coming, I can feel the vibration and the owner was asking 35K Cov,even if hes selling at valuation, I would not even consider, that goes to the same at some units at the condo of yishun (e.g. yishun sapphire & yishun emerald),how about choosing units at NEL where all train are underground? Wouldnt it be better/?

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

Windwaver
  • Windwaver
    Supercharged
    Author Image

My Soundproof windows done by were FANTASTIC! Compared a few suppliers and found that this factory-direct contractor's price is the most reasonable. Now I can have my peaceful sleep without the noise from the MRT tracks just right out of my windows.
Very sincere contractor. They even helped to check and lubricated all my windows' hinges without additional charges, due to safety issues. Would recommend him if anyone looking for windows and grilles contractors. Below is his contact:-

How many rooms did you do up and how much was it?

Disclaimer:
The above comments are solely my perspectives. You may disagree with it for I shall not be liable for whatever I may have input. Any obscene & threatening comments on me is a reflection of your personality. No profanity, obscenities of any kind and personal attacks on other users.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

Xefera
  • Premium member
    Xefera
    Supercharged
    Author Image

My Soundproof windows done by were FANTASTIC! Compared a few suppliers and found that this factory-direct contractor's price is the most reasonable. Now I can have my peaceful sleep without the noise from the MRT tracks just right out of my windows.
Very sincere contractor. They even helped to check and lubricated all my windows' hinges without additional charges, due to safety issues. Would recommend him if anyone looking for windows and grilles contractors. Below is his contact:-

Join today at 10:16am and post first post at 10.22am
can't help but feel that this is an advertiser at work. dry.gif

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

Rncw
  • Premium member
    Rncw
    Supercharged
    Author Image

if your price is cheaper than the most expensive earplugs...then maybe can consider.....

we must fight, to run away!

"Ayu-chan, if I cannot be your husband, I'll be your step-father..."

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: Sound, proofing, HDB, room

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users