Cooking myself

Blackwind

What raw ingredients u want to cook? Tell me n I'll provide a recipe. But if u want simple, healthy meals, gotta wean your taste buds off hawker food, which is heavily laden with MSG n sugar. Once u can do that, u will never look back again... Outside food is basically crap. I'll give u tips on choosing quality produce as well. Heh.

healthy food sounds awesome too...

hmm... i'm ok with any meat or vege........ oh accept fish ^_^

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Aussie style brekkie.

Scrambled eggs, Grilled Tomato, Bacon, Baked Beans, Butter Button Mushrooms

1. Fry mushrooms with butter, apply pepper liberally and salt to taste.

2. Grilled tomato can be done with the bacon, heat up a grill pan, fry the bacon till crispy, put the bacon one side, then grill the tomatoes.

3. Scrambled eggs, Eggs to Milk ratio is 5 : 1 , butter up a frying pan, on low heat, cook the eggs stirring continuously till it is about 70% curdled, serve, it will continue cooking..

4. baked beans, well. easy peasy, hienz + microwave.

Aussie style brekkie.

Scrambled eggs, Grilled Tomato, Bacon, Baked Beans, Butter Button Mushrooms

1. Fry mushrooms with butter, apply pepper liberally and salt to taste.

2. Grilled tomato can be done with the bacon, heat up a grill pan, fry the bacon till crispy, put the bacon one side, then grill the tomatoes.

3. Scrambled eggs, Eggs to Milk ratio is 5 : 1 , butter up a frying pan, on low heat, cook the eggs stirring continuously till it is about 70% curdled, serve, it will continue cooking..

4. baked beans, well. easy peasy, hienz + microwave.

thnx for the input... i'm gonna bookmark this thread ^_^

Sorry but for a moment I thought u wanted to commit suicide by jumping onto a BBQ grill or a boiling pot of soup lol

me too haha....

shouldn't it be 'cooking for myself'?

various videos on videojug and youtube already got different recipes..its actually easier to search urself than for others to understand whats ur dietary constraints and likes, dislikes..

Neutral Newbie

If you're into japanese...

Teriyaki Chicken Sauce,

1 part soy sauce

1 part mirin (go to the japanese section of any supermarket and you should be able to find it, otherwise its isetan scotts or meidiya)

1 part sugar

2/3 cooking rice wine.

Combine all into a pot, then reduce to about 80% original volume

As for the chicken, panfry chicken thigh fillet or breast fillet if you prefer, pepper liberally, ensure some parts are seared, and when the chicken is cooked, add in the sauce, let it caramelise onto the chicken..

Serve with rice =D

tips on cooking spagetti.

Add some olive oil and salt when cooking it.

once its fully cooked. scop out and put directly in ice water.

This will make the spagetti more Q and taste nicer.

You can actually cook more and store it in the refridgerator for future. Just add some olive oil, mix abit and wrap the bowl with plastic wrap.

as for the sauce, different ppl have different preference. Some ppl like olio olio style, which is to cook the spagetti with the sauce, stir-fry method.

For me, I prefer to cook the sauce seperately and pour it on the spagetti.

If you like the red(tomato) sauce.

Get:

spagetti sauce

Peppers(Green/Yellow/Red) anyone will do

Onions(yellow)

Garlic

Minced beef meat

Firstly, you stir-fry the minced beef abit, just 50% cooked will do. and leave it on a plate.

Add some olive oil, and add in garlic(chopped). Stir abit till fragrance(not too long or it will chao da)

Add in onions(chopped). Stir abit till fragrance.

Add in pepper. Stir-fry.

Add in spagetti sauce.

When you see the sauce starts to boil, add in the minced beef.

Let it simmer(in low heat) for ard 5 mins.

Done.

Just pour the sauce over the spagetti. add some tobasco sauce if you into spiciness. Voo la!

Edited by Baphomet

First, find an oven that'll fit an adult....then decide if you prefer to be roasted or baked. ^_^

you can't finish the whole body.... start with the thight it usually taste better :D

and I prefer ABC stew where you just dump all the veg in the pot, there you get a balance diet :D

Edited by Jman888

Invest in a slow cooker. Its good for porridge and soup.

For vege porride, put in rice, water, cubes of carrot into the slow cooker and set the setting to the lowest before bedtime.

Vola, the porridge is ready in the morning, just add a little salt, sesame seed oil or soy sauce to taste. My fav would be Marmite [:p]

As for soup, try pork rib, corn and carrot. Usually for 2 pax, about 4 prime ribs, 2 cob of corns and 1 carrot.

Put everything in the slow cooker and set it to low before you leave home for work. Just add salt when you get back from work

Happy cooking and please dont cook yourself :D

If you want simple meal here is what you can do without any cooking skills and getting good Japanese meal at least once a week and cheap enough.

Shabu Shabu.

All you need (for a family of 4 or 5)

1. Shabu Beef/Pork slice (get from http://www.qbfood.com.sg/) - in bulk and you can store in your fridge (cheaper than Fairprice). around $7/styrofoam tray pack good for 1 meal)

2. Ponzu Soy Sauce (Mizkan brand) Big bottle = $7.00 but Fairpirce only sell small bottle $4.50

(can use for at least 5 meals) - Veggie dip sauce

3. sesame cream Sauce (Mizkan Kinnogomadare) 1 bottle = $7.00 (Fairprice)

(can use for at least 5 meals) - Meat dip sauce

4. WongBok ($2.00 can feed you 3 meals)

5. Japanase Rice ($5.50 = 2.5kg) can last for 10 meals I think

6. Japanese Sushi Vinegar ($5.00 can last you long time as 1 pot of rice use 1 cap full only - pour it 2 mins b4 rice is cooked not in the begiining)

7. Golden Mushroom (Enoki) 1 pack = $0.70) normally use 2 packs 1 meal.

8. Tang Oh + Tofu (optional)

an Electric Steamboat (get Induction one for $89) which can be used duirng CNY, so its a good investment.

For the above, 1 meal cost you around $12 for a family of 4~5.

If you go restaurant for this meal it cost you around $70.

Best of all is no cooking skills needed

Your children will love it...

Edited by Tigerwoods

with the influx of china ppl working in foodcourts i have finally given up on foodcourts. i am not going to waste time describing the 3 disgusting incidents which just took place at my foodcourt in a matter of minutes. im army trained... never whined abt sand in my canned food and i am not the type who is fussy abt food. i'm the type who will pick up the meat and eat it even if it falls on the table. my mom is forever travelling and is not always in spore to cook for us.

anyway the important thing is im gonna start cooking myself.

any tips for me?

any easy recipes for beginners like me?

i've seen youtube videos and recipe books..... but what i need are simple recipes where the ingredients are easily found in our markets.... preferably meat and vege recipes

thnx a million! ^_^

As someone who started cooking since 17 yrs old till now (35), I have only one advice. Please wash/clean up after cooking :ph34r:

Hehe....ok seriously...go NTUC...they have alot of those pre-mix sauce...like thai green curry, etc....just open up the sauce and throw in the ingredient and yes...some of them treat exactly or even better than what you find in coffeeshops/cafes.

Kimchi Fried Rice

Ingredients: Overnight rice, garlic, egg, kimchi, meat (beef/chicken/pork is up to you) or you can subsitute is with prawns/sotong

1) Chop up a clove of garlic

2) Chop up the kimchi into smaller bite-size pieces

3) Heat up the wok, put oil, garlic, meat or seafood and egg

4) After 3 mins, add in the rice. Remember to keep stirring

5) Add in the kimchi and the kimchi juice. How much is up to you

6) Mix all the contents well till the rice turns slightly orange

7) Add a bit of soya sauce. Salt and pepper to test

8) Makan time

You're probably like me who has never desired to learn how to cook for many years. Jamie Oliver's 20-minute meals app for the iPhone changed all that. The speed at which a meal for 2 could be served in 20-30 minutes got me thinking and today I'm happily cooking away at the stove at least twice a week.

Since moving into my own place 5 years ago, I have experimented and tried cooking and baking once in a while.

Cooking is nice, it's the cleaning up after the cooking that's troublesome. I pride myself for keeping the kitchen clean everyday and it's still as new as 5 years ago. It's a case of "clean the M16 first, then go shower and rest" mentality for me when it comes to kitchen cleanliness.

Anyway, cleaning kitchen will not stop me from learning to cook.