Removing the glare from aftermarket HID?

Hosch

Neutral Newbie

Just thinking out aloud..

Currently most aftermarket (Hi-Intensity Discharge) HID lamps are 35W producing output of around 2800-3200 lumens. This is 2x the light intensity of standard 55W halogen bulbs (between 1200 - 1600 lumens), which generates alot of glare (safety hazard) when it is loosely focused and dispersed by the ordinary reflectors and covers for halogen headlamps.

Projector headlamps and auto-levelling mechanisms can focus and cut-off the beam very nicely, but these are costly and unique to every make/model compared to standard halogen lighting, hence manufacturers are slow to adopt/implement. This makes HID conversion infeasible for most existing vehicles too, as they are simply not equipped or designed for HID. Even properly focused aftermarket HID conversions will generate perceivable glare in a standard halogen reflector headlamp housing.

Another problem with HID conversion is it requires a high power surge when starting up, which exceeds the specifications for the standard halogen lighting and may require additional relays and wiring harnesses to address the heat and fire safety issues.

I'm no HID expert, but if the power is reduced to a 20-25W, will that make the light output on par with standard halogen systems? Does that mean that with proper focusing during installation, revised power draw limits (controlled via ballast), HID conversion would work within the same specifications as standard halogen bulb, but at almost 300% efficiency and with a much wider selection range of colors? The presence of HID torches in various wattage and output levels will prove that what I suggested is already technically possible.

Not sure if there are important factors that I have omitted, but if the glare and power draw issues can be addressed without the need for new/fancy technology such as Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS), perhaps these can become the basis for making aftermarket HID legal, as in the case of fog lamps? Otherwise at least it could be subject to approval like turbo/super charging, rather than outright illegal?

↡ Advertisement

HID was there for a reason...

this is like asking a ferraris to be mount with a 1.4L engine..

if u want small engine.. get a jap car..

if u want a lower power... lower lumens headlight.. get a halogen

actually if the installer for the HID can do proper focusing on it , shouldnt be too glaring for the cars infront.

alot of users have over glaring problems with aftermarket HID kits are because the installer didnt do a good job

on focusing of the headlights for them .

it is a very clear cut scenario.

If you car has projector lens, you may install it and it will not produce glare. Most cars with projector lens has the option of leveling the light levels too.

If you car comes with reflectors, FORGET ABOUT HID. It may look 'fierce' but it is very inconsiderate.

for those that does not know what projector lens are, see below.

for the headlamps, of alfa 159, it is the leftmost lamp.post-30252-1293714941_thumb.png

post-30252-1293714921_thumb.jpg

post-30252-1293714932_thumb.jpg

Neutral Newbie

Siao bo? same spec as halogen? then might as well stick with halogen bulbs, why waste time with HID?

Same spec in terms of brightness, but at 3x the efficiency & much whiter colours. Personally I would really prefer 5000K daylight white and allocate more power to charge the battery, aircon or simply save some fuel.

With 2 headlights (+2 fog lamps if raining), that's a big 70W (140W) less power drawn. If you have double headlights or 100W (mostly illegal as well), the difference becomes much greater.

Although there are blue coated halogen bulbs if you want white light, these bulbs don't actually produce enough output because a large portion of it is filtered out by the blue coating. The difference is very obvious especially for the whiter bulbs, it is dim like bulbs that are near end-of-life. I won't talk about 100W bulbs, which are mostly illegal and may be too hot for standard lamp housings.

Neutral Newbie

HID was there for a reason...

this is like asking a ferraris to be mount with a 1.4L engine..

if u want small engine.. get a jap car..

if u want a lower power... lower lumens headlight.. get a halogen

Not exactly. More like the following:

- Standard halogen 55W = Standard 2.0L (150hp) engine

- Aftermarket conversion 35W = Extreme Turbo charged 2.5L (300hp) engine producing a loud irritating noise (aka glare), requires chassis to tolerate additional stress due to large excessive power (aka need re-wiring)

- Proposed 20W conversion = Turbo charged 1.4L (150hp) engine

It's more like putting a Volkswagen Touran Sport 1.4L twin charged engine into a standard 2.0L MPV, instead of a extreme turbo charged Subaru 2.5L :D

Installing after market HID into projector lenses or otherwise does not mean no glare because if the rear of the vehicle is weighted down enough, the HID beam will be raised up to produce glare onto vehicles in front. Having a manual adjuster only works if the driver knows or remembers how to use it to compensate. This is why proper HID has a mechanism for self-leveling to take care of such instances.

Even with original HID equipment, it is quite useless when it is dark and raining. Can't see a damn thing. Warmer colour temperature lights are best for such situations as they penetrate better.

Neutral Newbie

it is a very clear cut scenario.

If you car has projector lens, you may install it and it will not produce glare. Most cars with projector lens has the option of leveling the light levels too.

If you car comes with reflectors, FORGET ABOUT HID. It may look 'fierce' but it is very inconsiderate.

for those that does not know what projector lens are, see below.

for the headlamps, of alfa 159, it is the leftmost lamp.

Yes, agreed. Without projectors, HID is infeasible. There is too much glare, regardless of focusing.

Which is precisely why I'm wondering if reducing the output of HID to current halogen bulb level will solve this glare problem, which is really the showstopper for using HID bulbs in standard reflector housing.

Sure you won't get the throw and brightness of 35W HID, but at least it can be used in most existing cars and still reap the benefits of much improved efficiency (at least 66% power savings) and whiter lights (better rendition of objects).

IMHO, LED lighting is the way to go as it has the highest efficacy. Unfortunately, it won't see widespread adoption until the inherent problems (heat, cost, new lamp housing, new driver, etc) are solved. Even HID that has been around for years have not really caught on.

Installing after market HID into projector lenses or otherwise does not mean no glare because if the rear of the vehicle is weighted down enough, the HID beam will be raised up to produce glare onto vehicles in front. Having a manual adjuster only works if the driver knows or remembers how to use it to compensate. This is why proper HID has a mechanism for self-leveling to take care of such instances.

Even with original HID equipment, it is quite useless when it is dark and raining. Can't see a damn thing. Warmer colour temperature lights are best for such situations as they penetrate better.

true.. if the car is weighted down significantly on the rear, then it may cause the projection to be elevated. For my car, i always point it to the lowest, which is the setting for the case when the car is loaded maximally on the rear, thus make it almost impossible to shine into the cabin of the car infront. (unless im gg up and down the hump, which may momentarily shine the lamps into the cabin ahead). For singapore road, even when my setting is set to the lowest, it is able to illuminate about 25m ahead, which is more than enough. In case of malaysian roads where it is total darkness on some roads, you need the high beam anyway. thus, i suppose if one is to consider getting HID, 2 criterias fulfilled will ensure he will not irritate other drivers:

1. PRojector lens for the headlamp optics.

2. LAmp leveling to lowest for local roads illumination.

What i see on the roads now are irresponsible drivers who installed HID for their reflector lamps. Most of the lights are bounced off in wrong directions and the patterned lamp covers further aggravates the glare.

See below for better illustrations and contrasts.

post-30252-1293802623_thumb.jpg

Erm, dun use aftermarket HID lor?

Stick with the regular bulbs.

yup.... those models with reflector... no matter how u adjust.. its glaring... [;)] i had adjust 1 ride.. and point right to the floor... still glaring... unless u 'shade' part of the reflector by some means... or have an 'umbrella' which shield off part of it...