Arrival of Ford Smax and Galaxy Ecoboost!

Tipo33

Very attractive package but come too late... Price is crazy & I've already got my ride. Will want to go try one day...

Turbocharged

Nothing wrong with that what.. [laugh]

Yah, and now probably you are at the extreme end of what a focus was meant to be.

Finally signed on the dotted line after considering many factors.

Going from one end of the spectrum to the other - from Hybrid to Turbocharged.

I think the Galaxy Ecoboost is nearly 2 cars in 1 - MPV and sports car.

Edited by Grix17

Neutral Newbie

Congrats...mine is the ecoboost S-max. You won't regret it. It is a MPV that keep the daddy happy with its power. Do join us at fordclubsg.com to share your experience.

Congrats...mine is the ecoboost S-max. You won't regret it. It is a MPV that keep the daddy happy with its power. Do join us at fordclubsg.com to share your experience.

Thanks for the invite. I test drove the 2.3 S-Max before this hybrid but my wife didn't like it. She still doesn't like the Galaxy but I'm exercising my right to buy a driver's car this time :)

I hope I made the right choice of colour - Midnight Sky. My SE kept discouraging me from taking Parkside.

I didn't like the 2.3 smax as well. However with the ecoboost and facelift it won me over.

What is park side?

It's a brownish bronzy colour. Quite obvious on the ford uk site for Galaxy. Thought it was nice but I hope my SE is correct.

Hi,

How much did you pay for the 18" rim? Did you do it at RM or outside?

KS

Wanted a unique set (Ford Individual rims) so topped-up at RM (for 3k with Potenza RE050A tyres).

Not cheap, but it's a price for individuality.

Neutral Newbie

hey, i am right now considering between Estima and Ford Galaxy 2.0 eco boost and from this forum, hear a lot of good things on Estima.

Grix17 and GohKs, what did you see as the main difference between ford galaxy and estima? For what i see in the showroom, plus test drive Galaxy, its really powerful like a car, but the interior is not as nice, boot space smaller, factory fitted console... I am not too sure if Estima is a powerful drive, or it will be sluggish....

Would really like to hear from both of you given both of you seems to have experience both MPVs. Thanks

I have rented one in Uk for a month, a Manual Diesel. power wise was good, Lots of room for the interior can Ez pack in 8 pax . Very comfort ride. But Fc is quite bad. But over all i would give a 8/10.

FC bad?

i tot the whole idea is the ecoboost feature?

For what i see in the showroom, plus test drive Galaxy, its really powerful like a car, but the interior is not as nice, boot space smaller, factory fitted console...

The test drive should win you over if you enjoy driving. It handles more like a car and the power is always on tap from all speeds. The manual feature does make the most of the turbocharged engine. Of course, don't expect fantastic FC even if it is labelled as "Ecoboost". I am averaging 9 km/L for the first 3 weeks of driving, with about 50-50 highway-city driving. The FC is worst in stop-start traffic and going up MSCP. Expressway driving yields excellent FC when in 6th gear at about 90-100 km/h.

I agree that the boot space is abysmal compared to the Estima. The Estima has space in both below the boot cover and above since the spare tyre is in the middle of the undercarriage. As for the console, it's a matter of preference if you like to customise your own 2-DIN player, which could be a DVD touchscreen (like my previous ride). I can accept the current single-CD with iPod-compatibility (can connect iPod and control from console) and I requested for a reverse camera with separate screen.

The Estima feels more spacious interior-wise. The 3rd row is where you will find about 5-10 cm more space compared to the Galaxy. You can also find under seat space for items in the 2nd row (for 8-seater). For 7-seater versions, you can have the captain style seats. However, if you choose the 8-seater version, be sure to request for the all-round 3-pt seat belts (particularly for the middle seats) as these are not standard but factory options. I dislike the 2-pt lap belt for the middle seat. The Galaxy has 3-pt belts all round, ISOFIX points and all 5 rear seats are individually adjustable. They also fold completely flat for cargo carrying via the "Ford fold-flat" system. The Galaxy has built in roof rails which you can install roof racks for bikes, etc. The Galaxy has more door bin space, a few under-floor hidden compartments and drawers under the front seats.

I am not too sure if Estima is a powerful drive, or it will be sluggish....

I drove the hybrid version, so I would describe it differently. I believe the power is more than adequate, and you can always put the transmission to manual mode to liberate more power from the engine. Don't expect sporty sounds or powerful surges as the Estima is still designed for quiet cruising. However, the CVT transmission sound may not be music to everyone's ears.

what did you see as the main difference between ford galaxy and estima?

On top of what I have described, these are the other significant differences:

#1. AD vs PI (may be an issue with warranty, spare parts, workmanship, etc) - maybe consider the Previa?

#2. Variety of choice of version for Estima (X, G, Aeras, Aeras S, Aeras G, 3.5L, etc)

#3. Estima's sliding doors are very useful in tight parking spaces

#4. Moonroof option for Estima

#5. Exterior looks - Galaxy has a strong, muscular look; Estima has a sleek, bullet-train design that looks nice with the Aeras/Hybrid bodykit

#6. Console & meters are positioned differently

#7. Popularity - Estimas are everywhere, almost as common as the Wish; if you like something more special/unique, then Galaxy is the choice (if you think that popularity is a good thing, see point #1)

FC bad?

i tot the whole idea is the ecoboost feature?

As long as you're driving an MPV, the FC is going to bad anyway.

But he was describing the manual diesel version.

I drove the Estima Hybrid, which I reckon has the best FC for any large MPV at 13-14 km/L.

That is mostly due to the hybrid motor assistance from standstill and at low speeds.

The Ecoboost is just a label.

If you drive mostly expressway, then maybe 13-14 km/L is possible (highway quoted at 6.6L/100km or 16 km/L)

Otherwise, city driving is quoted at 11.1L/100 km which is at best 9 km/L.

It's still a turbocharged engine, and the torque plateau starts from about 1750 rpm.

Cannot be compared to the Golf 1.4 TSI twin-charged engine which has supercharging at lower revs ie. 1400 rpm.

is age of estima can include one of the buying factor?

galaxy not new too, but the ecoboost engine can consider very new.

if people want use the car for 10 year, is it more recommend to buy estima or galaxy or ... ?

Supercharged

if people want use the car for 10 year, is it more recommend to buy estima or galaxy or ... ?

if u r a keen driver then go for Ford.

↡ Advertisement