More effective ways to prevent tailgating?

KARTer

The majority of road accidents on our expressways / main roads are due to tailgating when the front car slows down but the one behind cant stop in time.

Even without any injury, what follows is usually a big traffic jam while the drivers involved inspect / discuss / argue / wait for rescue etc right on the spot. This ends up wasting a lot time of other road users.

To prevent this, maybe LTA should make every car install a distance sensor (not a very hi-tech / expensive item) and link it to a warning device, or better still a speed-limiter so that if the driver tailgate for say more than 3 seconds, he will be either warned or his car's speed will be cut to suit the distance he maintains eg 10kmh or car distance of only 2-car-lengths etc etc. TP will conduct random and on the spot tests anywhere and if tempering of the device is found, the drivers will be fined heavily.

And as a further preventive measure, the guilty driver involved in road accident during peak hours will be charged a $2k (or more) blanket fine for causing traffic jam.

We may say driver safety education is better than fines, but after so many years of police warnings and educations (one way or another), there's still no major improvement, in fact it's getting worse, it's time to introduce serious penalty like this to wake up these reckless drivers.

Any better idea? [:)]

Edited by KARTer
↡ Advertisement

The majority of road accidents on our expressways / main roads are due to tailgating when the front car slows down but the one behind cant stop in time.

Even without any injury, what follows is usually a big traffic jam while the drivers involved inspect / discuss / argue / wait for rescue etc right on the spot. This ends up wasting a lot time of other road users.

To prevent this, maybe LTA should make every car install a distance sensor (not a very hi-tech / expensive item) and link it to a warning device, or better still a speed-limiter so that if the driver tailgate for say more than 3 seconds, he will be either warned or his car's speed will be cut to suit the distance he maintains eg 10kmh or car distance of only 2-car-lengths etc etc

And as a further preventive measure, the guilty driver involved in road accident during peak hours will be charged a $2k (or more) blanket fine for causing traffic jam.

We may say driver safety education is better than fines, but after so many years of police warnings and educations (one way or another), there's still no major improvement, in fact it's getting worse, it's time to introduce serious penalty like this to wake up these reckless drivers.

During peak hour...such accident really delay everyone's time to go home...plus rain...WAULAU!!!

But difficult to implement coz during peak hours...all the cars will be quite close to one another...

education will take a long time to see effect but fine on the otherhand will be faster...

(edited)

During peak hour...such accident really delay everyone's time to go home...plus rain...WAULAU!!!

But difficult to implement coz during peak hours...all the cars will be quite close to one another...

education will take a long time to see effect but fine on the otherhand will be faster...

Yes, peak hours traffic is usually bumper2bumper..... what to do, too many cars, too little roads??... but actually, just side-track a bit, for every 1km of expressways, we can pack say 90 'long' cars (usually those 2000cc cars and above), or 120 'short' cars (eg hatchbacks or about 1300cc cars). What it means is we should encourage use of shorter cars instead of longer cars since both usually carry only 1-3 persons and therefore it makes no difference if the car is long or short.

We can make roadtax/COE/ERP etc higher for such long cars and give discounts to short cars. This way, our roads will be less congested but able to move the same amount of passengers per km of the expressway per hour..... can?

Edited by KARTer

Got rain = 100% accident somewhere on the island :angry:

My wife and I always go to work together in our car and everytime it rains i sure win the bet.

The bet: there'll be at least one road accident before we reach our office......... sure win!!

u cant keep a good "tailgater" down.

i spend most of the time in the 2nd lane doing speed limit, still have s holes tailgate me and high beam....

not environmentally friendly.

can't tailgate means no wind drafting and FC goes up. ^_^

you mean slip-stream??..... LOL, you win! :D

but but, after slip-stream end up kissing bumper, how to overtake like in F1??

Yes, peak hours traffic is usually bumper2bumper..... what to do, too many cars, too little roads??... but actually, just side-track a bit, for every 1km of expressways, we can pack say 90 'long' cars (usually those 2000cc cars and above), or 120 'short' cars (eg hatchbacks or about 1300cc cars). What it means is we should encourage use of shorter cars instead of longer cars since both usually carry only 1-3 persons and therefore it makes no difference if the car is long or short.

We can make roadtax/COE/ERP etc higher for such long cars and give discounts to short cars. This way, our roads will be less congested but able to move the same amount of passengers per km of the expressway per hour..... can?

hmmm...also can...then people will buy wider car like Edix instead of Wish etc...actually instead of fine...y not reward those safe drivers...like lower road tax n erp becoz..cause less JAM ?

i spend most of the time in the 2nd lane doing speed limit, still have s holes tailgate me and high beam....

Like that we have to go high tech a bit:

Have another LTA sealed rear facing camera which also links to a rear distance sensor: if the car behind tailgates for more than 3 seconds, "CLICK" and the driver behind will have his face and number plate photo taken and auto-send to LTA's server for follow up.......

CONFIRM plus CHOP!!! Ever stuck in AYE ..raining with accident...for at least 1hr plus...want to pee but no plastic bottle...endure until face turn green

[nod]

thats y i posted in an earlier thread that if TP wants volunteers to catch tailgaters, i first to enroll.

i will even buy, own expense, the in car video to install at the back.

Edited by Tom_kkh

To prevent this, maybe LTA should make every car install a distance sensor (not a very hi-tech / expensive item) and link it to a warning device, or better still a speed-limiter so that if the driver tailgate for say more than 3 seconds, he will be either warned or his car's speed will be cut to suit the distance he maintains eg 10kmh or car distance of only 2-car-lengths etc etc. TP will conduct random and on the spot tests anywhere and if tempering of the device is found, the drivers will be fined heavily.

got, get out of lane 1 and dont road hog. [laugh] [laugh]

(edited)

hmmm...also can...then people will buy wider car like Edix instead of Wish etc...actually instead of fine...y not reward those safe drivers...like lower road tax n erp becoz..cause less JAM ?

Incentive for safe drivers: GOOD!!! .... for those of us who seldom (or never) tailgate and or involved in accident, LTA should give us discounts for rdtx/ERP, and some refund on COE..... carrot is better than cane :D

Edix and other wide-body cars: hmmm..... car widths should also be factored in the rdtx/COE/ERP rates............ if K-cars or Mini/Pikanto etc sales shoot up, so be it.... :D

Edited by KARTer

tailgater on lane 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, other than lane 1 is [shakehead] [shakehead]

actually i think more accidents are caused by idiots who talk on the mobile while driving. 90pc of the time you see brakester, snaker etc, drive past them, confirm on the phone. kns. hate these buggers. :angry: :angry: :angry:

got, get out of lane 1 and dont road hog. [laugh] [laugh]

like rdtx dscounts as incentive for cars which do not use lane1???

(edited)

actually i think more accidents are caused by idiots who talk on the mobile while driving. 90pc of the time you see brakester, snaker etc, drive past them, confirm on the phone. kns. hate these buggers. :angry: :angry: :angry:

true.... thats why i refuse to answer phone calls when i am driving unless it's from my boss (this one bo bian, he only calls when it is urgent anyway).... or i expect something urgent that day. I have an auto reply which tells the callers i am at the wheel and hope to reach my destination safely.

Edited by KARTer
↡ Advertisement