Thaipusam set to turn down volume

Yellowrx8

Jan 7, 2011

By Yen Feng

coco-st.jpg

Following new guidelines issued by the Hindu Endowments Board (HEB), participants with piercings cannot hang or pull objects, such as coconuts or framed photographs, from their bodies. -- ST PHOTO

THIS year's Thaipusam celebrations will be a quieter affair if guidelines made public for the first time on Thursday by the Hindu Endowments Board (HEB) are enforced.

Those participating in the procession on Jan 19 and 20 are barred from playing recorded music or sounding gongs or drums.

Traditionally, the music - often played at a deafening volume - is seen as encouragement for those who pierce their bodies as an act of faith. Now, only the singing of hymns will be permitted.

Other rules include no shouting, and no paint or makeup to be used on either the devotees' faces or bodies. Those who flout the rules may be barred from future processions - or face a fine of up to $5,000 under the Public Order Act.

And for the first time, spike or chariot kavadi bearers are required to nominate a representative who will be responsible for their conduct.

The HEB said the rules mirrored guidelines set by the police for permits to hold Thaipusam celebrations. But they were put together for the first time this year for the public to address long-standing issues of crowd and noise control, officials from the two temples organising the procession said.

Link here

↡ Advertisement

was there really a problem with thaipusam celebration?

when i was still schooling at the old nafa campus(middle rd), every thaipusam, the indians will do their regular walks..

it was an eye opener for me.. not much of a noise pollution..

if it is deem as noise pollution, then what about malay weddings/chinese funeral?

damn we are losing our culture!

Edited by Rainbowbiatch

although not a fan of all the noise but its part of parcel of living here with different cultures, i mean its only once a year so just let them do lo. kinda sux for them.

Neutral Newbie

Siao. Totally do not understand the rationale, as if the noise is all-year long. It is just a 2-day event!

Our month-long 7-mth getai and cny lion dance are even noisier. Just let pple celebrate lah. [hur]

wah lao...... this kind of event happens once a year only also want to control....... sigh..... maybe next time no fireworks to watch liao.... too noisy.....

Siao. Totally do not understand the rationale, as if the noise is all-year long. It is just a 2-day event!

Our month-long 7-mth getai and cny lion dance are even noisier. Just let pple celebrate lah. [hur]

If you stay along the route, I don't think you even want one day of disruption to your sleep.

a nation of robotic workers without soul is what they want to achieve eventually

This is exactly the sort of society Orwell's 1984 warns against. All natural urges and pleasures are banned.

Kids should read that book (in addition to Orwell's Animal Farm).

If you stay along the route, I don't think you even want one day of disruption to your sleep.

If other races can tolerate lion dance troupes during a certain period of the year, why can't you tolerate Thaipusam for an even narrower period of the year?

Jan 7, 2011

By Yen Feng

coco-st.jpg

Following new guidelines issued by the Hindu Endowments Board (HEB), participants with piercings cannot hang or pull objects, such as coconuts or framed photographs, from their bodies. -- ST PHOTO

THIS year's Thaipusam celebrations will be a quieter affair if guidelines made public for the first time on Thursday by the Hindu Endowments Board (HEB) are enforced.

Those participating in the procession on Jan 19 and 20 are barred from playing recorded music or sounding gongs or drums.

Traditionally, the music - often played at a deafening volume - is seen as encouragement for those who pierce their bodies as an act of faith. Now, only the singing of hymns will be permitted.

Other rules include no shouting, and no paint or makeup to be used on either the devotees' faces or bodies. Those who flout the rules may be barred from future processions - or face a fine of up to $5,000 under the Public Order Act.

And for the first time, spike or chariot kavadi bearers are required to nominate a representative who will be responsible for their conduct.

The HEB said the rules mirrored guidelines set by the police for permits to hold Thaipusam celebrations. But they were put together for the first time this year for the public to address long-standing issues of crowd and noise control, officials from the two temples organising the procession said.

Link here

Thats good.

and fair

If other races can tolerate lion dance troupes during a certain period of the year, why can't you tolerate Thaipusam for an even narrower period of the year?

Lion dance will play from 10pm to 8am without stopping? Just be at the Thaipusam 2 days events and you will understand what I mean.

i think this is too extreme and it is not like everyday thingy.

too strict.

how about CNY lion dance, illegal parking during Fridays, etc.? =P

just to state some to compare the double standards. =P

Lion dance will play from 10pm to 8am without stopping? Just be at the Thaipusam 2 days events and you will understand what I mean.

Instead of banning. Could have change the timing rite?

Need not to stop the culture thingy becos of some complain rite?

↡ Advertisement