Thaipusam set to turn down volume

Yellowrx8

Instead of banning. Could have change the timing rite?

Need not to stop the culture thingy becos of some complain rite?

It's a overnight thing, unless the organizer wants to change the timing, not sure if it's possible in the view of religion. I pity those staying near to the routes.

↡ Advertisement

Lion dance will play from 10pm to 8am without stopping? Just be at the Thaipusam 2 days events and you will understand what I mean.

It's a couple of days. Do you know how irritating it is for me, over a whole month, to have neighbors (at different times and on different days) bring in lion dance troupes into their homes and create a noisy din? Then those same troupes drive up and down the street making a ruckus. Not to mention the noise and inconvenience (compromise of parking space, congestion, etc.) caused by Getais at another time of the year. And how about the air pollution from all the roadside burning? That's not just damaging to mental peace, but actually harmful to physical health.

We live in a multi-cultural society, which is built on mutual tolerance. If you can't understand or accept that, then you don't belong here. [rolleyes]

Edited by Turboflat4

It's a couple of days. Do you know how irritating it is for me, over a whole month, to have neighbors (at different times and on different days) bring in lion dance troupes into their homes and create a noisy din? Then those same troupes drive up and down the street making a ruckus. Not to mention the noise and inconvenience (compromise of parking space, congestion, etc.) caused by Getais at another time of the year.

We live in a multi-cultural society, which is built on mutual tolerance. If you can't understand or accept that, then you don't belong here. [rolleyes]

i am not siding anyone.

but i think what you have written is also somehow what i feel too.

if there is a need to turn down volume, Getai or something similar must do the same, else double standards.

So is it also good and fair if lion dance troupes are banned? They have loud drums, etc. too.

Yes, ban them from certain places, suits me fine, but lion Dance is still not comparable to a full scale thaipusam procession lah

i think this is too extreme and it is not like everyday thingy.

too strict.

how about CNY lion dance, illegal parking during Fridays, etc.? =P

just to state some to compare the double standards. =P

ban them all lah.... -_-

Yes, ban them from certain places, suits me fine, but lion Dance is still not comparable to a full scale thaipusam procession lah

You're right. One is held over a couple of days at most. The other is prolonged over a whole month. It's clear which is the more disruptive to an outsider.

We're all outsiders when it comes to someone else's culture. But if we have no mutual tolerance, then our society will just crumble away.

This gahmen, despite all its faults, has up till now always fallen on the right side when it comes to letting people worship and celebrate the way they want to (the only exceptions being when life or property are actually threatened - e.g. fireworks). But they seem to be on a slippery slope right now. Unless they play fair with this sort of thing, a lot of people are going to get pissed off.

ban them all lah.... -_-

OK, lah, if you do it fairly (equal misery for all), I have nothing to say. But it would be a joyless society indeed.

Siao. Totally do not understand the rationale, as if the noise is all-year long. It is just a 2-day event!

Our month-long 7-mth getai and cny lion dance are even noisier. Just let pple celebrate lah. [hur]

Tank road is near Oxley Road/Oxley Garden/Oxley Rise.

Old man need peace.

You're right. One is held over a couple of days at most. The other is prolonged over a whole month. It's clear which is the more disruptive to an outsider.

We're all outsiders when it comes to someone else's culture. But if we have no mutual tolerance, then our society will just crumble away.

This gahmen, despite all its faults, has up till now always fallen on the right side when it comes to letting people worship and celebrate the way they want to (the only exceptions being when life or property are actually threatened - e.g. fireworks). But they seem to be on a slippery slope right now. Unless they play fair with this sort of thing, a lot of people are going to get pissed off.

Its not as simple as you see it. There's also other factors that warrants this new rules. I wonder where you are staying with such frequents lion dance, you can always lodge a complaint with the authority if you feel irritated by it, anyway lion dance don't play at 3am in the morning right. I believe this is one of the main deciding factors for this new rule. You just imagine yourself staying along the routes with people playing drums , singing, shouting throughout the night. I don't think you will like it when you still have to get up early to go work. Not forgetting this year event is held during weekdays, so how do you expect those people to have their rest. There's also quite a number of new residentials flats along the routes. I wonder how many times have you go down to take a look at the real situation, you wilbe surprised how rowdy it can be sometimes. Just go to the HDB blk beside the temple after midnight and you will know what I mean.

Edited by Dafansu

Its not as simple as you see it. There's also other factors that warrants this new rules. I wonder where you are staying with such frequents lion dance you can always lodge a complaint with the authority if you feel irritated by it, anyway lion dance don't play at 3am in the morning right. I believe this is one of the main deciding factors for this new rule. You just imagine yourself staying along the routes with people playing drums , singing, shouting throughout the night. I don't think you will like it when you still have to get up early to go work. Not forgetting this year event is held during weekdays, so how do you expect those people to have their rest. There's also quite a number of new residentials flats along the routes. I wonder how many times have you go down to take a look at the real situation, you wilbe surprised how rowdy it can be sometimes. Just go to the HDB blk beside the temple after midnight and you will know what I mean.

Thanks for the advice. I shall certainly consider lodging a complaint about the lion dance troupes.

And the roadside burning.

And the getais.

No, actually I don't think I'll be doing that. Because, clearly unlike you, I respect that other people have deeply held beliefs and that tolerating them, even when it costs me a little rest or sleep, is the decent thing to do. <_<

Some Singaporeans are damn f--ked up la. I remember the other time there was this guy who called the authorities to shoot down a bird which was making too much noise in the morning and spoiling his sleep.

Stupid people.

Thanks for the advice. I shall certainly consider lodging a complaint about the lion dance troupes.

And the roadside burning.

And the getais.

No, actually I don't think I'll be doing that. Because, clearly unlike you, I respect that other people have deeply held beliefs and that tolerating them, even when it costs me a little rest or sleep, is the decent thing to do. <_<

Sorry I'm just sharing my views on the possibility on why they came out these rules. In no way did I show any disrespect to other religions. I'm in no way affected by any of these and I still go down for the Thaipusam festival yearly to support my Indian friends and enjoy the occasion. if you have friends staying along the routes you will understand better. Hope to see you at Perumal this year. And lastly I would like to reiterate, it's just not a simple case of noise pollution to come out with these rules, there's a lot other factors which if you want to know can check with the relevant

Edited by Dafansu

Pls la, its just a 1 day event.

Its just that the Bloody HEB has lost its voice.

Music is needed to stimulate the devotees. its gives them encouragement to walk. Its not easy carrying 30-50kg of steel with as many as 20-50 spikes piercing your body.

Dear Devotees, if possible pls make some noise to HEB. These clowns are suppose to help us not bring us down.

If they keep banning this and that, mark my works, soon Thaipusam will only be for carrying milk pot, no more kavadis.

And if our multi cultural society cant take this, than its better we ban all noise.

Lion dance, Wedding procession, Ghost festival and anything events that make noise.

OK, lah, if you do it fairly (equal misery for all), I have nothing to say. But it would be a joyless society indeed.

ban funerals too ok? [:p][:p][:p]

Sorry I'm just sharing my views on the possibility on why they came out these rules. In no way did I show any disrespect to other religions. I'm in no way affected by any of these and I still go down for the Thaipusam festival yearly to support my Indian friends and enjoy the occasion. if you have friends staying along the routes you will understand better. Hope to see you at Perumal this year. And lastly I would like to reiterate, it's just not a simple case of noise pollution to come out with these rules, there's a lot other factors which if you want to know can check with the relevant

was just wondering.... when people buy their homes around that particular area... i am sure they knew about this thing...

if not, then they did not do enough homework before buying their place...

was just wondering.... when people buy their homes around that particular area... i am sure they knew about this thing...

if not, then they did not do enough homework before buying their place...

the main crux is ppl are getting more intolerant....or their intolerance has breached the threshold and that is why ppl are now becoming more bold to state these issues against, culture, race, etc....it is a boilng pot, I tell you and the gahmen is watching v closely <_<<_<

↡ Advertisement