Thaipusam set to turn down volume

Yellowrx8

Even noisy a bit is ok, jus once a year only mah.

the counter argument is those 7 month getais?? and auctions??

Turbocharged

Some Singaporeans are damn f--ked up la. I remember the other time there was this guy who called the authorities to shoot down a bird which was making too much noise in the morning and spoiling his sleep.

Stupid people.

i wouldn't say 'Singaporeans'... some people is more appropriate. FT included. :ph34r:

the main crux is ppl are getting more intolerant....or their intolerance has breached the threshold and that is why ppl are now becoming more bold to state these issues against, culture, race, etc....it is a boilng pot, I tell you and the gahmen is watching v closely <_<<_<

yes getting more intolerant... this i agree very much... just wondering did FTs play a part in this....

wah lao...... this kind of event happens once a year only also want to control....... sigh..... maybe next time no fireworks to watch liao.... too noisy.....

Ai lor , fully agree !

KNN , next time ppl want to see the real Thaipusam must fly to india liao ?

More leeway for Thaipusam celebrations next year.

IIRC, in the old days (late 1960s or early 1970s), Thaipusam was a public holiday which would go a long way towards maintaining order for this celebration as the procession is along a congested Serangoon Road and Tank Road if not mistaken.

Don't understand why they just don't make it another public holiday so that we end up with a nice 12 PHs and also since Christians have 2 (GF n Xmas), Muslims have 2 (HRP n HRH), Buddhists/Chinese have 2 though 1 is not exactly a religious celebration (VD and CNY) so Hindus should also have 2 (Deepavali n Thaipusam).

Hopefully, the authorities will do something so that the Hindus can observe their celebration whilst the rest of us avoid these places so win win for all!!  

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/more-music-to-be-allowed/2311850.html

• Praise 11

IIRC, in the old days (late 1960s or early 1970s), Thaipusam was a public holiday which would go a long way towards maintaining order for this celebration as the procession is along a congested Serangoon Road and Tank Road if not mistaken.

Don't understand why they just don't make it another public holiday so that we end up with a nice 12 PHs and also since Christians have 2 (GF n Xmas), Muslims have 2 (HRP n HRH), Buddhists/Chinese have 2 though 1 is not exactly a religious celebration (VD and CNY) so Hindus should also have 2 (Deepavali n Thaipusam).

Hopefully, the authorities will do something so that the Hindus can observe their celebration whilst the rest of us avoid these places so win win for all!!  

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/more-music-to-be-allowed/2311850.html

I think there's a more detailed answer as to why...

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/why-thaipusam-is-no-longer-a-public-holiday-in-singapore-050043065.html

The manpower ministry says Thaipusam is no longer a public holiday in Singapore because it was one of several religious observances that were given up by various religious leaders in 1968.

In a letter to the Singaporean Today newspaper on Friday evening, Ministry of Manpower (MOM)'s Workplace Safety and Strategy Division director Alvin Lim said the religious public holidays were given up due to the need to compete in the global market, following the withdrawal of British colonial troops.

His letter could be viewed as a response to claims that public holidays here were allocated by race, as opposed to what it actually is — religion.

Muslims, he said, chose to give up the Prophet Muhammad's birthday as well as an additional day after Hari Raya Puasa. Christians chose the Saturday and Monday that followed Good Friday and Easter Sunday respectively. Hindus chose between Thaipusam and Deepavali, and opted to give up the former.  WHoa, didn't know so many PH were given up man. We have been short changed.

"These were difficult decisions for the leaders of each faith," said Lim. "The Buddhists, who comprised the largest faith and had only one public holiday to begin with, Vesak Day, were not asked to offer cuts. Some groups continued to mark their significant religious occasions, such as Vesakhi for the Sikhs and Lao-Tzu's Birthday for the Taoists, without these being public holidays."

Why music is banned during Thaipusam processions

Speaking on the ban on playing musical instruments, Singapore's Hindu Endowment Board (HEB) said it had over the years received complaints about disorderly and disruptive behaviour that detracted from the spiritual experience of the procession.

HEB explained in a statement published on The Straits Times website, also released on Friday, that it had over the years negotiated for relaxation of certain aspects of the law on behalf of the Hindu community.

Among these were allowing singing religious hymns along the route, and, in 2012, having static points along the procession route for the broadcast of religious hymns. Music has always been allowed at the start and end points, within temple grounds, the HEB added.

The HEB also said it counsels kavadi bearers individually on the rules governing the procession two weeks before it takes place. At these sessions, kavadi bearers sign undertakings to abide by the law. However, some still engage music groups to accompany them. It is on these occasions, when HEB marshals are unable to seek their cooperation, that police are called in.

"The HEB does not believe that it is necessary to tighten the conditions for the procession," the statement said. "In fact, contrary to public misperception, we have never made representations to the authorities to move in this direction."

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) also released a statement on Friday responding to "misrepresentations and rumours online and offline" regarding the Thaipusam procession, as well as the incident relating to the three men who were charged with disorderly behaviour.

"If such activities are deemed to incite enmity between different communities and races, the Police will investigate and take firm action against anyone responsible for such offences," the statement said. "Singaporeans should reject such actions and never allow them to take root in our society. "

MHA also stressed that opinions and accounts regarding the three men, excluding a fourth individual who on the same day was arrested for possession of "offensive weapons", are subject to ongoing investigations. The ministry also added that the allegation by a woman that she was pushed to the ground by police officers is being investigated by the Police Internal Affairs Office.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

I think they just want to balance between the nos. of holidays and the workdays by the private sector...

• Praise 4

Thaipusam today...https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/singapore/thaipusam

Roads to avoid. https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/content/onemotoring/en/on_the_roads/traffic_news.html

1) 09/02 12:37 Heavy Traffic on River Valley Road near River Valley Road Junction.

2) 09/02 11:29 Heavy Traffic on Selegie Road between Rochor Canal Road and Middle Road. <--- Little India and surround roads most likely affected.

3) 09/02 08:46 Heavy Traffic on Clemenceau Avenue (towards River Valley Road) after Unity Street.

No3. since this morning. I heard it on the radio.

Heng  just now I quickly divert to mohamed sultan road > martin road > havelock road > CTE to avoid using river valley road.

Edited by Watwheels

The many indian colleagues and frens I have, most are Christians. Only Hindus celebrate Thaipusam. And they are are telling me that the number of chinese who also celebrate Thaipusam with them also going up.

Quite surprising info.

Thaipusam today...https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/singapore/thaipusam

Roads to avoid. https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/content/onemotoring/en/on_the_roads/traffic_news.html

1) 09/02 12:37 Heavy Traffic on River Valley Road near River Valley Road Junction.

2) 09/02 11:29 Heavy Traffic on Selegie Road between Rochor Canal Road and Middle Road. <--- Little India and surround roads most likely affected.

3) 09/02 08:46 Heavy Traffic on Clemenceau Avenue (towards River Valley Road) after Unity Street.

No3. since this morning. I heard it on the radio.

Heng just now I quickly divert to mohamed sultan road > martin road > havelock road > CTE to avoid using river valley road.

...ehhh...hope I dun kena...no choice but to take Selegie at 5ish later.

...ehhh...hope I dun kena...no choice but to take Selegie at 5ish later.

Search for Google map live update lor. I just took a peek...still red(slow) on the roads I mentioned earlier.

Good luck.

How come no holiday?

That's true. Why no MP wants a relook at our public holidays?

I can understand back when they took away some holidays becoz we started out as a young nation. 50years on and many flash floods later we are still stuck with so little public holidays. Knn. <_<

↡ Advertisement