Will this Lexus be cheap in Singapore too?

SimonTan

2011 Lexus CT 200h, a sportier Prius

It's a sportier Prius. The 2011 Lexus CT 200h shares a lot of componentry with the Prius but comes in a more practical hatchback configuration, with a stiffened chassis and better suspension and wrapped in a body that is less bland than its Prius progenitor.

That's one way to look at it. If you want to be less enthusiastic you'd say that it is yet another disappointing pretender trying to pass itself off as a performance hybrid and not fooling anyone. You could say it's as uninspiring to drive as the Honda CR-Z, but without the CR-Z's sexy body.

Lexus just hopes you buy it. Previous Lexus models of approximately this size and shape--the SportCross, the HS 250h--did not set the market on fire. At least not here in the United States.

The CT 200h is made for Europeans, where small hatchbacks and eco-cred go a lot farther. Europe will get as many as 20,000 of these a year while the States will get less than 12,000. Either way, this is a relatively small seller in both markets.

The CT 200h takes almost 10 seconds to go from 0 to 60 mph. From behind the wheel that seems like forever. Total system output is just 134 hp, counting 98 hp from the 1.8-liter gasoline-fueled four and the rest from a pair of electrically powered motor generators.

But, if you think of it first and foremost as an efficient hybrid, you'll see it makes 42 mpg EPA combined. Improvements to the chassis stiffen it up with the aim of better response.

"It is not a race car but it provides the responsiveness for a real driving enthusiast," promised chief engineer Osamu Sadakata. "I designed it to be fun to drive."

We drove it and find that the way you see it depends almost entirely on your expectations. If you are a Prius pilot looking for more excitement, you'll be happy if not thrilled. If you're a Lexus IS 350 driver seeking to save the world, you will miss your IS 350 but will be willing to do with fewer thrills to save the Earth.

The CT 200h uses the same 2ZR-FXE 1.8-liter DOHC 16-valve VVT-i four as the Prius. In addition to that, the CT 200h has two electric motors. Transmission duties are handled by sets of planetary gears called, collectively, a power split device that functions as a CVT.

The battery pack consists of 28 NiMH modules (lithium ion is "in the future," Toyota says) that together have a peak output of 27 kilowatts. The 201.6 volts from the battery pack are boosted to 500 volts for normal acceleration and 650 volts in sport mode.

Sport mode is one of four modes available. A knob on the dash allows you to select normal, eco or sport, while a separate button engages EV mode. While the CT will go into EV mode on its own when it deems that more efficient, you can push the button yourself and go as far as "a couple miles" without internal combustion.

Sport mode changes the response of the vehicle's speed-sensitive electric power steering, traction control and power control unit for what Toyota describes as "excitement." Again, that notion is relative.

To further that excitement, the CT's body is stiffened with extensive use of high-strength steel and lightened with an aluminum hood, bumper reinforcements and rear door. Extra pinch welds were added for increased stiffness. In place of passive strut-tower braces, the CT 200h has performance dampers connecting the two MacPherson struts in front and the trailing-arm double wishbones in the rear. These stiff dampers reduce vibrations while also stiffening the body structure.

Lexus lists competitors as the Audi A3, the BMW 1-series and the Volvo C30. Pricing will be released closer to the car's February launch but it will be "below the IS," according to Lexus general manager Mark Templin. Pricing for the IS starts at about $33,000 for an IS 250.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20101012/c...4#ixzz1BXZfipIR

This probably sums up Lexus as a brand. No matter how they build it, its a TOYOTA pretending to be in luxury segment.... [:p] I know sure kenna flame but its a fact...

Can someone tell me is there such thing as Full hybrid ? what is the diffence between a full and a normal? Can anyone enlighten me, please. :D

there are actually extra "tax" for environmental friendly cars. it is to safe guide too many ppl buying (hybrid, electric, diesel cars, etc) and the petrol kiosk close down...

malaysia has given great tax concessions to hybrids. now an insight costs less than a civic. that's why CT200h is "cheap".

you wait and see whether singapore will give discount to hybrids. better still, seperate COE category or road tax concessions.

I read a car mag review on this car. I have to agree with the car mag journalist that it's not in anyway "sportier" dan a Prius, in fact it hardly anything remotely sporty even from the looks dept. Unless the 1.8L Atkinson cycle petrol engine is supercharged, otherwise it's just a repackaged Prius, abit more luxurious.

So far I think our gov is least supportive on green movement. Even some shopping centres in MY has started the "No plastic bag day" on Saturday.

cos singapore mall is not using plastic bag... they use recycled paper bag.... [laugh][laugh]

cos singapore mall is not using plastic bag... they use recycled paper bag.... [laugh][laugh]

I've not been shopping in Singapore supermarket for years. You mean supermarkets are actually using "paper" bags instead of plastic bag and all day long?

Regards,