Mazda 6 vs subaru legacy

Expertz

I think that we are too young not too old.

Older folks will like to see old cars like old flame.

Young people forgot about olf flame and wan young things and add a Sweet into it [laugh]

[laugh] [laugh] point noted

↡ Advertisement

Has anyone recently shopped between these models?  Seems as though there have been significant changes, with the Legacy having less power now than the Mazda and the price difference is also significant especially if you compare the Subaru 2.5 with the top trim Mazda 6 2.5 Luxury that has roughly equivalent equipment like sunroof, blind spot monitor, etc.  These are both still made in Japan, so on my shortlist.

Edited by Nostalgia

Has anyone recently shopped between these models?  Seems as though there have been significant changes, with the Legacy having less power now than the Mazda and the price difference is also significant especially if you compare the Subaru 2.5 with the top trim Mazda 6 2.5 Luxury that has roughly equivalent equipment like sunroof, blind spot monitor, etc.  These are both still made in Japan, so on my shortlist.

You don't see many new Legacy on the roads don't you? Mazda 6 is better in terms of fuel economy, interior and exterior. That's basically all the reasons you need to get the Mazda 6.

If you want something unique, then go for the Legacy.

• Praise 1

There's strong rumors coming out from Japan that the 2 companies will merge in to one like Audi. and will be run as one brand.

So whichever way.. same outcome... you still got to pay COE for it..

If you can wait for the new Legacy, then wait for it.

Enjoy the fun of AWD and boxster engine

What new Legacy, bro?  I've been tracking model announcements, and the only mentions I've found is a new 'Sport' trim for 2017, which is irrelevant for our market since MI only brings in the one that makes most financial sense for them.  No model refresh or face lift announced.  Maybe I missed what you have read.

You don't see many new Legacy on the roads don't you? Mazda 6 is better in terms of fuel economy, interior and exterior. That's basically all the reasons you need to get the Mazda 6.

If you want something unique, then go for the Legacy.

Legacy wins on rear legroom, which was key criterion for uncle family man like me. Coupled with the significantly lower price (spec for spec), it was a no brainer for me.

Subaru, such a niche brand. Cars of this category are just too competitive. The AWD does not associate with fuel economy. The N/A boxer isn't as torquey as an N/A inline 4. Need to really rev it to feel the torque. Plus the CVT just do not make the overall package look attractive. The default choice for this category is still non other dan the Camry.

Subaru Legacy needs a 2 Litre Turbo Engine from the WRX...the 2.5 N/A....high road tax+not so good performance.

True, but then again I (and other midsized family sedan shoppers) might not be able to afford the premium for that engine option.

As for 2.5NA, the same argument applies to Mazda 6, Camry, Teana, etc, and those are the direct competitors. Family sedans with 2.0T engines (Passat, E-Class, 5 series, A6, S60, etc) are a different price bracket altogether.

Subaru, such a niche brand. Cars of this category are just too competitive. The AWD does not associate with fuel economy. The N/A boxer isn't as torquey as an N/A inline 4. Need to really rev it to feel the torque. Plus the CVT just do not make the overall package look attractive. The default choice for this category is still non other dan the Camry.

Extremely niche brand, with an Ah Beng reputation. Which I'm actually glad for or it might cost more.

For the same CC, which boxer did you find less torquey than a straight 4? Just curious hor, not challenging you or anything. As for the FB25 engine in the current Legacy BN9, low-end torque is actually pretty good, partly because AFR is a healthy 12 until 3k rpm, after which it drops off to 11 and, eventually, 10.5. My main complaint is actually lack of power above 4.5k rpm, so my experience is actually that there's no point revving, not that you need to rev, hahah.

Edited by Muser
  • Praise 2

For exterior styling Mazda 6. But for overall performance and comfort ,the Subaru Legacy.

Mazda is well known for its handling aka conti feel among jap car aspect.

Extremely niche brand, with an Ah Beng reputation. Which I'm actually glad for or it might cost more.

For the same CC, which boxer did you find less torquey than a straight 4? Just curious hor, not challenging you or anything. As for the FB25 engine in the current Legacy BN9, low-end torque is actually pretty good, partly because AFR is a healthy 12 until 3k rpm, after which it drops off to 11 and, eventually, 10.5. My main complaint is actually lack of power above 4.5k rpm, so my experience is actually that there's no point revving, not that you need to rev, hahah.

Exactly.

It's lacking the power feel so u need the rev to really move.

AFR doesn't really matter. It's just engine characteristic

Mazda is well known for its handling aka conti feel among jap car aspect.

Yes. Between Fwd cars, Mazda best feel.

But when Awd compare with Fwd, there will be some things can feel shiok in the Awd.

Like when on twisty roads where the Awd hugs the curves and on wet roads where the grip is better.

It's lacking the power feel so u need the rev to really move.

AFR doesn't really matter. It's just engine characteristic

It's very true that there's only so much you can do to alter engine characteristics, which are physically engineered into the car. Eg, since the Legacy's FB25 engine is multi-port injection, max hp potential will always be lower than direct injection. And even though there's dual AVCS (Subaru's equivalent of VTEC), the physical cam profiles will limit high-end power gains.

But within those constraints, there's actually still a lot that can be done to improve efficiency and power delivery.

I'd also argue that AFR does matter. It won't magically change power delivery style (eg, low-end power, no top-end), but it will maximise the efficiency of that power delivery, and also affect FC.

Yes. Between Fwd cars, Mazda best feel.

But when Awd compare with Fwd, there will be some things can feel shiok in the Awd.

Like when on twisty roads where the Awd hugs the curves and on wet roads where the grip is better.

The great thing about the Legacy's AWD is that it includes torque vectoring, so that you get some of the excitement of RWD handling where you can continue to steer your car in the right direction even after you lose traction, rather than merely have all four wheels slide at the same rate. And these handling characteristics can be further tweaked with anti-roll bars, springs and coilovers.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2