The fight against loansharks

Sgnick

http://www.asiaone.com/News/The%2BNew%2BPa...215-263644.html

20110215.151842_110215-loansharks.jpg

They now live like this

By Koh Hui Theng

[email protected]

FED up with loan sharks splashing paint at her Serangoon flat repeatedly, counsellor Sheena Jebal came up with a novel way to ward them off.

She and her next-door neighbour installed a metal gate in the common corridor near their units. They rent the space from HDB.

It's the first time residents are renting the common area because of loan shark harassment, HDB told The New Paper. Ms Jebal, 37, and her neighbours, the Roslis, have been paying HDB about $22 yearly for the space since last December.

She said she forked out $1,500 to install the metal gate along the 11 sqm common area too. The Roslis live in a corner unit on the second storey.

They said they have been harassed by loan sharks since they moved in last year; Ms Jebal in May and the Roslis in August. Both claim they have not borrowed from loan sharks.

So has the gate been effective in keeping out the Ah Longs? Yes, so far.

Ms Jebal and the Roslis said they haven't had paint splashed outside their flats since they installed the gate in December last year. But Ms Jebal added that the loan sharks have got to her in another way. Last month, they sent her a letter demanding payment, saying it was their last warning.

"If you have money to buy the flat, you have money to pay the debt," the loan shark allegedly told Ms Jebal when she first called the man.

Note in Chinese

That was last April, when her flat was being renovated. A note written in Chinese characters had been left at her door then and Ms Jebal had dialled the mobile number, thinking it belonged to a contractor.

The loan shark claimed a previous tenant owed $25,000. Ms Jebal had paid $308,000 for the four-room A model flat at the end of 2009. She had heard from her agent that the market rate was about $350,000 then.

When this reporter tried calling one of the loan sharks, this is what he said: "Sister, there's three things you can do. One, track down this guy who owes money. Two, call the police. Three, I come and paint your place."

He then hung up. But Ms Jebal was determined not to give into the intimidation.

She said: "I didn't borrow the money, so why should I pay?"

Between May and July last year, she said paint had been splashed at her flat four times. She has called the police "many times" and also asked her Member of Parliament, Mr Wee Siew Kim, for advice.

A police spokesman confirmed that they have received calls about loan shark harassment. Investigations are ongoing. Ms Jebal said there were increased police patrols around the neighbourhood. The authorities also installed four CCTV cameras along the corridor.

Still, the ongoing harassment is mental torture, even though there have not been any paint attacks or letters since August.

"It's a horrible feeling looking over your shoulder all the time and feeling that someone is monitoring your movement," Ms Jebal said.

After receiving the threatening letter, she is thinking of putting up a badminton netting over the corridor to prevent the loan sharks from throwing in any objects from outside.

Her neighbour, Mrs Sarimah Rosli, 39, added: "Whenever we come home, we're always wondering if the loan sharks will creep up behind us and do something."

Her husband, technical officer Rosli Basri, 44, said: "I'm most worried about the safety of my two youngest boys in kindergarten. What happens if the loan sharks end up hurting them?"

When contacted, an Ang Mo Kio-Yio Chu Kang Town Council spokesman said they had advised Ms Jebal to make a police report. She added that loan shark harassment cases are rare in the town council's area.

MP Wee said in an e-mail reply to The New Paper: "Although the (corridor space-renting) solution may not be applicable to all, the gated solution works well."

Since May 1993, HDB has rented corridor space out, mainly to related families living next to each other's units. Flat lessees pay a nominal sum of $2 per square metre per year.

They have to ensure their neighbours can access common facilities like the staircase and lift lobby, while firemen can reach the dry risers, a spokesman said. As of last month, HDB had 130 cases of residents jointly renting the common area.

Edited by Sgnick
↡ Advertisement

Will anyone even pay up the loan to the loanshark on behalf of former flat owner? I think not. And loansharks very well know that too. So why harass the new owners of the flats? What do they gain? After all they are just running a business for the money, harming innocent people also won't get them money, only get more police reports against them. Burning cars also.

Seriously, I don't understand why it's so difficult for the police to track down the loan sharks. They paste/paint their number everywhere with the O$P$ signs.

omg, you mean u actually think they care?

Not care or dont care, u missing my point. U think sending runners to illegally splash paint no risk ah? Isn't it a waste of their time? If u run a business will u do unnessecary non-profitable things? Isnt it better to send your runners to trace the whereabouts of the borrower rather than splash splash burn burn but still no results?

Edited by Sgnick

Actually it is a waste of SPF resource to deal with these loan sharks. I am quite sure SPF know where the ex-owner stays, SPF should provide those ex-owner's address to the loan sharks and let them settle themselves. <_<

Ah long only got last registered address as ic.

So of coz they harass the occupants in that address..

Hdb should work with ah longs, keep them updated of debtors change of address.

Ah long only got last registered address as ic.

So of coz they harass the occupants in that address..

Hdb should work with ah longs, keep them updated of debtors change of address.

I can tell u, the ah longs already know that the borrower sold off the flat and run off liao, and they know that the current owner is not the borrower. I have an ex-collague kena the same fate. He called up the Ah Long, the ah longs say they know he is not the borrower, but they dont care. Does this mean the ah longs really mean to force the new owners to pay? They must be dreaming. Who the fark will pay someone elses loan? If given a choice between pay $20K to the ah longs, or use my $20K to deter/eliminate the ah longs, I rather choose the later option. Maybe offer the money as a reward in newspaper for information leading to the arrest of the loanshark.

Edited by Sgnick

Neutral Newbie

totally agree, borrower shd be prosecuted as well! [whip]

nobody forced borrower to borrow $ from loanshark. Those borrower should know the consequences if unable to payback and not KPKB when loanshark chase after them for payment, making whole world think they are victim! [:|]

Aiyo...stupid stupid.

They got it all wrong!!

The gate should be openable by anyone who wants to go in.

There should be a spring loaded door hinge to close the gate automatically.

To get out, you will need a key to open the lock from inside.

This way...when the ah-long runner comes to splash paint, the gate will allow them in. But locked them inside!

The two units can call police to catch the ah-long runners.

If want to be cruel, Buay engine oil on the gate/parapet that is along the outside wall. When the ah-long runner kena stucked inside will surely try to climb the gate fencing, and the engine oil will send them plunging down to their destiny!

This will end their problems once and for all.

Edited by SimonTan

i must say this is a excellent idea [laugh] can go in but cannot go out [laugh]

edit:

what if the runner call 2nd runner to open the door? :D :D :D

Edited by Kerwen

One of my relative, her neighbour borrowed from loan shark and her door was also splashed with paint by accident. LL have to clean up the mess. Somehow they managed to get hold of her house telephone number. They called her and threaten her to ask the neighbour to call them. If he does not pay than she has to pay as she is suay that she is staying next door. My relative damn nasty .... told them they more suay and stupid that they loan money to someone that cannot afford to pay up.

They stopped calling after they realise that my relative is "nasty" as well. These people will bully "soft" people ....

I agree that the borrower should be punished as well ....