The fight against loansharks

Sgnick

One day if you guys happen to spot loanshark runners spraying paint and vandalized, what will u do? Call police and let them run away? Whack them on the spot? Take pictures put on stomp? Preach to them say its wrong? :D

Do it the Singaporean way... act blur and walk away if none of my business! [:p]

↡ Advertisement

Do it the Singaporean way... act blur and walk away if none of my business! [:p]

I'm fact this is what happen in SG.. I would love to have a good kick at his kkj and let substance p shoot 265 mph up to his brain!

From what i know splash on the debtor 100 , splash on neighbour 400. Typically find siam kia to do it. Cause even if they kana caught , you can't get anything out of them.

Anyway nowadays i think ah long also grown smart , some use legal means to do it. Force the borrow to sign loan agreements beforehand. Many banks actually "outsource" their uncollectable debts to such debt collection companies.

All these talk and initiatives about actions against the loansharks and their runners, .... why not have an law against borrowers (or has it already been implemented?)?

After all, ... it was a mutually agreeable 'business deal' - though the interest rate is very much inflated.

Imagine, ... you go borrow S$100K from a loanshark, and you agree to all his terms and conditions.

When it's time to payback, you call the cops on him.

Fair?

I only feel sad for those truly innocent victims - those who didn't patronise the loansharks, and yet face harassment.

I say, ... hurl the borrowers into jail too!

P.S. Please don't come and tell me that they have no choice then turn to loansharks. You make the bed, you sleep in it. Don't come whining and running to the cops simply cos the borrowers can't live up to their end of the deal.

All these talk and initiatives about actions against the loansharks and their runners, .... why not have an law against borrowers (or has it already been implemented?)?

After all, ... it was a mutually agreeable 'business deal' - though the interest rate is very much inflated.

Imagine, ... you go borrow S$100K from a loanshark, and you agree to all his terms and conditions.

When it's time to payback, you call the cops on him.

Fair?

I only feel sad for those truly innocent victims - those who didn't patronise the loansharks, and yet face harassment.

I say, ... hurl the borrowers into jail too!

P.S. Please don't come and tell me that they have no choice then turn to loansharks. You make the bed, you sleep in it. Don't come whining and running to the cops simply cos the borrowers can't live up to their end of the deal.

err.... no one is saying the borrower has the right or need to be protected.....

we are talking about neighbour been harassed by the loanshark unnecessarily hence take actions against them -_-

Hi guys.

Am a long time lurker of this forum trying to get some help on my current situation. Cant start new threads yet so I'm posting this here. Hope it's ok

Im currently facing loansharks problem. Let me begin by saying that i know how stupid I am and that I deserve fully for what's happening to me now. I wont even try to make up any excuse for myself.

To cut a long story short what happened was that i allowed a friend of mine to use my name and address to borrow from them. And now he has "run road" so i am made to carry everything. Total is around 6k+. Yes it is under MY name and address. and yes i know how f--king stupid this is.

I already made it very clear to them that i am not going to pay them a single cent. (dont have the means to anyway) So now, I'm fully expecting them to come my house and harass. So far I havent made a police report but i will once they do something. My main question is that what is the best way to deter them from coming my place. The key word here is "deter" as the only thing i can do now is to make them think twice about coming my house. I'm already planning on installing CCTV. Anyone here who has similar experience dealing with them can offer some advise ? If it is not convenient, feel free to PM me..

Would appreciate any help.

Hi guys.

Am a long time lurker of this forum trying to get some help on my current situation. Cant start new threads yet so I'm posting this here. Hope it's ok

Im currently facing loansharks problem. Let me begin by saying that i know how stupid I am and that I deserve fully for what's happening to me now. I wont even try to make up any excuse for myself.

To cut a long story short what happened was that i allowed a friend of mine to use my name and address to borrow from them. And now he has "run road" so i am made to carry everything. Total is around 6k+. Yes it is under MY name and address. and yes i know how f--king stupid this is.

I already made it very clear to them that i am not going to pay them a single cent. (dont have the means to anyway) So now, I'm fully expecting them to come my house and harass. So far I havent made a police report but i will once they do something. My main question is that what is the best way to deter them from coming my place. The key word here is "deter" as the only thing i can do now is to make them think twice about coming my house. I'm already planning on installing CCTV. Anyone here who has similar experience dealing with them can offer some advise ? If it is not convenient, feel free to PM me..

[laugh] U champion lah. Anyway, on a serious note, nothing much u can do unless u are Ip Man's student or something. U go police they wl tell u to pay them off to solve the problem since its in yr name and they can't verify if u are the actual borrower.

Neutral Newbie

The problem is Singaporeans can only let the runners go free. Cant wacked or hold them either.

Few weeks ago, that suay banker who went to a flat at early hours, was kena wacked because one family thought he was the ah-long runner who is harassing the family.

The family kena charged and jailed!

Now runners also can claimed he is a Army Captain with a $5000 job, and he is just visiting his mistress. Dont play play hor.

If you really wacked the ah-long runner.....you think the runner is just your run-of-the mill simple obedient citizens? Or you think the runner got gangsters connection.

The runner will likely to revenge 10 times more on the attacker.

The only solution is to pushed the runner over the pararpet....make it look like a sucide!!! Thats the most effective option!

This did cross my mind... hahahah

Btw, Army Captain $5k job can have mistress meh? How much can he give her each month???

Seriously, I don't understand why it's so difficult for the police to track down the loan sharks. They paste/paint their number everywhere with the O$P$ signs.

there are pple who lim kopi together...?? :o

Hi guys.

You allowed your friend to borrow under your name. Which means you gave consent that you'll be liable for the loan. As such, you should honor your words and make good the repayment, regardless of who the loaner is or whatever your friend did.

The operators have seen people with no honor like you and they know exactly how to deal with your type. Everyone pays, eventually, one way or the other. So don't try to be clever and make the issue more difficult than it is. They just want their money back. Keep it simple.

This did cross my mind... hahahah

Btw, Army Captain $5k job can have mistress meh? How much can he give her each month???

cpt pays her in kind, with precious juice :D

Neutral Newbie

cpt pays her in kind, with precious juice :D

I think in society, most of the time is the guy pays the girl in tangible monetary terms for her repayment in kind. Else he would be the 'mistress' and she the captain.... [laugh]

even if your friend loan from a proper financial institution..aka bank, with your details as guarantor, the bank will still chase you...loansharks no need to say lah

the only thing you can do is to pay up or move house, or run road with your friend....else if you also got 背景, you can ask the loansharks to come out to 讲数...but then, the main ah long normally won't come out one..it's their runners, assistants....so the best thing to do is run road...or report to polis adek....or spend money to hire aetos or cisco guards to jahgar your door

I think in society, most of the time is the guy pays the girl in tangible monetary terms for her repayment in kind. Else he would be the 'mistress' and she the captain.... [laugh]

LOL... your last sentence describes the 'ideal' situation for the guy.... but not to the extent of he taking advantage and eats 'soft rice'..... :D

http://www.asiaone.com/News/The%2BNew%2BPa...215-263644.html

They now live like this

By Koh Hui Theng

[email protected]

FED up with loan sharks splashing paint at her Serangoon flat repeatedly, counsellor Sheena Jebal came up with a novel way to ward them off.

She and her next-door neighbour installed a metal gate in the common corridor near their units. They rent the space from HDB.

It's the first time residents are renting the common area because of loan shark harassment, HDB told The New Paper. Ms Jebal, 37, and her neighbours, the Roslis, have been paying HDB about $22 yearly for the space since last December.

She said she forked out $1,500 to install the metal gate along the 11 sqm common area too. The Roslis live in a corner unit on the second storey.

They said they have been harassed by loan sharks since they moved in last year; Ms Jebal in May and the Roslis in August. Both claim they have not borrowed from loan sharks.

So has the gate been effective in keeping out the Ah Longs? Yes, so far.

Ms Jebal and the Roslis said they haven't had paint splashed outside their flats since they installed the gate in December last year. But Ms Jebal added that the loan sharks have got to her in another way. Last month, they sent her a letter demanding payment, saying it was their last warning.

"If you have money to buy the flat, you have money to pay the debt," the loan shark allegedly told Ms Jebal when she first called the man.

Note in Chinese

That was last April, when her flat was being renovated. A note written in Chinese characters had been left at her door then and Ms Jebal had dialled the mobile number, thinking it belonged to a contractor.

The loan shark claimed a previous tenant owed $25,000. Ms Jebal had paid $308,000 for the four-room A model flat at the end of 2009. She had heard from her agent that the market rate was about $350,000 then.

When this reporter tried calling one of the loan sharks, this is what he said: "Sister, there's three things you can do. One, track down this guy who owes money. Two, call the police. Three, I come and paint your place."

He then hung up. But Ms Jebal was determined not to give into the intimidation.

She said: "I didn't borrow the money, so why should I pay?"

Between May and July last year, she said paint had been splashed at her flat four times. She has called the police "many times" and also asked her Member of Parliament, Mr Wee Siew Kim, for advice.

A police spokesman confirmed that they have received calls about loan shark harassment. Investigations are ongoing. Ms Jebal said there were increased police patrols around the neighbourhood. The authorities also installed four CCTV cameras along the corridor.

Still, the ongoing harassment is mental torture, even though there have not been any paint attacks or letters since August.

"It's a horrible feeling looking over your shoulder all the time and feeling that someone is monitoring your movement," Ms Jebal said.

After receiving the threatening letter, she is thinking of putting up a badminton netting over the corridor to prevent the loan sharks from throwing in any objects from outside.

Her neighbour, Mrs Sarimah Rosli, 39, added: "Whenever we come home, we're always wondering if the loan sharks will creep up behind us and do something."

Her husband, technical officer Rosli Basri, 44, said: "I'm most worried about the safety of my two youngest boys in kindergarten. What happens if the loan sharks end up hurting them?"

When contacted, an Ang Mo Kio-Yio Chu Kang Town Council spokesman said they had advised Ms Jebal to make a police report. She added that loan shark harassment cases are rare in the town council's area.

MP Wee said in an e-mail reply to The New Paper: "Although the (corridor space-renting) solution may not be applicable to all, the gated solution works well."

Since May 1993, HDB has rented corridor space out, mainly to related families living next to each other's units. Flat lessees pay a nominal sum of $2 per square metre per year.

They have to ensure their neighbours can access common facilities like the staircase and lift lobby, while firemen can reach the dry risers, a spokesman said. As of last month, HDB had 130 cases of residents jointly renting the common area.

I believe the CPF Board=Confimred Proven Failure board unwittingly sponsored the growth of loan sharks [shakehead] The strigent restricted access to CPF Members, or failure to return the Member's money, fuel the rise of loan sharks [shakehead] It has become the mastermind for local version of financial terrorism against its Members instead :angry:

Gigantic example of funds mis-management. [shakehead]

Supercharged

To avoid loansharks, the best place to stay is in a condo. I never heard condo units kenna splash paint by ah long before. Even landed property are not safe.

But nowadays the loansharks are idiots. They lend money to person X, they should go after person X. Instead they go for the home owner, even thou he/she is person Y. If they are person Y themselves, would they pay up? If they aren't confident person X will pay up, then don't lend.

Perhaps they should mobilized their runners to track down the real debtor instead of targeting the innocent new home owner.

Supercharged

Hi guys.

If you know the borrower, contact them and discuss how you can settle the payment, since you consent to be the guarantor. Work out a comfortable repayment schedule, and ensure you full up in time. You can only call in the Police if they harass you or your neighbor.

In the meantime, go track down that "good friend" of yours who had left you with this s--t to bear!!! [mad]

↡ Advertisement