Any mountain bike lovers here?

Cerano

Try out any entry level bike. Buy the 1 u r comfortable to ride with. Juz like buy car. Only when u ride regularly, u will know what u need. From thereon, u could build ur own.

↡ Advertisement

Try out any entry level bike. Buy the 1 u r comfortable to ride with. Juz like buy car. Only when u ride regularly, u will know what u need. From thereon, u could build ur own.

dunno leh was thinking put some money down on the best i can get for my budget instead of buying an entry first

dunno leh was thinking put some money down on the best i can get for my budget instead of buying an entry first

Rem what was ur 1st car?

If u don't start riding regularly, u won't know what is suitable for u. In addition, u won't know how long ur passion for cycling gonna last. Of course, u can get now & sell it later if u don't like. But used bike is always sold @ steep discount.

thanks bro will drop by.

because i currently know pretty much nuts about bikes so i was thinking of getting a pre-built bike. is 3k too low for a good one?

Thats where a good shop will come in handy, I guess. 3k is a good budget, dont worry about it. U dont drive cayman or a beemer 6, so u do not really need to set aside budget for a 15k bike.. :ph34r:

If u have time, read up @ smbf and togoparts. Many poisons there too... lol

Thats where a good shop will come in handy, I guess. 3k is a good budget, dont worry about it. U dont drive cayman or a beemer 6, so u do not really need to set aside budget for a 15k bike.. :ph34r:

If u have time, read up @ smbf and togoparts. Many poisons there too... lol

wah got 15k bike ah?

throttle wipe how many tables to buy? [laugh]

wah got 15k bike ah?

throttle wipe how many tables to buy? [laugh]

got... those super light super strong super sui etc etc bikes lor... [laugh]

he maybe need wipe half a table? [:p]:ph34r:

got... those super light super strong super sui etc etc bikes lor... [laugh]

he maybe need wipe half a table? [:p]:ph34r:

[laugh] 10k more to lose 2-3kg off the frame? may as well lose weight myself [laugh]

Hi guys

im thinking of getting a mountain bike from cannondale preferably with lefty suspension.

any recommendations? [laugh]

i'm out of touch with mountain bikes for more then a decade already. Canondales are pretty hardy, just dun go for headshoks(definitely not shiok). I fixed up my bike myself buying everything seperate because usually those equipment level such as the brakes, rims, shifters and gearing that come with standard models is usually no good and not cheap as a whole.

I still have fond memories of my Cannondale. Its a M900, full rigid for road use. Dun't know if this is still available right now but it was pretty popular back then. Bought just the cannondale frame with rigid front, complemented with brakes, shifters and gearings with mixture of Shimano XT & XTR. Some cannot remember whathisname rims, i remember all bearings from headsets, bottombrackets and hubs were Chris King with their very cool anodized looks and rattling sound suspension hubs. If going to trail, i'll just swap the fork to a rockshox front. All for about $3K plus, 90s price. There wasnt internet ordering back then, used to frequent a shop called Hup Leong iirc that was very popular for buying individual parts for DIY or something located at around tiong bahru. Probably moved somewhere else now.

If you don't do trails and not abuse the bike much you may consider Klein(but not cheap, generally above 3k). Super light bikes that you can raise with your pinky. I've always wanted one of those but i couldnt afford 2 bikes :(

I do not know the market price now but for 3k should still net you an above average bike. You can check out Specialized and Giant bikes, should be around the 1k(used to be) region with equipment levels pretty decent for their price. If its your first decent bike i would recommend that you look at these first, so next time you can still upgrade or play with mods without feeling too pain when you start to feel sian. (just like when i wanted to change to klein, damage too painful).

Edited by Friedpiggy

If its the same Hup Leong that i'm thinking of, the shop is at Chin Swee Road.

They seem like the only shop which carry Jamis bikes...

If its the same Hup Leong that i'm thinking of, the shop is at Chin Swee Road.

They seem like the only shop which carry Jamis bikes...

coz they are the official distributor for jamis and shimano

lefty is quite an old technology . even back in the days , i've had friends who removed them and use a 1.5 adapter to use other fork options.

anyway forget about c'dale. nothing fanciful about them nowadays. if you want something exclusive with lotsa custom options on the frame itself

yet backed up by great warranty .get a Nicolai.

and yes , a top of the line groupset/fork with a full sus nicolai frame would cost you 15k easily.

http://www.nicolai.net/

alternatively you can contact the guys here http://www.attitudebikes.com/

Edited by Rb26dett

thanks bro will drop by.

because i currently know pretty much nuts about bikes so i was thinking of getting a pre-built bike. is 3k too low for a good one?

bro $3k mid-range nowadays hardtail easily can cross $5k

Rock shox SID Team ($700) mid-range

XTR drivetrain ($1800) high end, some say XT will do dun need XTR also close to $1000 for XT. but to me the weight saving in XTR make a diff in Trail

your frame leh??

handlebar?

seat??, seat post?

rims? hub? spoke? tyre?

see easily cross $3k.

my bike was build in 2005 a hardtail and it cost me close to $6000. if you vain go for titanium frame, the frame can cost u easily $3000 litespeed one [:p][laugh]

Wow, good timing Cerano! I spent the last two days looking at bikes for myself!!!

Anyway everyone, my requirements are very different from his.

Fat already and need to lose weight [laugh] I'm planning on doing what I did in melb (before I got lazy), which is using a bike as a form of transport :D I was thinking of a basic/starters hardtail mtb with all-purpose tyres.

Anyway any recommendations for something I could to cycle to work daily as well as occasional off pavement use with the better half on weekends?

↡ Advertisement