Altis 05 Auto Engine Mounting kaput...

Stonesix

Changing any major replacement on car, like mounting or timing belt etc, confirm must get some trusted mechanic that you know, if not later got problem.

Exactly.

Even simple jobs I wont let any mech touch my car. Sometimes dunno if on purpose or due to their stupidity, those chap-a-lang repair 1 thing, something else wil spoil.

Been there, done that. Now I dont trust any mech unless he has been tried N tested a few times by me.

↡ Advertisement

emm...word of wisdom.....

i can see the logic...thanks

Which is why I always requested for those more experience mechanics to do it if the work involves more than just normal engine oil change. This applies for both JB and Singapore WS.

Which is why I always requested for those more experience mechanics to do it if the work involves more than just normal engine oil change. This applies for both JB and Singapore WS.

How u know which mech is really more experienced?

And when u leave, ty cud also just pass the work to the newbie to train on yr car.

Supersonic

Which is why it is better to send to the ws u always service your car, or recommended by friends who have patronize the ws before.

Changing major parts not like doing normal car servicing.

Exactly.

Even simple jobs I wont let any mech touch my car. Sometimes dunno if on purpose or due to their stupidity, those chap-a-lang repair 1 thing, something else wil spoil.

Been there, done that. Now I dont trust any mech unless he has been tried N tested a few times by me.

110% in agreement with you.

After my 80K warranty ran out with KM, I've done engine oil, ATF, fuel strainer and spark plugs change

including tthe recent engine mount all by myself.

Broke a few things - nothing serious luckily He! He!

i really wonder how to change the mouting by yourself....

i just check out the engine mounting in my car, i think i'll better leave it to the mechanic...

maybe i'll learn when i see him changing when the car send to fixing....maybe, just maybe not that difficult.

i just check out the engine mounting in my car, i think i'll better leave it to the mechanic...

maybe i'll learn when i see him changing when the car send to fixing....maybe, just maybe not that difficult.

Engine and gearbox mounting is not so difficult.....Got a few tips from my mechanic friend and from youtube

But the front and back ones - haven't tried yet

Sooner or later will be getting there as my ride is at 117K mileage

BTW what's your ride? Maybe I can give you a few tips

my ride: Altis 2005 auto

i check the engine compartment, and the screw seem to be not so reachable.

my ride: Altis 2005 auto

i check the engine compartment, and the screw seem to be not so reachable.

On the body side, U have to remove a long bolt and nut attaching the mounting to the engine.( they are on the side)cannot see from top

Ensure your engine is supported by a jack - preferably a hydraulic one

After detaching the mounting from the body, there should be a long guide bolt- loosen the nut (Do NOT remove the nut)

to allow you to jack up the engine and go under the car and using an extension socket to remove the bolts

holding the mounting.After that, then you can remove the guide bolt nut to remove the mounting

Having a good jack is important 'cos you might need to jack up and down the engine to remove the mounting.

I haven't change on the Altis yet but have done it on my old Corolla- basically all Toyotas are quite the same

BTW, there is NO need to change all 4 mountings

Change the engine mount ( driver side ) first and see whether the car still vibrate

Hope this helps

On the body side, U have to remove a long bolt and nut attaching the mounting to the engine.( they are on the side)cannot see from top

Ensure your engine is supported by a jack - preferably a hydraulic one

After detaching the mounting from the body, there should be a long guide bolt- loosen the nut (Do NOT remove the nut)

to allow you to jack up the engine and go under the car and using an extension socket to remove the bolts

holding the mounting.After that, then you can remove the guide bolt nut to remove the mounting

Having a good jack is important 'cos you might need to jack up and down the engine to remove the mounting.

I haven't change on the Altis yet but have done it on my old Corolla- basically all Toyotas are quite the same

BTW, there is NO need to change all 4 mountings

Change the engine mount ( driver side ) first and see whether the car still vibrate

Hope this helps

Kiang!!!

....but I do not have hydraulic jack, not to say a good one.

Think better leave it to my mechanic. [wave]

Neutral Newbie

engine mounting effects auto vehicles more than manual,why i oso dunno,recently 2 of my frens changed their engine mountings,a 5 yr old hyundai matrix and a 7 yrs old nissan cefiro.

matrix guy noticed whenever he stops at a traffic light there will be vibrations from his car,he could feel the vibration and after 30 secs it will stop,went on for abt a month and when he was replacing his air con compressor in JB the mechanic highlighted that his mounting was gone. bought the mounting at the hyundai stockist ard $200+ and paid the JB wkshop to fix for him. no vibrations liao

cefiro guy noticed sounds whenever he accelerates ard 2nd gear to 3rd gear,brought it to mechanic diagnosed as mounting wear,changed and sound gone.

engine mounting effects auto vehicles more than manual,why i oso dunno,recently 2 of my frens changed their engine mountings,a 5 yr old hyundai matrix and a 7 yrs old nissan cefiro.

matrix guy noticed whenever he stops at a traffic light there will be vibrations from his car,he could feel the vibration and after 30 secs it will stop,went on for abt a month and when he was replacing his air con compressor in JB the mechanic highlighted that his mounting was gone. bought the mounting at the hyundai stockist ard $200+ and paid the JB wkshop to fix for him. no vibrations liao

cefiro guy noticed sounds whenever he accelerates ard 2nd gear to 3rd gear,brought it to mechanic diagnosed as mounting wear,changed and sound gone.

Not true!

Depend on your style of driving.

Having said that, mounting is different for auto and manual car

How you ( or rather your mechanic ) take care of your engine when servicing is important

Brake, steering , ATF and engine oil change / top up

if spill onto your mounting and not remove immediately will cause the rubber to weaken overtime

How many of you ( or your mechanic ) bother to check the engine and clean up

Supersonic

Your frens's car already 5 yr & 7 yr old still bother to change mounting? [rolleyes] Changing mounting not a cheap parts replacement lo. Unless the owner really plan to drive very long or till 10 year, then changing mounting after 5 yr mark is worth it.

Changing of mounting, the mechanic really lift up the engine? [confused]

Its really not a job for the DIY. for safety reason, better leave it to the mechs.

(edited)

Its really not a job for the DIY. for safety reason, better leave it to the mechs.

Even though it is DIYable, saw some youtube clips.

But you need to have appropriate tools to do it with some basic knowledge of process flow, like which nuts to loosen first, how to support the engine, etc...

Bravo! to those who change it them-self....but i think I'll better leave it to my mechanic...

cheapest way to have fix is buy your own parts from stockist and fix them in Malaysia, or ws here...

best way to check your parts:

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/

Start by select your car...

Edited by Stonesix
↡ Advertisement