Used car dealers tampering odometer readings

Grix17

hehe for discussion sake, i will throw in something contrarian.

i have attended a pdpa course before.  if i interpret correctly what i was taught, personal data is only applicable when the person is identified with the data and not when a car's data is leaked.  for a data to be identified with a person, elements of person's name or his nric is required to be cited together.  to summarise, it means borneo motors would technically not be contravening the PDPA if they reveal the car was sent to servicing on what day which mileage without revealing the owner's name and nric number.  trans eurokars actually did reveal such information to the would be buyer of a saab even though he is not officially one.

but i do agree with you.  borneo probably play it safe with the pdpa hangng at the back of their mind.  they would probably feel more assured to release the data with the new owner of the car and know they are above board with regards to the administration of the pdpa rules.

i believe they already had this practice even before PDPA... so more of a company policy than anything

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

yep.....probably pdpa is the official reason to cite and makes their job easier also.

many layman will accept that as a reason.

i believe they already had this practice even before PDPA... so more of a company policy than anything

yep.....probably pdpa is the official reason to cite and makes their job easier also.

many layman will accept that as a reason.

To be frank, CASE, Singapore Vehicle Traders Association and LTA should step in to ensure that the ADs and WS provide the service records / Mileage of the Vehicles to the potential customers when the potential customers enquire as long as the vehicles are put on sales, all these records should be make available to potential customers and this will make it difficult for 2nd car dealers to adjust the mileage since it'll be useless...  Better still, those vehicle inspection centre should record the mileage of the Vehicle in the inspection certificate for those cars that go for vehicle inspection.  

CASE, SVTA and LTA should make life difficult for those 2nd hand car dealers to adjust mileage instead of asking customers to do their own diligent when the ADs / WS refuse to provide the servicing record / mileage of the Vehicle in question.

I rest my case here.

• Praise 1

To be frank, CASE, Singapore Vehicle Traders Association and LTA should step in to ensure that the ADs and WS provide the service records / Mileage of the Vehicles to the potential customers when the potential customers enquire as long as the vehicles are put on sales, all these records should be make available to potential customers and this will make it difficult for 2nd car dealers to adjust the mileage since it'll be useless...  Better still, those vehicle inspection centre should record the mileage of the Vehicle in the inspection certificate for those cars that go for vehicle inspection.  

CASE, SVTA and LTA should make life difficult for those 2nd hand car dealers to adjust mileage instead of asking customers to do their own diligent when the ADs / WS refuse to provide the servicing record / mileage of the Vehicle in question.

I rest my case here.

i don't agree.... the AD will face countless calls and WS worse, some customers may be 1 off.... too much hassle

more feasible would be for owners to update mileage when renewing road tax and this to be kept in database by LTA

Supercharged

this is not the first instance govt has not taken a proactive approach to dealing with the malpractice that consumers suffered.  i am really not surprised nor hoping for change.

I rest my case here.

Turbocharged
(edited)

If odometer spoilt who is going to verify and at what cost I wonder. And if last owners never report how? There is potentially too many possibilities. If a policy needs too much cost to outweigh the benefits then it doesn't make sense.

Edited by Ingenius

Supercharged

i rem my car many years ago, indeed the odometer is spoilt.  went to AD to replace it but they didn't adjust the new odometer reading to the real one.  so my car the mileage looks low and i didn't tamper with it.   [;)]

If odometer spoilt who is going to verify and at what cost I wonder. And if last owners never report how? There is potentially too many possibilities. If a policy needs too much cost to outweigh the benefits then it doesn't make sense.

• Praise 2

i rem my car many years ago, indeed the odometer is spoilt.  went to AD to replace it but they didn't adjust the new odometer reading to the real one.  so my car the mileage looks low and i didn't tamper with it.   [;)]

Actually, the AD will has the record of the spoilt ODO reading and the new replacement ODO reading. And adding the 2 up will give them the actual ODO reading - the period when the ODO spoilt till replaced.

Supercharged

yep.  i am not saying there is no way to find out.  just sharing my personal experience of an instance of odometer spoilt as our fellow forumer had brought up.

Actually, the AD will has the record of the spoilt ODO reading and the new replacement ODO reading. And adding the 2 up will give them the actual ODO reading - the period when the ODO spoilt till replaced.

Hypersonic
(edited)

To be frank, CASE, Singapore Vehicle Traders Association and LTA should step in to ensure that the ADs and WS provide the service records / Mileage of the Vehicles to the potential customers when the potential customers enquire as long as the vehicles are put on sales, all these records should be make available to potential customers and this will make it difficult for 2nd car dealers to adjust the mileage since it'll be useless... Better still, those vehicle inspection centre should record the mileage of the Vehicle in the inspection certificate for those cars that go for vehicle inspection.

I rest my case here.

SVTA is a joke.

Singapore Vehicle Traders Association first vice-president Raymond Tang said odometer-tampering is "quite common".

Every time I see him get interviewed on tv, I cringed.

Edited by Fcw75

Neutral Newbie

I was told by 2 reputable casetrust​ dealers that it is pretty common in the industry. Just like army, do don't get caught only. There are only a handful of dealers I know who insist on not adjusting their mileage and they are all casetrust accredited.

The best is that if the dealer claim that it's serviced by the AD themselves or the manufacturer, ask for the service record and call them verify it yourself.

• Praise 1

I was told by 2 reputable casetrust​ dealers that it is pretty common in the industry. Just like army, do don't get caught only. There are only a handful of dealers I know who insist on not adjusting their mileage and they are all casetrust accredited.

The best is that if the dealer claim that it's serviced by the AD themselves or the manufacturer, ask for the service record and call them verify it yourself.

Nothing new. My army buddy said his bro-in-law, who runs a PI, had asked him before whether he needs help to adjust his mileage if he wants to sell his car. Quite sure his BIL has no reason to lie/joke with him, and he's an honest guy.

Turbocharged

You can gauge the mileage from the interior.

This 2007 Mercedes E200's mileage was advertised as 103,000km, but looking at the worn out steering wheel and seats, and shiny gear knob, I highly doubt the mileage.

post-27974-0-51108000-1500856074_thumb.jpg

You can gauge the mileage from the interior.

This 2007 Mercedes E200's mileage was advertised as 103,000km, but looking at the worn out steering wheel and seats, and shiny gear knob, I highly doubt the mileage.

Time plays a factor too if parked open carpark..

If the merc driver was a dua pui sai and the beemer driver was a fun size driver.. the wear n tear of leather seats can't say that much. If the driver wore ring on his fingers can also damage the steering wheel. [drivingcar]

↡ Advertisement