Used car dealers tampering odometer readings

Grix17

pay a bit more n get a pre-owned from AD

Getting from an AD is not just paying a bit more. I dont mind if it is a bit more, it is many bits more.   

There is always genuine cases....like my father in law's Toyota...mileage was only 40k when he traded in his 9 years old Altis. 3 years back.

Anyway, always be careful when the ad didn't put in any mileage information...this is the first tell tale sign that the meter is tampered.

• Praise 1

That's why used Toyotas are so popular, coz most are running chains.

Actually you can rev the engine and listen carefully especially when the rpm is dropping. Compare a few cars of the same model you can tell the difference. Best is get a trusted mechanic along.

All this is still happening because there are still people willing to pay more for "low mileage" cars driven by "careful lady driver" to "buy groceries less than 5km km away". Don't know hear this how many times already.

"Careful lady driver" actually is a joke, do you really believe a lady driver who has more car care knowledge than man in general? [:p]

• Praise 3

Slightly more than a year ago I traded my Citroen C5 for another car. Mileage was recorded as 128k km after driving for 6 years. I was the first owner. after a few days, I saw an ad in SGCarmart for my Citroen. Mileage altered to 80K km. No point whistle blowing the company that I traded with but just to show everyone that most of them will adjust to suit the buyers(feel good factor). As for me, I drove the traded car to my mechanic to evaluate it's condition. So I bought the car as I trust my mechanic but after knowing that the mileage of my Citroen was tampered, I kinda wonder about the actual mileage of the car I bought from them. Ignorant is a bliss.

You should have. That's why the system remains crooked.

I think it depends on the age of the car. 

Once I got a 2 years old Avante that still have servicing package with Komoco motor. So when I got the car, I went back to service @ Komoco and the mileage matched with their record.

If the car still under warranty and serviced under AD, I doubt 2nd hand car dealer dare to tempered the mileage as the seller (original owner may have taken picture to prove the mileage on the day of handover). So any changes in between, 2nd hand car dealer will be liable for tempering and cheating.

This car showing mileage from trip meter instead of total actual mileage  [laugh]

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=795794&DL=1360

I wonder why the government chooses to turn a blind eye to these mileage tempering?  :mellow:

Sold my pte hire car to dealer, dealer put car for sale on sgcarmart mileage adjusted by 100k km

This is solid proof that commonly used private cars like Kia Cerato Forte K3, Honda Vezel, Mitsubishi Attrage are best avoided to purchase as used cars.

https://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=789555

Used car dealer adjusting mileage spotted!!

Claimed that car only 16k mileage. But the invoice attached in one of the photos states “performed 45k servicing”

Buy at your own risk!! SKL

Service interval for Volkswagen is 15,000km or 12 mths, whichever comes first.

Wonder why Korean and Jap cars, it's 10,000km, or 6 mths, whichever comes first.

• Dislike 1

The altis as well. PHV company have a lot of this model

This car showing mileage from trip meter instead of total actual mileage  [laugh]

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=795794&DL=1360

I wonder why the government chooses to turn a blind eye to these mileage tempering?  :mellow:

This is solid proof that commonly used private cars like Kia Cerato Forte K3, Honda Vezel, Mitsubishi Attrage are best avoided to purchase as used cars.

Service interval for Volkswagen is 15,000km or 12 mths, whichever comes first.

Wonder why Korean and Jap cars, it's 10,000km, or 6 mths, whichever comes first.

Turbocharged

I have just gotten an old Nissan from a 2nd hand car dealer, it is 9 years old this year but only has 107,000 km on the meter.

Everything looks good - Engine bay looks sparkling clean and all that.

Is there any way I could have a sense of whether the mileage is genuine? 

A quick check on the internet shows that the car used to be registered with Tan Chong Service Home page.  Would they be able to provide me with a service history for this car, free of charge?

Well, for example, if the record happens to show 150,000 km done in say, year 2014, then we could easily infer that the odometer has been tampered with.  

Thinking of doing a simple check as above.