Used car dealers tampering odometer readings

Grix17

wrong!

what if...........

dealer say he was driving in reverse?! haha.. gotcha! [idea]

LOL.... then ask him to do a full demo and reverse 20k km to prove it can be done :D:D

↡ Advertisement

LOL.... then ask him to do a full demo and reverse 20k km to prove it can be done :D:D

Actually hor, since we reverse so little, does the mileage of reversing goes into the odo as well? Anyone wanna voluteer a 100m reverse? [laugh]

I dunno if it's possible. But they advertise online with low mileage but sell with actual mileage. Since some won't check alr.

The best system would be to send all cars to lta inspection before selling. Dealers must see the cert that states the actual mileage before buying it over. And that cert must go with the car. Turn who pays for the inspection? The seller. Maybe charge 20 bucks enough. And the inspection will be done by pte companies with independent overseas auditors.

sibei good idea.... [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

Maybe CASE or Associations of Used Car Dealers etc should required by law to do things this way:-

Every car that is taken over by used car dealers from the original owners should be subject to a quick (less than 5mins) inspection by vicom etc to certify the mileage at the point of sale. This will 'lock in' the mileage before the used car dealers can put these cars on the market for sale. Buyers can demand for the certificate before they consider buy the cars from these used car dealers.

Question: will the gahmen be pro-consumer enough to make this happen?

Not sure why till today CASE is toothless? ..... due to pro-business gahmen policies at the expense of we the consumers? Any idea from bros here to these questions?

it is a good idea but what if the dealer brings the car to his fav ws for a quick fix to the odo before sending to inspection ?

how about requiring seller to do this inspection in order for him to sell his car to any dealers. the seller can include the inspection fee into the final selling price. if every seller is doing this, the eventual seller may also buy another 2nd hand car knowing at least the certification of mileage n condition is more truthful and that inspection fee already included in the package, so no need to send for inspection.

it is a good idea but what if the dealer brings the car to his fav ws for a quick fix to the odo before sending to inspection ?

how about requiring seller to do this inspection in order for him to sell his car to any dealers. the seller can include the inspection fee into the final selling price. if every seller is doing this, the eventual seller may also buy another 2nd hand car knowing at least the certification of mileage n condition is more truthful and that inspection fee already included in the package, so no need to send for inspection.

Yes, it's better to make the seller do the mileage inspection and get the cert before he sells it to the dealer. This is actually what I wanted but did not make it clear in my previous post.

Of course, some dealers may tell the seller "If you let me do the inspection for you, i will pay more for your car..." or something similar so that he can do a quick fix before the inspection.

Another loop hole: the seller himself can also get someone to rewind the mileage before he sends his car for the inpseciton [:/]

Hope some bros can suggest ways to prevent dealer / seller trying to fake such mileage certification by either seller or dealer..

Yes, it's better to make the seller do the mileage inspection and get the cert before he sells it to the dealer. This is actually what I wanted but did not make it clear in my previous post.

Of course, some dealers may tell the seller "If you let me do the inspection for you, i will pay more for your car..." or something similar so that he can do a quick fix before the inspection.

Another loop hole: the seller himself can also get someone to rewind the mileage before he sends his car for the inpseciton [:/]

Hope some bros can suggest ways to prevent dealer / seller trying to fake such mileage certification by either seller or dealer..

A quick reply to your question is "TOUGH" as adjusting mileage is not illegal but use it to cheat is illegal and need to PROOF which is the toughest part.

As it will be "YOUR WORDS" VS "THEIR WORDS"

Those car dealers are deem to be experts in car dealing line as they easily have more than decades of experience and know the loop hole inside out and all around. Want to screw them up is not easy, you need to have the proof and caught the person RED HANDED in adjusting.

If not, it will be a waste of your time. They can push it away easily.

• Praise 1

A quick reply to your question is "TOUGH" as adjusting mileage is not illegal but use it to cheat is illegal and need to PROOF which is the toughest part.

As it will be "YOUR WORDS" VS "THEIR WORDS"

Those car dealers are deem to be experts in car dealing line as they easily have more than decades of experience and know the loop hole inside out and all around. Want to screw them up is not easy, you need to have the proof and caught the person RED HANDED in adjusting.

If not, it will be a waste of your time. They can push it away easily.

True, at the end of the day buyers have to resort to the few steps below to 'protect' themselves:

1. Only buy a used car which comes with full service records (showing mileage) from reputable workshops

2. .... any more? .... [:)]

Turbocharged

wrong!

what if...........

dealer say he was driving in reverse?! haha.. gotcha! [idea]

You , Kind Sir,

Need to watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

See what they do the Fellali.....and watch a totally gorgeous car go out the back of a garage and down a ravine. :angry:

(edited)

This is so funny. I thought adjusting mileage dated back to 10 years ago? Long long ago when there was no SGCARMART, there was only newspaper. It wasnt so easy to trace. Such is the technology of internet. Last time it cost $300 to adjust a nissan sunny, today i think it only cost $80 to adjust on a toyota estima.

GRIX17: if your mileage is 62000km for june 08 estima, do you think the dealer will buy your car at so high?

There are probably some dealers who dont adjust the mileage of the car, but i believe that particular dealer quoted you much lower than the rest.

Eg.You want to sell yr 3 year old Parallel Imported Honda Stream. The advertised prices ranges from $69k to $76k. The mileage done on yr car is 120,000km.

Dealer A who do not adjust mileage offer you $65k

Dealer B who adjust mileage offer you $68k

Who will you sell to?

Isnt the answer very obvious?

Of cos, buyers can do 1001 ways to counter this from happening.

They can buy AD cars with service record, they can ask for receipts, they can buy from direct owners blah blah... then again do you really think it's 100% foolproof?

Service record from AD are just so easy...

all the dealer needs to do is to check when did the seller last went back to AD for servcing.

Eg. A 4 year old car with a mileage of 85000km. The owner last went back to AD for servicing 1 year ago(that is when the car was 3 years old) when the mileage was 60,000km. After which, he send to outside workshop to do.

All the dealer have to do is to adjust the mileage back to 65,000km, then he send the car to AD to do the cheapest servicing so that he can have the so called "AD chop" on the service booklet.

When you ask him how come the previous owner only travelled 5000km in the last 1 year while he travelled avg of 20,000km previously? The dealer can just say," Oh the previous owner was posted overseas in the last 1 year"

Buying from direct owners? LOL... cmon, there are so many people in this forum who knows where to get their meters adjust...

Take picture of the current speedometer?

When we sell our cars, the dealer will always write all the particulars on their purchase agreement. 1 of the particular is the mileage of the car.

Eg. You are selling your car which has a high mileage. I offered you $3000 more than the rest of the dealers. The condition is that i will write the mileage done in the purchase agreement as something low. Will you do it?

Someone wrote only buy cars from reputable companies blah blah blah...

ISO, members of this , members of that, members of blahblah.. All you need is to spend some money and get people to vette the company...

In the end who pay for this? The buyers who buy from them.

No one in this industry dont adjust the mileage.

Still remember the last time you want to trade in yr car? The salesman ask you." Bro, when is the last time you go back agent for servicing?"

LOLOLOL...

It's almost impossible to find a Parallel Imported used car with high mileage!

If you do, better buy from that dealer, cos he's confirm a honest dealer. Then again, you wont look at that particular unit. Cos the mileage is too high!! LOL

I agreed that this adjusting mileage is not right, then again, it's money that's creating this problem. And it begins with everyone...

Edited by Automotive_Guru
  • Praise 1

This is so funny. I thought adjusting mileage dated back to 10 years ago? Long long ago when there was no SGCARMART, there was only newspaper. It wasnt so easy to trace. Such is the technology of internet. Last time it cost $300 to adjust a nissan sunny, today i think it only cost $80 to adjust on a toyota estima.

GRIX17: if your mileage is 62000km for june 08 estima, do you think the dealer will buy your car at so high?

There are probably some dealers who dont adjust the mileage of the car, but i believe that particular dealer quoted you much lower than the rest.

Eg.You want to sell yr 3 year old Parallel Imported Honda Stream. The advertised prices ranges from $69k to $76k. The mileage done on yr car is 120,000km.

Who will you sell to?

They can buy AD cars with service record, they can ask for receipts, they can buy from direct owners blah blah... then again do you really think it's 100% foolproof?

all the dealer needs to do is to check when did the seller last went back to AD for servcing.

Eg. A 4 year old car with a mileage of 85000km. The owner last went back to AD for servicing 1 year ago(that is when the car was 3 years old) when the mileage was 60,000km. After which, he send to outside workshop to do.

All the dealer have to do is to adjust the mileage back to 65,000km, then he send the car to AD to do the cheapest servicing so that he can have the so called "AD chop" on the service booklet.

When you ask him how come the previous owner only travelled 5000km in the last 1 year while he travelled avg of 20,000km previously? The dealer can just say," Oh the previous owner was posted overseas in the last 1 year"

Buying from direct owners? LOL... cmon, there are so many people in this forum who knows where to get their meters adjust...

When we sell our cars, the dealer will always write all the particulars on their purchase agreement. 1 of the particular is the mileage of the car.

Eg. You are selling your car which has a high mileage. I offered you $3000 more than the rest of the dealers. The condition is that i will write the mileage done in the purchase agreement as something low. Will you do it?

ISO, members of this , members of that, members of blahblah.. All you need is to spend some money and get people to vette the company...

Still remember the last time you want to trade in yr car? The salesman ask you." Bro, when is the last time you go back agent for servicing?"

LOLOLOL...

If you do, better buy from that dealer, cos he's confirm a honest dealer. Then again, you wont look at that particular unit. Cos the mileage is too high!! LOL

I agreed that this adjusting mileage is not right, then again, it's money that's creating this problem. And it begins with everyone...

Are you not a dealer?

Some buyers deserved to be cheated by 2nd hand car dealer due to their naiveity

Last time wen I'm selling my car...mileage 75k serviced by AD with full records...all buyer say very high mileage for a 3yr old car...then 1 of buyer said he already bought a car from Ubi carmart 3yrs old car at milage of 47k...see they believe them rather than direct buyer with serviced records.

That's reason these dealers tweak mileage to secure sales

• Praise 1

Sync the odometer into the ECU. Using EPROM. That way, it will be too costly and troublesome to tweak.

Some buyers deserved to be cheated by 2nd hand car dealer due to their naiveity

Last time wen I'm selling my car...mileage 75k serviced by AD with full records...all buyer say very high mileage for a 3yr old car...then 1 of buyer said he already bought a car from Ubi carmart 3yrs old car at milage of 47k...see they believe them rather than direct buyer with serviced records.

That's reason these dealers tweak mileage to secure sales

LOL.... [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Can't agree more with you. Tried to sell my car direct and to direct buyer for 1 year. Most of the direct buyers hiam tang hiam saiz, lots of low ballers. In the end, it's the dealers that offered me close to my asking price. Finally sold to a dealer who offered quite a good price (better than direct buyers who low balled me). :D :D :D

LOL.... [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Can't agree more with you. Tried to sell my car direct and to direct buyer for 1 year. Most of the direct buyers hiam tang hiam saiz, lots of low ballers. In the end, it's the dealers that offered me close to my asking price. Finally sold to a dealer who offered quite a good price (better than direct buyers who low balled me). :D :D :D

In fact, some of the so called 'direct buyers' who show up / call could well be dealers-in-disguise to talk us down.... this is their tactics to 'force' us sell the car to dealers instead of genuine buyers at the end of the day.

Of course some real direct buyers are also troublesome to deal with, eg low-ballers as you described.

Are you not a dealer?

Yes I was. left the trade at the end of 2006. I do still meet up with some ex colleagues once in a while. I was expecting someone to ask me.. LOL..

Who will you sell to?

LOLOLOL...

psssst, show me where to get my 6series odometer adjusted leh ..... I give you $20 kopi money lah...

[cool] thanks

Yes I was. left the trade at the end of 2006. I do still meet up with some ex colleagues once in a while. I was expecting someone to ask me.. LOL..

I asked out of courtesy :D:D

↡ Advertisement