Used car dealers tampering odometer readings

Grix17

from pics look quite well kept interior for a 114k km car.. likely use as a company limo?

It was an auction car when I saw it 2 weeks ago. Steering wheel was worn, and centre armrest was torn. Scratches and scrapes on paintwork too.
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

It was an auction car when I saw it 2 weeks ago. Steering wheel was worn, and centre armrest was torn. Scratches and scrapes on paintwork too.

Quite surprising to hear that, even if it was a chauffer drive car, the driver would have taken good care of it. I was about to say even 114k km over 5 years is nothing for this big car, because the components are big and built to last, engine capacity is big enough that the car is in cruising most of the time, it should last for a long time

Twincharged

just want to point out that not all low mileage cars have been tampered with.

my mileage is around 7k kms per year and i have 2 cars.

• Praise 4

Usually interior condition very hard to fake unless totally re-upholstered (which would be too obvious). Once I saw a merc advertising 50K or 60K with interior looking like 150k.  I just smiled and walked away. 

• Praise 1

I know of at least 2 owners. 2014 golf 24,000 KM and another 2014 now just clock 60,000km

I think if there is a authentication system like a social media page, it would help the low mileage owners

Simple - only whether gahmen want or not only. During mandatory inspection, log the odometer mileage against the chassis number. See if owners can be bothered to clock their odometers before going to inspection every time
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Simple - only whether gahmen want or not only. During mandatory inspection, log the odometer mileage against the chassis number. See if owners can be bothered to clock their odometers before going to inspection every time

Well I don’t think LTA would be interested to do such additional work.

Anyhow if you look at those examples in quotz.com, you cannot hide age and mileage .

Tell tale signs include shiny steering wheel, sweaty smelling interior, worn out seats especially at the door edges .

Edited by No_worries
  • Praise 1

The biggest question should be "who is sleeping at his job now not doing anything or act like not knowing that all used car buyers are hoping for some helps or protection?" 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Maybe SG carmart can consider not taking money from used car dealers that have proof

that they tamper with milage.

You may think that they would lose money by not doing business with cheats.

But the reverse is true.

People that are buying cars will trust SG carmart more than walking around used car dealers.

:D

If you were spending thousands of dollars you would want to only use a website you can trust.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

Look at this ad - mileage stated as 120,000km.

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=829911&DL=1026

If you deciper what was written on the fuse box cover on the right (see image below) ....  [laugh]

225,000km <mileage>

Gearbox <repaired>

16-1-19 <date>

ATF <Automatic Transmisison Fluid changed>

181,404km <mileage>

11-8-18 <date>

Done 44,000km in 5 months. Possibly an ex-private hire car?

post-27974-0-92813100-1559306992_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vinceng

(edited)

mileage 12k per year?

who the idiot to believe

i consider myself super duper low mileage driver

i also clock at least 20k per year

and that include cheong nshw

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Look at this ad - mileage stated as 120,000km.

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=829911&DL=1026

If you deciper what was written on the fuse box cover on the right (see image below) .... [laugh]

225,000km <mileage>

Gearbox <repaired>

16-1-19 <date>

ATF <Automatic Transmisison Fluid changed>

181,404km <mileage>

11-8-18 <date>

Done 44,000km in 5 months. Possibly an ex-private hire car?

Allion mileage.jpg

Could be , I have seen renewed coe Allion on our roads.

Well this dealer eat already don’t know how to wipe mouth still dare to say showroom condition some more

Edited by No_worries

Supersonic
(edited)

mileage 12k per year?

who the idiot to believe

i consider myself super duper low mileage driver

i also clock at least 20k per year

and that include cheong nshw

Uh... I've clocked about 11,600km per year on my BMW M140i (which I got new), and that's including a drive to Sepang with a track day. The main usage of the car is for my wife to do the school run, but we also use it for other stuff.

And I've put around the same mileage (a bit below 12k per year) on my McLaren, which is my daily driver to work. That's inclusive of a few Malaysia drives along with one track day to Sepang. Already the mileage is much, much higher than the single previous owner had put on - 10k plus over 6 years lol. All certified mileage as it had only gone through AD and been sold by AD to me.

My father used to put quite ridiculously low miles on his multiple cars. When he was selling his Honda City (bought new from Kah Motors) with less than 3k after 2 years of usage, the butch from Garage R actually accused him of mileage tampering, to which he laughed in her face and told her to go fly a f'in kite. :D

But my point is: there are legitimately very low mileage cars out there, and they can be bread and butter models.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 7

(edited)

fully agreed there is legitimate low mileage car

my boss clock less than 6k mileage for his porky 911 as he has multiple car and never drive to msia

so all 3 cars add up still touch 18-20k mileage per year ...

in general we know what are those legitimate low mileage car [sly][laugh]

and yes my boss got a b&b daily beater car to run errands ... lol

Uh... I've clocked about 11,600km per year on my BMW M140i (which I got new), and that's including a drive to Sepang with a track day. The main usage of the car is for my wife to do the school run, but we also use it for other stuff.

And I've put around the same mileage (a bit below 12k per year) on my McLaren, which is my daily driver to work. That's inclusive of a few Malaysia drives along with one track day to Sepang. Already the mileage is much, much higher than the single previous owner had put on - 10k plus over 6 years lol. All certified mileage as it had only gone through AD and been sold by AD to me.

My father used to put quite ridiculously low miles on his multiple cars. When he was selling his Honda City (bought new from Kah Motors) with less than 3k after 2 years of usage, the butch from Garage R actually accused him of mileage tampering, to which he laughed in her face and told her to go fly a f'in kite. :D

But my point is: there are legitimately very low mileage cars out there, and they can be bread and butter models.

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2