A mum's reasons for paternity leave

Latka

Wat's yr take on this?

Personally, if u love kids, u wud put up wif the difficulties and challenges that comes wif it.

She can get assistance fm her own parents or in-laws wat.

Must be a really pampered girl.

ST Forum

Mar 7, 2011

SINCE we became first-time parents on Feb 9, it has been a roller-coaster ride for my husband and myself. First the baby had fever, then jaundice and later colic, not to mention the breastfeeding issues in between.

We may have been forewarned about all these when we read up on having babies, but that did not stop me from turning into an emotional wreck.

As a mother, I am supposedly the primary caregiver; generations of new mothers have gone through it and survived, so I should be no different.

Yet, I have been blessed with a husband who is an excellent father, and who is better at handling a baby than I am, and who would have been a great help during these trying times, if only he had paternity leave.

Instead, he is stretched trying to balance work, parenting and our relationship.

Annual leave is one option but approval is subject to work exigencies. Mandatory paternity leave would be a different story altogether, and ideally, it should be for one month, because the first month is the toughest for parents and tackling it jointly will help greatly.

I urge the authorities to consider mandatory paternity leave to improve our nation's birth rate. While I had previously entertained the idea of having two children, I do not think I can go through another round of the past few weeks without my husband by my side. I am sure many women out there will empathise with me.

Heng Yoke Khee (Ms)

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

I thought companies are already giving like 3 days of paternity leave?

Or is she asking for 4 months of paternity leave?

Wat's yr take on this?

Personally, if u love kids, u wud put up wif the difficulties and challenges that comes wif it.

If she is a pampered girl, she will go for her own parent or in-laws. And this happens to most singaporean.

Whats wrong to share the burden with her husband? i dont understand.

(edited)

she request to have it mandatory.....

Edited by Swingarm

Turbocharged

read leh. she got mention 1 month of paternity leave.

If she is a pampered girl, she will go for her own parent or in-laws. And this happens to most singaporean.

Whats wrong to share the burden with her husband? i dont understand.

Nothing wrong at all, but she said it herself, she sympathize wif her hubby.

Having new born is no joke wif the mummy needing to rest. So wat's wrong wif asking parents or in-laws to help?

Turbocharged

my take?? she is not being pamper.

during that 1 month, the mother who had just given birth need to rest well if not there will be a lot of potential problem later.

Wat's yr take on this?

ST Forum

Mar 7, 2011

SINCE we became first-time parents on Feb 9, it has been a roller-coaster ride for my husband and myself. First the baby had fever, then jaundice and later colic, not to mention the breastfeeding issues in between.

We may have been forewarned about all these when we read up on having babies, but that did not stop me from turning into an emotional wreck.

As a mother, I am supposedly the primary caregiver; generations of new mothers have gone through it and survived, so I should be no different.

Yet, I have been blessed with a husband who is an excellent father, and who is better at handling a baby than I am, and who would have been a great help during these trying times, if only he had paternity leave.

Instead, he is stretched trying to balance work, parenting and our relationship.

Annual leave is one option but approval is subject to work exigencies. Mandatory paternity leave would be a different story altogether, and ideally, it should be for one month, because the first month is the toughest for parents and tackling it jointly will help greatly.

I urge the authorities to consider mandatory paternity leave to improve our nation's birth rate. While I had previously entertained the idea of having two children, I do not think I can go through another round of the past few weeks without my husband by my side. I am sure many women out there will empathise with me.

Heng Yoke Khee (Ms)

Turbocharged

Having new born is no joke wif the mummy needing to rest. So wat's wrong wif asking parents or in-laws to help?

she didnt say she pamper wor.

so what is wrong with sympathize with her hubby?? she heart break her hubby going through so many issue mah.

(edited)

I dun think she's pampered. But the initial months are tough for 1st time parents, especially so if the baby have complications.

That's also why some couples hire a confinement lady. The mother can get more rest but it comes at a cost cos a confinement lady is not cheap. Judging from her baby's complications the parents have already spent a lot on medical expenses.

If she's a pampered girl dan it shud be no problem for her parents to help and pamper her all the way. For those who are parents will know how tough it's, the whole experience. The couple themselves find it tough even for their age, how do you think the aged old parents & in-laws will cope? Gov wants ppl to work until age 65 or more...ha. Imagine you are 65, working and have to help take care of a baby. Now you know why sgp got low birth rate.

I think Latka spoke too soon. When it's his turn he will know what is jialat and what is pampered.

Edited by Watwheels

(edited)

she didnt say she pamper wor.

so what is wrong with sympathize with her hubby?? she heart break her hubby going through so many issue mah.

Agree, I not saying wrong. But I'm sure her hubby love doing it too and not doing it grudgingly.

But it seems like she all alone at home when hubby at work. So during this time she definitely need help. She doesn't seem to mkention dat leh.

Edited by Latka

read leh. she got mention 1 month of paternity leave.

She say ideally. Now no paternity leave leh. Only the 2 days child leave which expires when child reaches 7 yrs old.

Turbocharged

Agree, I not saying wrong. But I'm sure her hubby love doing it too and not doing it grudgingly.

But it seems like she all alone at home when hubby at work. So during this time she definitely need help. She doesn't seem to mkention dat leh.

actually your starting post and later comment dont match :o

how come huh?

Turbocharged

She say ideally. Now no paternity leave leh. Only the 2 days child leave which expires when child reaches 7 yrs old.

yeah lah. i mean she mention 1 month and not 4 month.

i think 1 month a bit long. maybe 2 weeks will be enough.

Fully understand her but to give the husband 2weeks to 1mth's paternity leave is too much ...maybe the hubby can share the 4 months of her maternity leave....

Been through it before...my parents took care of the kids. It is quite troublesome for old grand-parents to bring a 1mth old baby to the doctor without a car. Need to bring milk powder, hot water, extra diaper, etc...Of coz they can take a taxi but they are old and dont expect them to keep carrying the baby...provided they bring along a stroller...which adds to their load...

When a baby has jaundice, the doctor might need to see the baby once or twice a week.

Just let the couple decide who to take the 4mth of the mother's maternity leave as some woman cant drive or even cant carry heavy things after giving birth

then why you said she is pampered? i dont see your rational at all in the first place.

If she's a pampered girl dan it shud be no problem for her parents to help and pamper her all the wayI think Latka spoke too soon. When it's his turn he will know what is jialat and what is pampered.

exactly this is what i say, she is not pampered at all.

actually your starting post and later comment dont match :o

how come huh?

find out everyone against his comment so change tone loh. [:p]

find out everyone against his comment so change tone loh. [:p]

Relax, just an opinion that I hv, don't take it so personal lah.

↡ Advertisement