Road Trip to Penang

cefiro_dude

Hi all. Was thinking of driving up to Penang later this month. Just curious, what are the good hotels over there?

And besides the yummy food, what are the attractions that Penang has to offer. Thanks !

↡ Advertisement

Hi all. Was thinking of driving up to Penang later this month. Just curious, what are the good hotels over there?

And besides the yummy food, what are the attractions that Penang has to offer. Thanks !

u can try G Hotel, it is at this Gurney Drive area, this place is good coz connected to a large mall and just a short walk u will see hawker centre selling yummy makans... this is facing sea but no beach

if u want away from crowd u can try one of the E&O hotels called The Lone Pine hotel at Batu Ferringhi, this one facing sea but has a pretty nice beach with lotsa sea sports activities to do... nice pool too and this place when u exit the main carpark entrance turn to your right n u will find lots of makan places too, i tried the steak at this popular franchise call The Ship.

in penang must try the famous char kway teow at Lebuh Selamat, first store just next to an open air parking!

183331_10150115276732148_574797147_6354810_2698735_n.jpg

183523_10150115276352148_574797147_6354798_7520025_n.jpg

190511_10150115276552148_574797147_6354806_33837_n.jpg

enjoy!

Be careful of the beach at Batu Ferringhi. I was stung by an Ikan Sembilang (Marine Catfish) and the pain was excruciating. The resort sent me to a polyclinic near the beach and 2 jabs of pain killers did nothing for the pain. The resident doctor told me that he would not get into the waters himself. Jelly fish stings are more common but if you are lucky, you get the Ikan Sembilang.

I will recomend the Traders Hotel. It is beside Komtar at Georgetown. There are also 2 shopping malls beside it, the Prangin Mall and the 1st Avenue. At night you can also walk to the New Lane Hawker for your supper.

If you are interested in the temple, you can visit

Kek Lok Si temple (remember to drive up to the air itam dam if you are there)

Wat Buppharam Thai temple (for the lifting Buddha)

Other places in georgetown

Chew Clan Jetty

Khoo Kongsi

Take the car ferry at Gerogetown ferry terminal accross to the mainland.

On your way to Batu Ferringhi Beach, you can also visit the Toy museum. There is also a night market along the beach stretch.

Shopping at Queensbay Mall, Gurney Plaza.

Also take the tram up Penang Hill

Hardrock hotel was very nice... I had quite a good time at Bayview cos we took the one with the one super king size bed and 2 single bed.... but i dun like bayview cos alot of ah tiong and the breakfast kinda sux... hardrock will be ideal if you like beach holidays... we had alot of fun outside the hotel eating and eating and eating... please bring Antacid tablets, high chance of over-eating...

You driving up?? Bring 500ml 100 plus and at least 1 litre of water, quite dehydrating to drive so long journey... If you drink alot of coffee, better to bring double of each of the fluid cos coffee dehydrate lagi fast... When you go for toilet stops or break, make sure dun leave passengers and engine running... if need to make sure you lock the door, if anything or anyone come and be funny, ask you passenger to press on the horn and HOLD!!!! dun press one time, but press continuously.... i leave a golf club in my car and i carry one with me when i go to the restroom, i usually bring 2 clubs in my car, 4 in our mpv if we drive mpv up (cos more pple going)...

Other than that, dress humbly, be polite, dun road hog, dun high beam and anyhow flash and dun be cocky on the roads and have fun... if you see the opposite direction flashing their headlights, slow down to speed limit for at least 2-3km, most likely speed trap or polis somewhere...

Edited by Meganut

Turbocharged

Hardrock hotel was very nice... I had quite a good time at Bayview cos we took the one with the one super king size bed and 2 single bed.... but i dun like bayview cos alot of ah tiong and the breakfast kinda sux... hardrock will be ideal if you like beach holidays... we had alot of fun outside the hotel eating and eating and eating... please bring Antacid tablets, high chance of over-eating...

You driving up?? Bring 500ml 100 plus and at least 1 litre of water, quite dehydrating to drive so long journey... If you drink alot of coffee, better to bring double of each of the fluid cos coffee dehydrate lagi fast... When you go for toilet stops or break, make sure dun leave passengers and engine running... if need to make sure you lock the door, if anything or anyone come and be funny, ask you passenger to press on the horn and HOLD!!!! dun press one time, but press continuously.... i leave a golf club in my car and i carry one with me when i go to the restroom, i usually bring 2 clubs in my car, 4 in our mpv if we drive mpv up (cos more pple going)...

Other than that, dress humbly, be polite, dun road hog, dun high beam and anyhow flash and dun be cocky on the roads and have fun... if you see the opposite direction flashing their headlights, slow down to speed limit for at least 2-3km, most likely speed trap or polis somewhere...

To add on, stop only at the major rest stops.. those with food, petrol kiosks, ATM etc.. it's called "Kawasan Rehat" instead of "Perhentian Sebelah"..

And don't road hog, unless you're driving a Veyron, there will always be a faster car, so please give way to them if you're on the right lane..

I will recomend the Traders Hotel. It is beside Komtar at Georgetown. There are also 2 shopping malls beside it, the Prangin Mall and the 1st Avenue. At night you can also walk to the New Lane Hawker for your supper.

If you are interested in the temple, you can visit

Kek Lok Si temple (remember to drive up to the air itam dam if you are there)

Wat Buppharam Thai temple (for the lifting Buddha)

Other places in georgetown

Chew Clan Jetty

Khoo Kongsi

Take the car ferry at Gerogetown ferry terminal accross to the mainland.

On your way to Batu Ferringhi Beach, you can also visit the Toy museum. There is also a night market along the beach stretch.

Shopping at Queensbay Mall, Gurney Plaza.

Also take the tram up Penang Hill.

All: confirm + chop can give the Toy Museum a miss. There are poorly assembled (and that's very little or it) vinyl and resin kits, (you can see the globs of glue sticking out) and poorly painted. The toys are also not any complete series of anything (spawn, marvel heroes, kamen rider, toy story ..etc) but just a collection of whatever the owner can get his/hands on...

It's like the old Clarke Quay flea market on shelves. You want proper toys collection, the shops at Mash & Mclennan Centre definitely win hands down

Sunway Hotel at Georgetown is quite ok. And there's a rather well known road side hawker street just outside of it. I had the best Chee Chong Fun there (there are at least 2 Chee Chong Fun pushcart stalls.. look for the one manned by a rather large guy) The pork porridge stall at the mouth of the street is also good ... they do the intestines well such that there is none of that funny taste.

Gurney Plaza and Queensbay Mall are the 2 newest shopping centres there. But unless you really want to check out their shoping centres over ours here, can give a miss to as it's pretty much the same as local shopping

Turbocharged

All: confirm + chop can give the Toy Museum a miss. There are poorly assembled (and that's very little or it) vinyl and resin kits, (you can see the globs of glue sticking out) and poorly painted. The toys are also not any complete series of anything (spawn, marvel heroes, kamen rider, toy story ..etc) but just a collection of whatever the owner can get his/hands on...

It's like the old Clarke Quay flea market on shelves. You want proper toys collection, the shops at Mash & Mclennan Centre definitely win hands down

hmm..what i see is completely the opposite.. Visited the toy museum last dec.. it's a treasure trove of all sort of figurines ranging from japanese animes to game characters.. I spent almost 1.5hrs just walking thru all the displays.. truly amazing..

hmm..what i see is completely the opposite.. Visited the toy museum last dec.. it's a treasure trove of all sort of figurines ranging from japanese animes to game characters.. I spent almost 1.5hrs just walking thru all the displays.. truly amazing..

Hmm... ok. My exp was dated 3 yrs back so yours should be more correct then. I felt so cheated then...and I actually had to plan that in between dinner at Gurney Drive and night market at Batu Ferringhi

They have a toy museum? cool ! i'm so going there. Btw any idea what the entrance fees are like? Much thanks :D

↡ Advertisement