To Stop or Speed Up at Yellow Light

Saviourwu

How many times has a traffic light turned yellow as you approach an intersection, and you are uncertain if you can make the light or not? To speed or slam brake?

What is really our best choice? hur.gif

Timings of yellow light are different at each junction, i've experienced some as short as 2 seconds, once yellow come out, it will jump to red on next blink. Kinda stressful whenever passing a green light that has been on for quite some time. I prefer seeing a red light that is on for very long. And as i reach, it will turn green laugh.gif

Will it be better to have those LED timing indicators for cars (like in some countries), showing how long before the light will turn red? Maybe we can petition for them tongue.gif

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

They tried those countdown timer before but find it not helpful..

On the amber light note, when u r in such circumstances, most likely you are above speed limit already ... most of time if moving within speed limit, you won't have to make such a tough decision but some traffic light is a pain in the ars...

Timer only fitted in countries where their cars does not require them to be inspected yearly so they can mod down to the nuts and prepare for race when the timer countdown to green light. Or see who can be faster to cross a timer counting down to red light.. [laugh] [laugh]

I thought this is taught in driving lessons?

Before every traffic light junction there are 3 arrows within each lane. Should you cross the 2nd arrow as the lights turn yellow, you are safe to clear the crossing; else you should just brake.

Twincharged

Before every traffic light junction there are 3 arrows within each lane. Should you cross the 2nd arrow as the lights turn yellow, you are safe to clear the crossing; else you should just brake.

This works only if u are not speeding. Most people will be speeding when there are traffic lights. Most roads that have lots of traffic lights the speed limit most likely 50 or 60 only ma.

This works only if u are not speeding. Most people will be speeding when there are traffic lights. Most roads that have lots of traffic lights the speed limit most likely 50 or 60 only ma.

that's oxymoron ain't it? [rolleyes]

How many times has a traffic light turned yellow as you approach an intersection, and you are uncertain if you can make the light or not? To speed or slam brake?

What is really our best choice? [hur]

Timings of yellow light are different at each junction, i've experienced some as short as 2 seconds, once yellow come out, it will jump to red on next blink. Kinda stressful whenever passing a green light that has been on for quite some time. I prefer seeing a red light that is on for very long. And as i reach, it will turn green [laugh]

Will it be better to have those LED timing indicators for cars (like in some countries), showing how long before the light will turn red? Maybe we can petition for them [:p]

just go if you are at the last arrow on the road, there is always 3 arrows before lights if ur car powerful enough 2 arrows also can chiong through. If not 2 arrow or more can brake

conditions before to make decision to speed up

1) look out for red light camera with a quick view (normally understand your route well etc like )

2) look out for any TP camping there

if condition 1 & 2 exisit, better stop before 12 points gone with $$$ too.

Supercharged

Thanks for the refresher. Uncle like me passed TP >20years ago. Memory faded..

Or maybe last time TP no topic about traffic light. [laugh]

Haha i agree with u only works on certain occasion..

There are too many factors affecting this issue. Your speed, your judgment, awareness(of red light cams), your reaction time. If you have to ask, you are still quite new at driving.

Neutral Newbie

3 arrows - stop

2 arrows - see behind traffic and red light cam and decide, 80% go ahead

1 arrow - go ahead, too dangerous to stop

got this from mcf long time back. (2007)

If u obeserve, there's always 3 arrows before a traffic light. Ever wonder what are these for? At times you may even see worker re-adjusting the position of these arrow. they are use especially when light is AMBER! Let me explain.

...............................................................................|

|....||

.........====>..................====>...............====>.......||....||

...............1.........................2......................3............||.

...||

.............................................................stop line (traffic junction)

Direction of approach-->

If Light is Amber and you are between arrow 3 and stop line, please proceed to pass.

If Light is Amber and you are between arrow 2 & 3, please check yr rear view mirror and see if it is safe to brake and stop. If not speed up and pass.

If light is Amber and you are between 1 & 2, DO brake and stop. Here if u still continue trying to pass (most likely Red light now) u risk the Red Light Camera (If any).

Above are applied if you are travelling at the road speed limit. I been driving 15 years now and I stay to this rule. Especially helpful to new driver who are undecisive near road junction. May save yr 12 demerit point and make you a better driver.

Do try and feedback.

have since reposted it to : http://www.celicasg.org/index.php/topic,559.0.html

pretty useful n practical.

↡ Advertisement