To Stop or Speed Up at Yellow Light

Saviourwu

Neutral Newbie

Why would your behavioural pattern be dependent on which country you're in?

^_^

the last thing i would want in such situation is people looting my car while i am in action

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

POSTED: Monday, Sep. 27, 2010

Studies show traffic cameras cause accidents

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010/09/27...eras-cause.html

Installing red light cameras in Bellingham will actually increase accidents.

Numerous studies from universities, transportation departments, city audits and newspapers have concluded that red light cameras in cities lead to increased accidents. The real goal is to raise money, not safety.

The Virginia DOT in 2007 found that cameras led to a 29 percent increase in accidents. The Washington Post in 2005 found that crashes at intersections in D.C. with cameras doubled since the cameras had been installed. A North Carolina A&T University study in 2004 also found that cameras increased accidents.

All sorts of accidents increase, not just rear end collisions.

What can increase safety? According to the Texas Transportation Institute, extending the yellow light by one second leads to 40 percent fewer crashes. But cities, including Seattle, Dallas, Nashville and others decrease the yellow light time to increase revenue.

These cameras led to more accidents, more injuries, and less safety.

Furthermore, these fines go against the principle of innocent until proven guilty. Though cameras will not show who is driving, the registered owners will have to swear in court that they weren't driving, instead of the police having to prove they were.

just to share my experience, i was in malaysia yesterday, while driving towards multi junction the amber light turn on and i know the timing for it will be very short plus some traffic police was there i did an emergency brake ( the distance is appox 5-8 meters from my car to the white line my driving speed was less than 30km/hr. there is another singapore registered vios horned me from behind. and when i stopped my car the driver came out and confornted me asking why did i do an emergency brake, i told him the amber light is due to turn red and if i were to speed up i would be caught for beating the red light. he shouted he is driving behind me therefore i should not brake , at this instance his wife joined in the argument and keep repeating his statment that i should just beat the red light. i nstead of endangering their life. i replied to them asking where is his safety distance. seeing he cannot out talk any reason he challenged me to a fight. yes he asked me to get out of the car and fight with him i just wind up my window and drove on when it turns green he did not even bother to give a chase. yes it was an indian driver.

Now i would like the blue vios drive to come and meet me to have a fist fight here in singapore.

Unlucky for u to kenna this crazy bugger....nobody should expect their safety to depend on the car in front [shakehead] , becos the most important aspect of safe driving is to MAINTAIN A SAFETY DISTANCE.

Well, i have encountered several ppl whom E-brake upon seeing the amber light (With Red Light camera)

However, IMO as they are already at the last arrow, they should just proceed

[:)]

Yap i saw before too. a civic did a e brake when he saw the lights turning amber at the last arrow. But the truck behind thinking to chiong pass the amber and speed up. Rear ended the civic which was less than a month old.

just to share my experience, i was in malaysia yesterday, while driving towards multi junction the amber light turn on and i know the timing for it will be very short plus some traffic police was there i did an emergency brake ( the distance is appox 5-8 meters from my car to the white line my driving speed was less than 30km/hr. there is another singapore registered vios horned me from behind. and when i stopped my car the driver came out and confornted me asking why did i do an emergency brake, i told him the amber light is due to turn red and if i were to speed up i would be caught for beating the red light. he shouted he is driving behind me therefore i should not brake , at this instance his wife joined in the argument and keep repeating his statment that i should just beat the red light. i nstead of endangering their life. i replied to them asking where is his safety distance. seeing he cannot out talk any reason he challenged me to a fight. yes he asked me to get out of the car and fight with him i just wind up my window and drove on when it turns green he did not even bother to give a chase. yes it was an indian driver.

Now i would like the blue vios drive to come and meet me to have a fist fight here in singapore.

I always hope that fellow SG drivers would be more helpful and patient towards each other, especially in Malaysia.

Based on the above account, I find the SG vios driver [and his wife] are big bullies. Maybe they are malaysian with SG PR and drive SG car, so they are on their "own land" and want to bully other SG drivers. I can't find other reason for their behavior, and furthermore MY TP are nearby.

How many times has a traffic light turned yellow as you approach an intersection, and you are uncertain if you can make the light or not? To speed or slam brake?

What is really our best choice? [hur]

Timings of yellow light are different at each junction, i've experienced some as short as 2 seconds, once yellow come out, it will jump to red on next blink. Kinda stressful whenever passing a green light that has been on for quite some time. I prefer seeing a red light that is on for very long. And as i reach, it will turn green [laugh]

Will it be better to have those LED timing indicators for cars (like in some countries), showing how long before the light will turn red? Maybe we can petition for them [:p]

All u need to technically do to avoid getting summon is to pass the white line on ur side of the junction before the red light come on. So even if u are in the middle of the junction @ red light, there's no penalties [laugh]

Also dont worry too much if there's no cameras [;)]

Edited by Ceecookie

it's the same theory for me, 2 arrow stop rule as i had mentioned earlier.

To put more clarity on this, it should be when you on the 3rd arrow from the traffic stop line, you stop. When you are on the 2nd arrow from the traffic stop line, you speed up.

So when i see 2 arrows in front of me when turning amber, i should be on the 3rd arrow, then i need to stop - the 2 arrow stop rule.

eh... so when you see 2 arrows you stop? see only 1 arrow, no matter how far in front it is, you speed up? [hur]

Neutral Newbie

I thought this is taught in driving lessons?

Before every traffic light junction there are 3 arrows within each lane. Should you cross the 2nd arrow as the lights turn yellow, you are safe to clear the crossing; else you should just brake.

I was taught this.

I practiced this till one day i got fined for beating red light.

Appeal to LTA.

Appeal rejected. LTA doesnt have this rule in their rulebook.

Now i just brake and stop.

Someone bang you from the back?

Claim insurance.

Same applies for the mandatory give way to bus boxes. Stop for the bus exiting the bus bay if you have to, or you be fined.

Someone bang you from the back? (for this case i suggest taking photo evidence that you stopped at the mandatory give way to bus box.)

Claim insurance.

Neutral Newbie

eh... so when you see 2 arrows you stop? see only 1 arrow, no matter how far in front it is, you speed up? [hur]

the arrows are spaced equally apart. You should minimum get one arrow just before the stop line.

Other Countries: Oh left 5 seconds. CMI. Lets slow down.

Singapore: f--k LEFT 5 SECONDS. CHIONG AH!!!!!

my fren in california counted b4 the time taken fr the amber light showing up until it becomes red, n he said tat it was more than 10 seconds in the city tat he lives in !!

I was taught this.

I practiced this till one day i got fined for beating red light.

Appeal to LTA.

Appeal rejected. LTA doesnt have this rule in their rulebook.

Now i just brake and stop.

Someone bang you from the back?

Claim insurance.

Same applies for the mandatory give way to bus boxes. Stop for the bus exiting the bus bay if you have to, or you be fined.

Someone bang you from the back? (for this case i suggest taking photo evidence that you stopped at the mandatory give way to bus box.)

Claim insurance.

so what's your technique when you approaching stale green light that was on for very long? Just slam e-brake and claim insurance when it turns yellow? [hur]

Twincharged

so what's your technique when you approaching stale green light that was on for very long? Just slam e-brake and claim insurance when it turns yellow? [hur]

If feel like changing to new bumper then do that lo.

Neutral Newbie

B4 2nd arrow furthest to stop line, just stop unless your speed is less than 60kmp.

Once u passed the 2nd arrow, just increase speed and u will pass thru it.

Mmm... by the way, if no traffic cam at red lights, what are the chances of TP hanging around the traffic lights to catch speeding? or TP only go catch general speeding and parking by road? [hur]

Several techniques.

1. Look at pedestrian lights. If solid green, no problems. If blinking green then must prepare. If red, its likely to change soon.

2. As usual, slow down if you are not certain. Don't go at 80KM/H and then jam brakes at the last moment.

3. Look around you. Safe to brake etc? I also check mirrors if I know I may have to brake hard (unless emergency then never). Give light taps on the brake to indicate you are slowing down. Thus the guy behind you knows you are slowing down. Do just jam brakes at last moment.

Must practice defensive driving and anticipate. Then you won't be caught by surprise.

↡ Advertisement