Direct Asia Insurance

Picanto

Wow, if DAI is voiding the self claims, damaging GOV property in road accident is big time.

It is going to be very costly. Better seek for leniency to LTA

↡ Advertisement

Dear DirectAsia,

I was actively checking out this thread (car insurance due) and my friend whom was your client had a accident.

Long story short car skidded due to oil stain, verified by EMAS, hit railing and didn't hit any cars.

The car is under his father name, he is not named as the named driver, he is 28yrs of age with more then 5 years of driving experience.

Currently he got news that because he wasn't the named driver, DA is voiding his insurance.

Is there anything that you can do to help my friend out?

Warmest Regards

Thank you for this post. For the sake of the motoring public who are existing and potential clients of DA, it will be good to know DA's position / explanation for such decision (preferably within this thread too).

Dear DirectAsia,

I was actively checking out this thread (car insurance due) and my friend whom was your client had a accident.

Long story short car skidded due to oil stain, verified by EMAS, hit railing and didn't hit any cars.

The car is under his father name, he is not named as the named driver, he is 28yrs of age with more then 5 years of driving experience.

Currently he got news that because he wasn't the named driver, DA is voiding his insurance.

Is there anything that you can do to help my friend out?

Warmest Regards

I think your friend is really screwed this time. There is a clause in DA insurance policy:

Important note: The policy does NOT cover drivers below the age of 30 and/or drivers with less than 2 years driving experience unless they are named in the policy.

I think your friend is really screwed this time. There is a clause in DA insurance policy:

Important note: The policy does NOT cover drivers below the age of 30 and/or drivers with less than 2 years driving experience unless they are named in the policy.

thanks for your help, will ask my friend to check out this contract...

cheers!

Hope this clause is made known clearly to customers..... cuz means the guy drive without insurance

Dai sure bring something different to the industry

ok friend replied, he went thru the contract a couple of times until he sian already, he says no such clauses on the contract leh.

waiting for DA's reply!

Taken from DA website. Before you even proceed to purchase the insurance.

Good luck to your friend. Confirm screwed !!!

post-5639-1334401895_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mahjong74

Hope this clause is made known clearly to customers..... cuz means the guy drive without insurance

Dai sure bring something different to the industry

Yes, this clause is make known clearly even before one proceed with the online purchase

of the insurance.

Yes, this clause is make known clearly even before one proceed with the online purchase

of the insurance.

I was using their quote last week.... and I had no impression of this clause till you posted the pic.

For something so important, I feel it is not obvious enough. In fact this clause is stated only after the named n young driver part.

For those cars own by parents, that part is not important to them. And they may overlooked

of the insurance.

thanks for your input on this, interestingly his certificate of insurance doesn't have this clauses written on it... does he have a case?

thanks for your input on this, interestingly his certificate of insurance doesn't have this clauses written on it... does he have a case?

Welcome. Can try to appeal to DA although chances very very slim.

How much is the damages?

Btw, I have never purchase DA or Aviva insurance before and will NEVER buy from them.

Not really that cheap. Few others like MSIG, ACE, HSBC quoted me cheaper than DA and Aviva.

Edited by Mahjong74

Welcome. Can try to appeal to DA although chances very very slim.

How much is the damages?

Btw, I have never purchase DA or Aviva insurance before and will NEVER buy from them.

Not really that cheap. Few others like MSIG, ACE, HSBC quoted me cheaper than DA and Aviva.

you're lucky! so far only OAC quoted me cheaper... was thinking very hard about DA and that's how i stumbled across this thread.

with my younger sister driving my car around at night when she goes gai gai, i am surely not going with DA.

and my friend kena this issue with DA, felt so sorry for him.

repair works quoted in the region of 10k-15k.

Vehicle I use was once insured with DA and indeed there was such a clause in the Policy Schedule as well as in the Certificate of Insurance i.e. Young and inexperience driver(s) clause.

Ask you friend to read again under the following columns:

Policy Schedule: 2nd column under driver's details

Young and inexperience driver(s) clause. Important Note: The policy then was for drivers below the age of 25 and drivers with less than 2 years experience. (Policy year 2010-2011).

Perhaps, they have increased the young driver's age to below 30 now?

Hence, I doubt DA motor insurance is worthy of support or recommendation. Cover with DA was only for 1 year since their renewal offer was more expensive than AXA. What was disappointing was that there was no incident whatsoever during the policy year and therefore, it was baffling that DA should increase rather than decrease the renewal premium. Anyway, it was a blessing in disguise and the terms and conditions provided by AXA was far more superior and peaceful to the mind besides the cheaper premium.

Further, AXA does not have such kiasu clause and I don't think kiasu exclusion clauses like DA's is common with the more established motor insurance companies.

Perhaps you and your friend should get quotes from, and make a thorough comparison between DA and the more established insurance companies before deciding if DA truly offer the best deal OR A RAW DEAL.

Good luck in your search for an insurer worthy of you patronage.

Edited by Neutralsg

Vehicle I use was once insured with DA and indeed there was such a clause in the Policy Schedule as well as in the Certificate of Insurance i.e. Young and inexperience driver(s) clause.

Ask you friend to read again under the following columns:

Policy Schedule: 2nd column under driver's details

Young and inexperience driver(s) clause. Important Note: The policy then was for drivers below the age of 25 and drivers with less than 2 years experience. (Policy year 2010-2011).

Perhaps, they have increased the young driver's age to below 30 now?

Hence, I doubt DA motor insurance is worthy of support or recommendation. Cover with DA was only for 1 year since their renewal offer was more expensive than AXA. What was disappointing was that there was no incident whatsoever during the policy year and therefore, it was baffling that DA should increase rather than decrease the renewal premium. Anyway, it was a blessing in disguise and the terms and conditions provided by AXA was far more superior and peaceful to the mind besides the cheaper premium.

Further, AXA does not have such kiasu clause and I don't think kiasu exclusion clauses like DA's is common with the more established motor insurance companies.

Perhaps you and your friend should get quotes from, and make a thorough comparison between DA and the more established insurance companies before deciding if DA truly offer the best deal OR A RAW DEAL.

Good luck in your search for an insurer worthy of you patronage.

Many thanks. I have no idea DA so lousy [laugh]

Got to be very careful and read every damn thing before buying!

It is good that you can customize the policy.

I got a quote from them with optional personal accident and loss of use coverage. I almost bought the policy. When I called to confirm, I was told that if i buy the policy for Private use, I can only have 5 times per year to use the car for work, e.g. meeting. and that I have to email them before the trip! Other than that, my coverage is only from home to work, park there. Go for lunch and back and then go home...

If I were to use the car for personal and work, I have to buy business policy, which costs extra premium!

So, what did I do?

I ditched them!

Many thanks for sharing this critical point

Thanks for answering on my behalf!

Please read!

1. Private use: You are only using your car in the course of your private life and for leisure. You are not using your car to go to your workplace or to any professional appointment. However, you might be using your car to send your children to school daily or any other daily routine which is not work related.

2. Private use and commuting to work: On top of the private usage, you are also using your car to go to and from your office. You might use your car during lunch time even to meet with business partner. However, you are not using your car to go to and from business appointment during your work/office hour.

3. Private and business use: On top of the private and commute usage, you are also using your car for and during the course of your work.

4. Off Peak Car: You drive a car with a red plate registration in Singapore. We impose no restriction on usage.

However, as part of your DirectAsia.com privilege, we allow you to use your car outside of your declared usage 5 times per year. The only condition we impose on you is that you must inform us by email or writing prior to that usage. You can send your email at [email protected]

If your car is involved in an accident and your car was at the time of the accident being used for a purpose other than the notified usage, you will be required to pay an additional excess amount of S$1,500 for any type of claim.

Reading the fine print is important. In this case, it was good that the rep told me the conditions! At least I am aware now! If not, when it comes to claims, the issue will surface!

nb they don't insure COE vehicles!

Many thanks. Its worse than OPC [laugh]

↡ Advertisement