Gearbox issues; and problems at VW Service Centre

Presea

Any issues with the 1.4 twin-charged engine itself? I am eyeing the 1.4 but manual. Is that farnee? :D

So far no problem with mine....can even eat Maserati GT for lunch....but don't think got manuel in singapore ley....

↡ Advertisement

Compared to today's prices, what I paid for our Passat was a lot closer to the Japanese brands back in 2008. In fact, it was cheaper than our original first choice (Mazda CX7) and 3rd choice (Ford Mondeo), both going for 120k then.

Why I'm still somewhat happy with my VW car

Other than a couple of batteries (once every 20 months or so), and some water & fuel pump replacements in the past year (after 3 year warranty), everything else actually works very well. Nothing electronic had ever failed (and there is a host of electronic "this" and auto "that") At idle, I can barely feel the engine vibration (can't say the same about my previous 2.0 Civic after just 6 months). There isn't even any creaking or groaning between the internal plastics and bodyshell of the car, and we're already approaching 100,000km.

That is why the gearbox is a niggling issue for me.

As I am one of the first 1.8TFSI Passat owners in Singapore, and with our rather high mileage, we know that they haven't had much experience dealing with this sort of thing (previous Passats had less Torque) and are also coming to grips with the DSG fiasco of later cars.

All I want for them is to acknowledge that the "no service requried" stance on the automatic transmission is a mistake and to make amends for that.

If not, I'm probably going on a witch hunt and gathering all the Passat owners who are encountering the same issue and get VW SG to do what VW USA did, which was to extend their warranty on the very same gearbox to 7 years/100,000 miles.

Got two VWs at home. Scirocco '10 and Jetta latest model. Both using 7speed DSG. No issues so far with gearbox or engines.

My complaints with VW service centre is with regards to its long service appt time. Book today can mean service in march or april.

They have plans to open another service centre this year in Kakit bukit/ubi area to cope with more vw cars nowadays. Hope it's up soon.

I am having cold feet with DSG now.

Actually if within warranty, no worries la, it's 3 years, so you can buy brand new and drive 3 years, sometimes they give you a polo to drive as a courtesy car.....if you buy one that is out of warranty also just a $2800 worry to change the MU la, I asked leow, the gearbox should not easily fail, it's the MU that is prone to failure....so just set aside $2800 for it....

and seriously I buy a VW for the DSG and the Twin Charge....if not no point buying a VW...

Got two VWs at home. Scirocco '10 and Jetta latest model. Both using 7speed DSG. No issues so far with gearbox or engines.

My complaints with VW service centre is with regards to its long service appt time. Book today can mean service in march or april.

They have plans to open another service centre this year in Kakit bukit/ubi area to cope with more vw cars nowadays. Hope it's up soon.

I heard it's next to Eurohaus? is it true?

actually i have contis like audi & vw in my radar when my coe eventually expires.. now looking at all these... [sweatdrop]

for my current car, other than wear/tear issues, i have nearly zero defect after 5-6yrs (except for that cruise control that i never use).

so.. would a merc be a better option instead? bmw is still not there in the reliability past 5yrs right?

Edited by Solar

actually i have contis like audi & vw in my radar when my coe eventually expires.. now looking at all these... [sweatdrop]

other than wear/tear issues, i have nearly zero defect after 5-6yrs (except for that cruise control that i never use).

so.. would a merc be a better option instead? bmw is still not there in the reliability past 5yrs right?

depends on your luck lah....all my BMWs to date, have been pretty much bulet proof.......look after her and she will serve u well [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

My TFSI engine need servicing only every 30K, wonder why the big differences.

Euro factory recommend oil change every 30k, but due to our local climate.. they half it that's why Singapore contis service at every 15k.

As for what lifetime means... someone told me before lifetime equals to the factory warranty which is 3yrs or 80k/100k.. Not literally the car lifetime or the gearbox lifetime.

1 out of every 10 cars sold in S'pore in 2011 was a VW.

But it seems like the agent did not expand their workshop to cope with the increased after sales service demand.

My friend who owns a Passat told me the 7 speed DSG is problematic. The gears get stuck and cannot engage or move up to the next higher gear.

Korean cars seem less problematic. Of course, the good old trusted Japanese make is still most reliable, but the Asia assembled models are lacking in finishing.

this is their marketing liner...BUT there are so many other brand too and maybe sell more than them in every 10 cars

Someone open a VW specialize workshop in Singapore sure make lots of money one!

On topic, I cannot understand the problem VW have in Singapore. You do not become one of the best selling brand in the world, & #1 car in Europe if you have so many issues.

20 years old golfs are still pretty common sight in Germany. In Germany, if you want a no fuss car, you get a golf.

My collegue DSG equip passat also no issue, despite the weather currently.

Maybe the DSG is just not quite suit for Tropical climate? But then, there is always manual.

Most european buyers drive manual, so dsg dun apply.

depends on your luck lah....all my BMWs to date, have been pretty much bulet proof.......look after her and she will serve u well [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

The background of BMW owners tend to be quite different too. So the high running cost is acceptable for most of them. But selling VW dsg to mainstream toyo Nissan type owners is just giving them the unexpected high running costs. Unfortunately many dun tink long term n hence kena burn later.

Was told for VW make cars.. it is the turbo that is causing engine oil "consumption".. any engineering truth to that?

touchwood but my jap colt + turbo not lidat...

There is a BIG difference between the 70-80's VWs (e.g. Golf Mk1&2) ... they were super reliable and built like tanks then. VW's quality had started to decline even before the disappointing DSG saga - actually from the Golf Mk3 onwards in early 90's. from then on, it was downhill all the way. In the name of cost cutting and applying new technology, I suppose.

But truth be told that VW actually does offer other g/b options like manual and Tiptronic A/T - which are far more reliable, tried and tested decades long. Only thing though is VCS just refuses to bring in these alternatives - preferring to spec all the models with DSG only.

At least PA is more flexible in that they do bring in >3L Audi models in Tiptronic A/T and some of their S models in manual / special order.

If they already know that DSG is unsuitable for our hot and humid tropical weather, then they should ditch it and sell only A/Ts and manuals. I am sure that this re-strategy would garner even more sales, possibly even overtaking BMW and Merc!

i think it's opposite if they sell MT. mayb they should conduct a survey before taking this step.

Most european buyers drive manual, so dsg dun apply.

I cannot speak for VW, but I am driving a manual Audi. The gearbox is the best (by a distant as well) of all the other cars I have driven. It shift like butter (unless you jump gears, but that is the case with all manual).

I think VW manual should be similar.

I cannot understand why manual its not offer in Sunny Singapore. Maybe we are like Americans, where the fairer gender in general have problem driving manual.

Its only stubborn when the weather is too cold & the car is left for days, then it get a little stubborn, but once warm up, its ok.

My only complain is the poor design (IMO) of the reverse gear, which you can accidentally engage the first gear.

I cannot speak for VW, but I am driving a manual Audi. The gearbox is the best (by a distant as well) of all the other cars I have driven. It shift like butter (unless you jump gears, but that is the case with all manual).

I think VW manual should be similar.

I cannot understand why manual its not offer in Sunny Singapore. Maybe we are like Americans, where the fairer gender in general have problem driving manual.

Its only stubborn when the weather is too cold & the car is left for days, then it get a little stubborn, but once warm up, its ok.

My only complain is the poor design (IMO) of the reverse gear, which you can accidentally engage the first gear.

I still prefer the good old trusty manual gearbox. [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement