Gearbox issues; and problems at VW Service Centre

Presea

I have a feeling that hybrid is the way to go.

Too much reliance on engineering of petrol engines & gearboxes these days.

There is nothing more that can be done beyond turbocharging and supercharging.

Hybrid = instant torque, single planetary gear, fewer moving parts.

I am going BACK to a hybrid when I'm tired of my turbo and dual-clutch setup.

Not a good combination for our jams and traffic lights.

Poor at low speeds and consumes pricey fuel.

↡ Advertisement

VW will open new service centre at MacPherson area (ex-Mazda showroom) soon. If you have to buy VW and have concerns over reliability, buy upwards of 2.0L with 6 DSG.

Turbocharged

VW will open new service centre at MacPherson area (ex-Mazda showroom) soon. If you have to buy VW and have concerns over reliability, buy upwards of 2.0L with 6 DSG.

Agree. The 6 speed wet dsg is very robust. I have mention a few times in this forum warning people not to touch the 7 speed dry dsg. If really want to go for it, make sure don't mod anything esp the ecu.

The 6 speed DSG is less problematic. I have been driving a Caddy TDI with 6 speed DSG for 4 and a half years, and so far so good. Did a DSG oil change at 40000km though. Now it's 60000+km.

Turbocharged

but does the 6 dsg has juddering problem when changing gears?

There are owners who have problem with the 6 speed dsg too but its very rare. I only hear of 2 cases personally. mine is coming to 45k and still very punchy and i really wack my car to the fullest whenever i can. Just make sure you do the necessary oil change.

the acid test is at 120k and ultimately at 200k [drivingcar]

It's a great bonus if one can get to 120k and then have gearbox issues for these kinds of systems.

There are owners who have problem with the 6 speed dsg too but its very rare. I only hear of 2 cases personally. mine is coming to 45k and still very punchy and i really wack my car to the fullest whenever i can. Just make sure you do the necessary oil change.

Just note the problems will eventually come, it's just a question of when. If its 100k or so, it's decent. Point is jus b prepared to pay wen it comes down to it.

Turbocharged

Just note the problems will eventually come, it's just a question of when. If its 100k or so, it's decent. Point is jus b prepared to pay wen it comes down to it.

Again,four of my personal friends 6 speed dsg has more than 100k on the odometers. One of them has hit close to 200k and his ride is the most heavily modded. So far, their gb still going strong. But the wear and tear is much higher which is expected.

Just change the DSG oil and filter every 40K and hopefully it will be good. The recommended mileage is every 80K which I find it's too long.

Neutral Newbie

Did any of you guys use VAG Singapore before? They run a volkswagen service centre at Toh Guan and are supposed to be specialized in Audi and Volkswagen repair. Here's their website: www.vag.sg. Looks quite slick.

Edited by Raudie

VAG actually do more Audi than VW and its more costly to service there. I have been using a workshop at Sin Ming Autocare called Servotronic for the past 3 years since my warranty expired. Prices very reasonable and they have the latest diagnostic software. What I especially like is the fact that the boss open his workshop to just fix my car radiator hose on a Sunday, that is something VCS can never do for me. Anyway, the thing that pushed me to look for other workshops is the fact that VCS told me my car is old no need to bring back to agent (this was in 2009).

VAG actually do more Audi than VW and its more costly to service there. I have been using a workshop at Sin Ming Autocare called Servotronic for the past 3 years since my warranty expired. Prices very reasonable and they have the latest diagnostic software. What I especially like is the fact that the boss open his workshop to just fix my car radiator hose on a Sunday, that is something VCS can never do for me. Anyway, the thing that pushed me to look for other workshops is the fact that VCS told me my car is old no need to bring back to agent (this was in 2009).

Their biz must b too gd to be able to say dat; other ad hope u svc w them till u scrap ur car.

Again,four of my personal friends 6 speed dsg has more than 100k on the odometers. One of them has hit close to 200k and his ride is the most heavily modded. So far, their gb still going strong. But the wear and tear is much higher which is expected.

With oil changes, gearbox should last longer, but clutch wear is inevitable. So for the uninformed , especially mainstream jap car converts, they may be in for a shock when the bill comes

Thumbs up for Servo, both Philip and Dennis.....

They went the extra mile. [thumbsup]

There is a discussion going on at VAGSG.

VW just released a new redesigned clutch pack in Jan 2012 which is able to solve the problem.

Owners with juddering issues will be getting this new part.

Will have to wait for a few months before we know if it works ...

Neutral Newbie

Lots of people buy VW cos they have never tried VW and seemed worth it at current COE and also long warranty offered vs the likes of BMW, MErc or Audi. But chances are higher it seemed from many VW forums - small or big problem will appear in the 1st or 2nd year, go back to workshop = lost use of car for long time. Free repair but no car to use.....VW is consider bread and butter car, like toyota, but reliability wise, not on par. Its up to the individual.........Borneo motors has a few workshops here, and many outside small workshops can service toyotas/honda with genuine parts.

There will be lots of VW on the second hand market soon...., got a friend who buy BMW 3 series SDW plate and vow to not buy anymore as engine eat oil - 1 lit of engine oil every 2500 km!!! who dare to service every 15000 km??, want to find out where the problem is but charged big money for diagnosis, changed gaskets etc. Like most people, he used to drive japanese..... I told him cannot compare but he enjoys more compared to Nissan or Toyota.

Mentality has to change, pocket has to be deeper to enjoy continental. Otherwise, sell.

You sound as though Conti car is the biggest con job in the car industry ! Not reliable yet expensive !

↡ Advertisement