Japan earthquake: A Dog's loyalty

Wishcumstrue

[smallcry]

tugged my heartstrings..

no good to be watching this in the office.. [smallcry]

me too... eyes all red... colleagues thought what happened....

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

You are using the human yardstick to determine how "smart" the dog is. Even for humans, there are different measures for the young and adults, we say how "smart" a baby is, but does that baby necessarily know how to "run away from [a] dangerous zone"? There is no absolute measure of how "smart" a living thing is.

I like the phrase "no absolute measure"..there is no absolute way to say what the dog did is being "smart".

I rather based on a basic-instinct that we all share with all living creatures: Fight or flight.

We WILL run in this given situation. But to stay with a fallen being...that goes beyond the spectrum of "smart" which we usually apply as a measure of "intelligence".

Eg. Let's say that dog die if it wasn't discovered or another tsunami came. It too will be killed. If we know about this, we may judge it as "stupid"....another end of the yardstick we maybe using, correct?

That is why I avoid using this "smart" word....it is too-human to be applied in the dog's behavior and preferring to call it "instinct", for lack of better word..

Edited by Wishcumstrue

Turbocharged

A similar story last week on a dog handler and his dog killed during their patrols in Afghanistan....

If I cant get a suitable wife the next few years..perhaps a dog as a jogging mate will do better, like Will Smith and his in I am Legend. [thumbsup]

Cats are very dis royal...got food they come no food they run away..unlike dog stay wif u no matter wad..

don't like that say..

instead, use the word "independent".

cats are more independent. ... and anti-social.. [laugh]

This stray cat was filmed in Turkey trying to reanimate his female friend who got hit by a car. Even though some people tried to help him, the white cat wouldn't let them come near for two straight hours. Finally a vet arrived and took the injured cat. Sadly, it was too late and he couldnt resuscitate the feline.

Cats also have feelings ok?

Edited by Ahtong

IMO, "smart" isn't the right word to describe the dog's behavior.

If it is "smart", then it would have run away from such dangerous zone, let alone stay put for so long....over 4 days.. from 11~15 Mar.

I'd rather call it "instinct" of care-giving, which we Human, somehow, begins to loose due ironically, cold Intelligence.

For those who managed to view the complete clip (its on youtube), the dog was wet, shivering and apparently lost and frighten.

I imagine these conditions for a moment and still cannot fathom a dog is capable such powerful instint which we call "loyalty".

Would you stay with an injured one after the entire place got swept by repeated tsunami at near-freezing temp, hungry, scared and the constantly getting after-shock tremors all around you?

I supposed only animals, not Human, can understand this.

If only all lovers are like 'Titanic' that couple. [bigcry] [bigcry]

This stray cat was filmed in Turkey trying to reanimate his female friend who got hit by a car. Even though some people tried to help him, the white cat wouldn't let them come near for two straight hours. Finally a vet arrived and took the injured cat. Sadly, it was too late and he couldnt resuscitate the feline.

Cats also have feelings ok?

[smallcry]

*sniffs*

Turbocharged

but there's still the usual group of people that view dogs as 'dirty' 'unholy' 'unlucky' and try all means to get rid of them.

not to mention eat them.. [whip]

don't like that say..

instead, use the word "independent".

cats are more independent. ... and anti-social.. [laugh]

Always read stories about dogs saving their human friends in all sorts of things.

But never read any about cats?

I could be wrong. [:p]

white car doing CPR on black injured cat??? [:(] ........this is sad

am really glad Japan dog is alright for now.... ^_^

My commiseration to the people of Japan who lost their love ones in this disaster.... [smallcry]

The cat video is controversial.

Some say it is trying to "CPR" its friend. Others say it is trying to mate not realizing the partner is already dead.

The cat video is controversial.

Some say it is trying to "CPR" its friend. Others say it is trying to mate not realizing the partner is already dead.

Not likely mate lei.

Cos mating male will bite female's neck one.

I have seen before. :D

↡ Advertisement