Malaysian chinese accent

Carer

did u realise that the chinese malaysians speak is different from us?

my china fren says singaporean chinese sounds like taiwanese and also hongkonger

and of course china chinese speak with the 'roll tongue' effect

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Many Malaysians who come to Singapore are either drop-outs or those who did not really study and speak Chinese. The news presenters in Astro are comparable to those from China and Taiwan, and are probably better than some of the best (Singaporeans, for example, huang2 xiu4 ling2?) in MediaCorp.

Edited by Hwt

Many Malaysians who come to Singapore are either drop-outs or those who did not really study and speak Chinese. The news presenters in Astro are comparable to those from China and Taiwan, and are probably better than some of the best (Singaporeans, for example, huang2 xiu4 ling2?) in MediaCorp.

you are wrong.... only those who received proper training (especially news presenter) are able to speak well. The other even if they are graduate will still keep the accent.

Anyway always find the accent uniquely Malaysia :D

Turbocharged

Many Malaysians who come to Singapore are either drop-outs or those who did not really study and speak Chinese. ..

Really? I thought most malaysian (chinese) who come to singapore for tertiary studies are very proficient in chinese lang. Because most of them are excellent students but studied in chinese schools in malaysia. These are usually private institutions, but not supported by their govt, because they teach using chinese lang, and i heard, the syllabus also follows taiwan/china.

As a result, these students cannot proceed to tertiary education in malaysia. Many go on to study in taiwan, or other countries like singapore which recognises their qualification (I think it's called "senior middle... something", correct me if i'm wrong).

very offensive leh.

most of them actually got at least an A-level cert just that home no money to support hence start work early. (dont forget their even more screw up than singapore uni policy for local.)

Got to know a malaysian graduate teaching chinese in sg

In a group chat, some of us expressed irritation at the PRC's and their unruly and uncouth behavioral traits. Suddenly this teacher burst out in anger: "YOUR FATHER NOT 'zhong guo ren' AH? YOU DARE TELL ME YOU NOT 'zhong guo ren'? YOUR GRANDFATHER NOT FROM CHINA AH?"

another friend just said" yah, we are not zhong guo ren. we are singaporean"

a little too extreme, no?

Turbocharged

don't look down on them wor..

many of them can speak many languages (+ dialects)... i know one who can speak Mandarin, English, Malay, Hokkien, Cantonese very well plus a bit of Tamil

not really..

my msian frns are usually top students in local(singapore) schools..

no doubt they can't rid the accent when they speak in mandarin.

Supercharged

very offensive leh.

most of them actually got at least an A-level cert just that home no money to support hence start work early. (dont forget their even more screw up than singapore uni policy for local.)

Not offensive at all. In fact it is the joke to start my day. [laugh]

Perhaps he has very small circle of friends from Malaysia and hence the conclusion.

did u realise that the chinese malaysians speak is different from us?

my china fren says singaporean chinese sounds like taiwanese and also hongkonger

and of course china chinese speak with the 'roll tongue' effect

i think it has to got to do with the inter mixing of the intonations of the different language.

i suspect malaysian have that slang because their other main language is malay. and i don't think malaysian that stayed very long in singpore have that accent. usually comes from those that stayed very long in malaysia and just came singapore for the first few years.

and i also don't agree singaporean chinese like hong konger. quite different. in fact, hong konger english has so much of their cantonese flavored intonations in it.

and malaysian got one favorite chinese phrase or usage.

they liek to use the word

Neutral Newbie

Really? I thought most malaysian (chinese) who come to singapore for tertiary studies are very proficient in chinese lang. Because most of them are excellent students but studied in chinese schools in malaysia. These are usually private institutions, but not supported by their govt, because they teach using chinese lang, and i heard, the syllabus also follows taiwan/china.

As a result, these students cannot proceed to tertiary education in malaysia. Many go on to study in taiwan, or other countries like singapore which recognises their qualification (I think it's called "senior middle... something", correct me if i'm wrong).

If I am not wrong, only a few hundred of those who enter NUS and NTU every year are from Chinese independent schools. The figure I heard a few years ago was 400. The remaining are from national (type) schools which have at most one or two subjects in Chinese throughout the six or seven years of secondary school education.

For the Chinese independent school graduates, about thirty years ago, most of them entered universities in Taiwan. Then a small number entered NUS and NTU twenty years ago. The number has increased to about 400 a year in recent years, I think. In the past one decade or so, there have been quite a lot of private universities and university colleges in Malaysia offering local degree programs. Probably most of the Chinese independent school graduates now enter those schools, while a small number get into universities in China. I graduated about twenty years ago, but am still observing the statistics.

I seldom visit northern Peninsula Malaysia these days, but when I was there a couple of weeks ago, the Chinese (specifically Mandarin) spoken there seems reasonable. The standard in Klang Valley seems okay too, at least for those who care to speak in Chinese (Mandarin). Southern Peninsula Malaysia is supposed to have the biggest influence from Singapore Mandarin TV channels. While there are quite a number of good speakers in the southern part, I find a lot speak miserably. It is the same in Singapore (I am referring to only Malaysians). From Chinese forums for the southern part, I observed that many of them are migrants from other parts who have little educational qualification. It is the same for many who managed to be Singapore residents. The number of bad Chinese (Mandarin) speakers (Malaysians) among the people in southern part and in Singapore seems disproportionately-big.

Edited by Hwt

Hypersonic

I kinda like the malaysia accent. Gives you the down the earth feeling. On the other hand, I hate the China's super sharp pitch which I can't stand.

Got to know a malaysian graduate teaching chinese in sg

In a group chat, some of us expressed irritation at the PRC's and their unruly and uncouth behavioral traits. Suddenly this teacher burst out in anger: "YOUR FATHER NOT 'zhong guo ren' AH? YOU DARE TELL ME YOU NOT 'zhong guo ren'? YOUR GRANDFATHER NOT FROM CHINA AH?"

another friend just said" yah, we are not zhong guo ren. we are singaporean"

a little too extreme, no?

this show how badly their country intergration programme is.

I am Malaysian and my chinese got Malaysian accent. I graduated from NTU. I studied in Malaysia government school during my secondary. Yet my Chinese is still better than most Singaporean. I would say the standard of Chinese in Malaysian government school has higher standard compare to those in Singapore. And pls.. Malaysia Chinese accents has no correlation to Chinese proficiency.

Accents are culture derived. Or even country derived. A lot of ppl like to stereotype the accents in the way ppl speak and hence create some kind of bias judgment but deep down we are no different. Dun make fun of ppl's accent cos they might find it offensive.

As for M'sian Chinese, although their country's education system does not favor them(in fact I find it racially biased) they are more patriotic dan Sgporeans(my opinion).

I am Malaysian and my chinese got Malaysian accent. I graduated from NTU. I studied in Malaysia government school during my secondary. Yet my Chinese is still better than most Singaporean. I would say the standard of Chinese in Malaysian government school has higher standard compare to those in Singapore. And pls.. Malaysia Chinese accents has no correlation to Chinese proficiency.

i do agree singaporean chinese language command is not very good, that's why i not suprised you are better than a lot of singaporeans.

however, i do believe where the masses of chinese speaking residents are concern, singapore are still better. firstly, this is through feedback from malaysians themselves. secondly from logical reasoning that singaporean has much more chance to come into contact with mandarin through tv serials, through enforcement of no dialects in media etc.

singapore market probably have about high percentage of grade b and C in chinese language proficiency while malaysia may have high % in grade A and higher than singapore % in grade D i believe. the reason for the higher % in grade A is because the chinese in malaysia are still exposed to traditional chinese character and those that have interest in CHinese tend to be pro chinese culture. this has immense impact in becoming very good in mandarin.

in singapore, hard to find grade A chinese people because our education system still emphasizes more on english and Chinese are taught using Hanyupinyin (foundation level) and simplified chinese (which loses a lot of the meaning of the chinese words).

Edited by Acemundo

Neutral Newbie

Malaysia Chinese accents has no correlation to Chinese proficiency.

If one is proficient in Chinese, one should not have a terrible "accent"............. I am from qiong2 yao2 days, so I expect spoken Mandarin to match written Chinese............ :) May be I am outdated.

↡ Advertisement