Indonesia : Jakarta, Bogor and Bandung

Genie47

Just got back from a trip to these places.

Jakarta traffic is crazy! Compared to SGers, SGers seem to be more gracious. You give opening in Jakarta, confirm kenna makan and you will never move from that spot! Was glad to be driven around. Was in the Mazda 2 sedan. I must say it is a damn chio car. The presentation setup team followed behind in a Daihatsu Luxio. Very spacious minibus with 1.0, 1.3 and 1.5L versions.

Bogor is pretty boring but the main surprise was Bandung.

Their malls are pretty hip and the fine dining is very affordable. I like the presentation effort into my meals by Javan Bistro at the Paris Van Java mall.

Bandung is home to many, many factory outlet stores which are everywhere. The one thing I got back from Bandung are the brownies! Yep! Brownies! The brand to buy is Kartika Sari. I got the chocolate chip and the mocha versions. Nice real brownies and not "cake brownies". Dense stuff.

In Jakarta I stayed at the Ciputra Hotel which is connected next to a mall which houses a Matahari. Didn't have time to shop much.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Hotel_Review...karta_Java.html

In Bandung, the Aston Primera Pasteur Hotel and Conference

http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Hotel_Review...ndung_Java.html

Rates are very good at these two hotels. Ciputra is not within the city centre which is a godsend for Jakarta. Aston has a great breakfast.

Took off from SG to Jakarta. Then road trip to Bogor, then back to Jakarta. Then to Bandung and fly back to SG from Bandung.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Paris Van Java is actually the name for Bandung given by the colonist a long time back. Not many know that [;)]

It means Paris in Java.

Glad that you enjoyed your trip...

• Praise 2

Just got back from a trip to these places.

Jakarta traffic is crazy! Compared to SGers, SGers seem to be more gracious. You give opening in Jakarta, confirm kenna makan and you will never move from that spot! Was glad to be driven around. Was in the Mazda 2 sedan. I must say it is a damn chio car. The presentation setup team followed behind in a Daihatsu Luxio. Very spacious minibus with 1.0, 1.3 and 1.5L versions.

Bogor is pretty boring but the main surprise was Bandung.

Their malls are pretty hip and the fine dining is very affordable. I like the presentation effort into my meals by Javan Bistro at the Paris Van Java mall.

Bandung is home to many, many factory outlet stores which are everywhere. The one thing I got back from Bandung are the brownies! Yep! Brownies! The brand to buy is Kartika Sari. I got the chocolate chip and the mocha versions. Nice real brownies and not "cake brownies". Dense stuff.

In Jakarta I stayed at the Ciputra Hotel which is connected next to a mall which houses a Matahari. Didn't have time to shop much.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Hotel_Review...karta_Java.html

In Bandung, the Aston Primera Pasteur Hotel and Conference

http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Hotel_Review...ndung_Java.html

Rates are very good at these two hotels. Ciputra is not within the city centre which is a godsend for Jakarta. Aston has a great breakfast.

Took off from SG to Jakarta. Then road trip to Bogor, then back to Jakarta. Then to Bandung and fly back to SG from Bandung.

Same bro. I also stayed @ Ciputra Hotel.. Nice rooms.. The shopping centre not bad.. but it is quite packed..

• Praise 1

Jakarta traffic is crazy. Once a month, i travel to Jakarta for work. I ever got struck in the traffic jam for 4 hours....

• Praise 1

i used to like bandung because of its cool climate.

now, thanks to concrete buildings all around, its just another humid tropical city.

the jams are also getting as bad as jakarta.

but still, the rich fellas flock there. Saw a Ferrari gathering when I was last there early this year.

And all clothing stores are called Factory Outlet :D

there's a good, clean kopitiam-like outdoor eating place near the Hilton, which btw has very good standards and suitable for kids.

You can visit natural attractions like waterfalls, volcano craters etc while there.

• Praise 2

Thinking of going to Bandung for a short family trip. Any advices? Hotels, things to do /eat?

I was there a couple of weeks ago. Prior to that, my previous visit was abt 6 yrs ago, when I used to travel there almost every month for a year +.

as you would prob know already, BDG has nice cooling weather, not as cold as Genting but very comfortable compared to SG.

hotel - I stayed at arion swissbel this time, away fm the main shopping area. Other hotels to consider are novotel and fave. These are closer to the outlet shops. Gumelang in the north is nice too.

things to do: visit the nearby volcano (tangkuban prahu), hot springs in the northern side of BDG, visit Lembang for sate kelinci (rabbit satay) and kopi tebruk (thick local unfiltered kopi). If you are keen on architecture, BDG has a few interesting buildings. See the article below for local spa resorts.

foodwise - normal indo fare. I would suggest to stay away fm the "sio may". It's well known but a far cry from siew mai as we know it. BDG is well known for brownies - visitors from JKT usually buy these as oleh-oleh for friends back home. There's a couple of nice steakhouses in the city area. My old haunt is The Valley They have a hotel too.

oh BDG gets super crowded on weekends due to visitors from JKT. Weekdays are more enjoyable.

u may like to read these

http://www.relax.com.sg/article/features/b...spa-experiences

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/opinion/fro...d-family-happy/

Are you intending to fly there direct fm SG? I have always done it as a road trip from JKT thus have no experience with BDG airport.

• Praise 3

Hmmmm.....airasia fly direct there for $504 for 2A + 2C all in.

Very cheap lei. Even cheaper than flying to KL

Can consider for a short weekend getaway. ^_^

Edited by Hiphiphoray

I was there a couple of weeks ago. Prior to that, my previous visit was abt 6 yrs ago, when I used to travel there almost every month for a year +.

as you would prob know already, BDG has nice cooling weather, not as cold as Genting but very comfortable compared to SG.

hotel - I stayed at arion swissbel this time, away fm the main shopping area. Other hotels to consider are novotel and fave. These are closer to the outlet shops. Gumelang in the north is nice too.

things to do: visit the nearby volcano (tangkuban prahu), hot springs in the northern side of BDG, visit Lembang for sate kelinci (rabbit satay) and kopi tebruk (thick local unfiltered kopi). If you are keen on architecture, BDG has a few interesting buildings. See the article below for local spa resorts.

foodwise - normal indo fare. I would suggest to stay away fm the "sio may". It's well known but a far cry from siew mai as we know it. BDG is well known for brownies - visitors from JKT usually buy these as oleh-oleh for friends back home. There's a couple of nice steakhouses in the city area. My old haunt is The Valley They have a hotel too.

oh BDG gets super crowded on weekends due to visitors from JKT. Weekdays are more enjoyable.

u may like to read these

http://www.relax.com.sg/article/features/b...spa-experiences

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/opinion/fro...d-family-happy/

Are you intending to fly there direct fm SG? I have always done it as a road trip from JKT thus have no experience with BDG airport.

We've yet to make up our mind on the trip. May go during Mar Hols. Would a 4 day 3 night stay be sufficient? Probably one full day for sight-seeing & one for shopping...

• Praise 1

We've yet to make up our mind on the trip. May go during Mar Hols. Would a 4 day 3 night stay be sufficient? Probably one full day for sight-seeing & one for shopping...

yeah 4D3N shld be sufficient.

weather - Mar is just past the peak rainy season I think

I find it ok to be driving in Jakarta leh. Traffic might be slow moving at certain places but much less horning and amazingly it moves :D

depends on which part of JKT and the time...

less horning? compared to? 1st time I hear pple horn when other side turn red, even before my side turn green LOL

btw jkt flooded again [sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement