Original Jap VS Replica Rims

Hoppie24

Found this video while surfing forum, have not use the light weight Replica ones before, is it really true in the video? The replicas i have used are those thick thick ones so far ok leh. But recently traded in for an Advan RS, i wonder if the Advan can perform like the Wedsports.

↡ Advertisement

wow you have just passed a inferior quality rim to next car owner [laugh]

quality always come with price.

So we have to decide you want what type of quality.

Tyre is lot more important than wheels, becuase wheels will fail only you got a hard impact.(as shown in the video)

Tyre can fail anytime when your car in on the move irregardless of speed

Chey, i tot wad....I dun tink got any problem is u drive properly la. The probability dat ur rims will suffer high sideways impact like in the video is pretty low. U would have to be hit by a truck from the side or something like dat. By that time dat happens, u have bigger things to worry abt - like whether YOU survive. Even if u have real Weds and the rims dun crack, ur car would be in a bad state already and prob write off anyway.

actually i have a friend who changed 3 sets of rims on 1.5years ownership of his car, all are Taiwan, dunno if it's coincidence, first set bent on pot hole in 2 months.

second set worst pot hole and the whole piece crack and chip off 6months.

now on third set, recently kerb and now need to do balancing liao above 80 vibrate.

All this while, i was using a set of Advan RZ bought new when i buy the car same time as him, my ride sold when it reach 1.5years old and the rim is as good as new.

Maybe it's the way he drive ba. dunno. cannot comment since i never use lightweight replicas before.

i think i u check the prices, a 17' wedsport chrome rim and a repical lookalike.

the cost is about 3-4 times. u take a normal family car , how many time do u think u will damage the rim so hard?? i think 90 % or most family car, not even 1 time, in any case, if i really damage i just change to another set of repical , i still got excess , lol .

Cracks can happened even for kerb rash.

Chey, i tot wad....I dun tink got any problem is u drive properly la. The probability dat ur rims will suffer high sideways impact like in the video is pretty low. U would have to be hit by a truck from the side or something like dat. By that time dat happens, u have bigger things to worry abt - like whether YOU survive. Even if u have real Weds and the rims dun crack, ur car would be in a bad state already and prob write off anyway.

i think i u check the prices, a 17' wedsport chrome rim and a repical lookalike.

the cost is about 3-4 times. u take a normal family car , how many time do u think u will damage the rim so hard?? i think 90 % or most family car, not even 1 time, in any case, if i really damage i just change to another set of repical , i still got excess , lol .

Ya, that's what my frend says too when i bought my Advan RZ which cost $700/piece.

He broke his within 2months, his was $300/piece then they did not wanna sell his 1 piece, then lan lan buy another design $1.2k again. So total damage $2.4k, then broke again, then pay again total $3.6k.

I paid only $2.8k for the Advan leh. Oh i resale still got value leh, the replicas is almost worthless.

Neutral Newbie

manufacturers spend tons on research, casting processes and advanced alloy compounds but replicas are copied using cheap alternatives as materials... dun think can compare in this manner woa...

good things not cheap, cheap things never good~

Ya, that's what my frend says too when i bought my Advan RZ which cost $700/piece.

He broke his within 2months, his was $300/piece then they did not wanna sell his 1 piece, then lan lan buy another design $1.2k again. So total damage $2.4k, then broke again, then pay again total $3.6k.

I paid only $2.8k for the Advan leh. Oh i resale still got value leh, the replicas is almost worthless.

repical rim resale also have value 1. if u look at the 'right place', and your old rims dun have scatch, in fact if u buy another set of repical rim, can trade in quite alot, your friend rim keep breaking i cannot comment la, but if u look at sg cars on the road, how many % is on stock rims, % on repical rim, % on jap/eu orginal rims ??

infact my uncle conti cars using nice repical chrome rims, we just go stamford, ac rim for bm 5 , 17' orginal 1 pc 1k + repical 200+ , they dun say i see 2 pcs i cannot spot different .

repical rims, like advanti / rm rims / koywa, have been around for ages.

Turbocharged

Most originals are called FORGED RIMS for a reason..

Forged rims are much stronger than simple machined-from-raw-stock rims..

actually i have a friend who changed 3 sets of rims on 1.5years ownership of his car, all are Taiwan, dunno if it's coincidence, first set bent on pot hole in 2 months.

second set worst pot hole and the whole piece crack and chip off 6months.

now on third set, recently kerb and now need to do balancing liao above 80 vibrate.

i using replicas for more than 3yrs liao....no problem....buy real stuff wait kana kerb rash very heartache....replica rims not so heartache....

repical rim resale also have value 1. if u look at the 'right place', and your old rims dun have scatch, in fact if u buy another set of repical rim, can trade in quite alot, your friend rim keep breaking i cannot comment la, but if u look at sg cars on the road, how many % is on stock rims, % on repical rim, % on jap/eu orginal rims ??

infact my uncle conti cars using nice repical chrome rims, we just go stamford, ac rim for bm 5 , 17' orginal 1 pc 1k + repical 200+ , they dun say i see 2 pcs i cannot spot different .

That's the good thing about BMW, you can basically just grab any BMW replica rims off the shelf and the offset is sui sui one because they are made for BMW.

But for Jap cars, if you just get any replicas off the shelf, chances are the offset are +4x which are way too inwards to look nice. To go for the flush looks, either you can install spacers or buy Genuine ones and get the offset that flush nicely. That's the sian part, but for Subaru and the new Honda seems to have eliminate such problem as they are pretty flush with +4x rims. So envy

my IS250 is crazy, my newly bought 2nd hand replicas was use on IS250 running

Front 18 x 8.5 +31

Rear 18 x 9 +29 (GTR Face)

The above offset are damn crazy for the replicas to do as they only fit certain cars and do not fit most :(

That's the good thing about BMW, you can basically just grab any BMW replica rims off the shelf and the offset is sui sui one because they are made for BMW.

But for Jap cars, if you just get any replicas off the shelf, chances are the offset are +4x which are way too inwards to look nice. To go for the flush looks, either you can install spacers or buy Genuine ones and get the offset that flush nicely. That's the sian part, but for Subaru and the new Honda seems to have eliminate such problem as they are pretty flush with +4x rims. So envy

my IS250 is crazy, my newly bought 2nd hand replicas was use on IS250 running

Front 18 x 8.5 +31

Rear 18 x 9 +29 (GTR Face)

The above offset are damn crazy for the replicas to do as they only fit certain cars and do not fit most :(

many Bimmer and mercedes owner can not orgina; that is why big market demand for those euro car haha [bounce2]

Hi Beregong. I dont think Stamford sells replicas anymore.

Sure one may argue that there is absolutely nothing wrong in getting replica rims as long as it makes the car look good. Yeah there's nothing wrong if you're one who is superficial, trivializes life or one who is Penny wise Pound foolish. No offence but I think replica rims(to be diplomatic, i prefer calling them fakes) are just stupid. Firstly it kinda makes one look like a loser who cannot afford original rims. It's similar to people who carry fake LV and Gucci Bags. Why are you paying to purchase something that isn't original? Secondly it may not necessarily fit one's car due to the offset and PCD configuration. What's worse is if the rim has 2 sets of holes for 2 different PCDs. Clearly the extra holes will weaken the hub of the rim which brings me to my third point. It can be detrimental to one's safety because most replica rims are weak because they ain't forged rims. This means that under pressure they may bend or break. This may cause the car to lose control resulting in an accident. Why put a price on your life? Is it really worth it? Cars and Rims can be replaced but a life or a body part simply cannot be replaced. Next, to those who insist on being economical, wouldn't it make more sense to get an original rim that is made to last as compared to a replica rim which won't last long causing you to spend more money replacing the rim (Penny wise Pound foolish)? Refer to quote below.

Hi lambored

When getting first hand rims, any general guidelines to tell replica from original?

Reason I ask is that when put side by side, it is easy to tell but when looked at individually it is difficult to distinguish.

Only way I can think of is to get from reputable shop and act in good faith.

↡ Advertisement