Mazda Biante MPV

Swifter78

Supercharged

Just done the 1000km servicing. Made online booking on Monday for Thursday servicing.

How's the last row of seat ? Comfy?

Is it a 2-2-3 seat figuration?

3 rows of aircon ?

↡ Advertisement

How's the last row of seat ? Comfy?

Is it a 2-2-3 seat figuration?

3 rows of aircon ?

Last row is in fact thicker than the 2nd row. Definitely more comfortable than those mid-size MPVs. All seats can recline backward including the last row.

Seats could be arranged in 2-3-3, or 2-2-3 to allow a walk-through isle. The middle row consisted of 2 individual seats that can be pulled apart to create the isle.

There are 2 aircon vents each for both the 2nd row and last row at the top of the cabin, so cooling not a problem. Rear aircon can be turned off to conserve power if not carrying passengers behind.

post-101253-0-23107900-1398141101_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Heartlander

Supercharged

Last row is in fact thicker than the 2nd row. Definitely more comfortable than those mid-size MPVs. All seats can recline backward including the last row.

Thanks.

What I meant was if an adult sits at the last row, will "his chin be (almost) touching his knee" - that type of seat ?

Thanks.

What I meant was if an adult sits at the last row, will "his chin be (almost) touching his knee" - that type of seat ?

Definitely not. You can see from my attached picture.

Seats could be arranged in 2-3-3, or 2-2-3 to allow a walk-through isle. The middle row consisted of 2 individual seats that can be pulled apart to create the isle.

There are 2 aircon vents each for both the 2nd row and last row at the top of the cabin, so cooling not a problem. Rear aircon can be turned off to conserve power if not carrying passengers behind.

Hi Heartlander,

I am considering mazda mpv 5 efore the release of biante. I kind of like the biante more than M5 but am a bit worried about the driving it due to its size. I am currently driving a sedan car. driving a mpv car which longer than sedan worries me a lot.

Did you get it from ubi showroom? The lowest published price so far is around SGD163K+++, You means it is possible to bargain downward? Which insurance company that mazda tied-up with?

Thanks.

ha ha ha... i can relate to what you mean. I went to check out zafira, orlando touran and sharan over the weekend.

The first 3 is prob what you meant. I only remember the first generation kia carens to be like that. In fact, getting out of zafira, i strained my back muscle cos need to twist my body so badly (i'm 1.8 m)...

never knew i got such a good deal with my current wish. It confirms that wish is the most spacious of all mid-sized mpvs... looks like i will need to look at full-sized ones next...

Thanks.

ha ha ha... i can relate to what you mean. I went to check out zafira, orlando touran and sharan over the weekend.

The first 3 is prob what you meant. I only remember the first generation kia carens to be like that. In fact, getting out of zafira, i strained my back muscle cos need to twist my body so badly (i'm 1.8 m)...

never knew i got such a good deal with my current wish. It confirms that wish is the most spacious of all mid-sized mpvs... looks like i will need to look at full-sized ones next...

Supercharged

Oh, I'm surprised Orlando also has this problem, cos it looked like such a big MPV from the outside! Zafina and Touran has this problem, I know.

Kia Carens (1st gen) I sat before in the 3rd row....its like sitting on the floor!! I basically cross my legs throughout the journey (lucky it was a short journey).

Wish (latest model) I also sat before in the 3rd row. I find it low and my legs still got to cross a bit....

Supercharged

Definitely not. You can see from my attached picture.

Cos usually pictures are just pictures, and sometimes can't tell the real thing. So prefer to hear it from the driver himself more accurate. lol... :D

Oh, I'm surprised Orlando also has this problem, cos it looked like such a big MPV from the outside! Zafina and Touran has this problem, I know.

Kia Carens (1st gen) I sat before in the 3rd row....its like sitting on the floor!! I basically cross my legs throughout the journey (lucky it was a short journey).

Wish (latest model) I also sat before in the 3rd row. I find it low and my legs still got to cross a bit....

I also thought they looked decent from the outside, but how wrong i was. First, just look at the window glass for the 3rd row. They are so much narrower than Wish's (now then i realised). This means they have very little space for 3rd row. Add to it, for Touran, the 2nd row seat cannot move front/back and only have one position (for the seat, not the backrest). Means you cannot even push 2nd row front a bit to give 3rd row a bit more space. Confirm only for children.

Then for Touran and I think Zafira, to get into 3rd row, need to push 2nd row backrest to fold to be flat with the seat (i.e. 0 deg, not 180 deg), then the whole box-like seat lift upright to rest/lean against the first row seat. Go in to third row, then let go the lean-up 2nd row, and allow the seat to drop down, and be fastened/secured to a couple of hooks on the floorboard.

Wah lao... when i tried, was sweating boy -- my leg so long no space to put, very worried the 2nd row seat when coming down will bang right onto my legs and I become cripple [dead]

I think give me free also i won't drive (at most sell off to buy another car...); so dangerous...

I thought wish current (09 version) interior and space is same as the first generation and face-lifted model, which i class-leading already. Yup, nowhere as comfy as 2nd row but i think ok liao leh. Still cannot?

Just done the 1000km servicing. Made online booking on Monday for Thursday servicing. What a difference from my previous make which requires a month waiting time. Best is that it was done within 2 hours. Very friendly and good service, not the atas type but the uncle-aunty type which I prefer. Lounge was comfortable with only a coffee machine. Servicing no longer a chore as I used to dread the hostility and imaginary fight that could erupt anytime, haha.

Biante wise have gotten used to the new drive. Still nothing to complain about except the lack of sun/moon roof. The 2L engine got better and now feel more spirited and willing to pull, though still far cry from the previous car. But is compensated by the full-size cabin which everyone in the family loves. FC not very fantastic at about 9km/L, hope it would improve after run-in. But would be happy to accept this figure as my previous 2L NA MPV also returned this figure. Anything more more would be bonus.

Having owned 2 mid-size MPV before, this is by far the most complete car. The high seating position make it safe to look further ahead at junction. The gigantic side-mirrors can see 2 lanes behind abreast. We could definitely see more of outside situation than the average car, thus safer as could anticipate and make better judgement. Parking has been easy due to its 1.77m width which is of average dimension, not too fat. The interior is not of luxurious standard but very pleasant for daily use.

My wife went to Honda showroom recently to check out the Odyssey and she came back complimenting me a wise choice I made to save the $40k. According to the layman, that car does not offer anything significant that our Biante do not have. Maybe she not a badge whore, but then again Mazda is not too shabby among jap makes isn't it? She had been doing abit of nagging as to why I did not want to spend the extra money to get the Odyssey instead. Just glad that it turn out well. We were joking that we could live with only 2 airbags in the past, so could definitely live with 2 now, haha.

But just felt wierd that we have seen only another Biante in the east so far. There should already be close to 100 on the road. Hope to see more of this car in days to come.

wah, your car usage is very less, 1 and half month just reached 1000km [:p]

btw, Biante and Mz 5 what different?

Supercharged

I thought wish current (09 version) interior and space is same as the first generation and face-lifted model, which i class-leading already. Yup, nowhere as comfy as 2nd row but i think ok liao leh. Still cannot?

You can try the current Wish and see for yourself how's the 3rd row like. Perhaps you find it OK..... [laugh]

I personally did not feel it is comfy, and is low seating, and I am slightly less then 1.7m tall.

You can try the current Wish and see for yourself how's the 3rd row like. Perhaps you find it OK..... [laugh]

I personally did not feel it is comfy, and is low seating, and I am slightly less then 1.7m tall.

ok, let me qualify (forgot to do this) hor, when i said ok, i didn't mean it is even good. But if move first and second row seats bit in front, then at least 3rd row got some legroom, even though legs must be at an angle, given the seats are only about 10-20 cm above floorboard, depending on incline of seats. If inclined max, give bit legroom, ok still can tahan lah... but must reiterate that it's not comfy at all.

I actually tried before once not long after we got the wish, but v long ago... after that it's always wife (she's your height) and/or kids who sit there -_-

But wife can survive sitting there for trip to Genting once, although quite uncomfortable cos needed the seat to be less inclined (more upright so body angle not conducive) to put luggage betw seat and tailgate...

I'm very sure if any of the other mid-sized MPVs if ask her to do this, she'll ask me to cancel trip [smash]

Hi Heartlander,

I am considering mazda mpv 5 efore the release of biante. I kind of like the biante more than M5 but am a bit worried about the driving it due to its size. I am currently driving a sedan car. driving a mpv car which longer than sedan worries me a lot.

Did you get it from ubi showroom? The lowest published price so far is around SGD163K+++, You means it is possible to bargain downward? Which insurance company that mazda tied-up with?

For comparsion, standard mid-size mpvs are at about 4.5xm which is similar to all the normal sedan like Civic, Mazda3, Altis, etc. Full-size mpv tends to go to 4.8m range. Biante is relatively shorter at 4.71m. I have had Sharan for a few days, really abit phobia as difficult to park due to its length and being fat at 1.84m. Biante only is 1.77m wide which is only slightly fatter than Wish and Stream. And with the large side-mirrors and bundled reverse camera, very easy to manoeuvre. The learning curve should be very slight, coming from a 4.5m car.

The price I got was before the latest COE, with Ubi branch. You need to go down to ask as published figure not accurate. I thought now promotion at $155k? Insurance coy is AIG, can't choose.

If you need space, won't go wrong with Biante. Else you might be thinking why never get the full-size mpv later. They are so different.

Cos usually pictures are just pictures, and sometimes can't tell the real thing. So prefer to hear it from the driver himself more accurate. lol... :D

It is really like normal bench. Very tall. No need to crunch at all.

Then for Touran and I think Zafira, to get into 3rd row, need to push 2nd row backrest to fold to be flat with the seat (i.e. 0 deg, not 180 deg), then the whole box-like seat lift upright to rest/lean against the first row seat. Go in to third row, then let go the lean-up 2nd row, and allow the seat to drop down, and be fastened/secured to a couple of hooks on the floorboard.

Wah lao... when i tried, was sweating boy -- my leg so long no space to put, very worried the 2nd row seat when coming down will bang right onto my legs and I become cripple [dead]

I think give me free also i won't drive (at most sell off to buy another car...); so dangerous...

One option is to remove the middle seat of middle row of Touran to create a walk-through isle, effectively rendering it to a 6-seater which I did. No regrets, became so much more liveable. @nd row can slide forward to create more space for 3rd row. 3 row also got more space due to removal of middle seat in 2nd row.

But I would not recommend you to get VW, until about a year later when the situation there improves.

wah, your car usage is very less, 1 and half month just reached 1000km [:p]

I overshoot the 1000km mark by a bit. About 3 weeks from collecting car.

Biante and Mazda 5 very different: mid-size vs full-size. Biante is very tall at 1.84m but can enter most carparks especially the recent buildings. Only some old HDB carparks and Rochor Centre got problem I read. Never encounter one so far.

Supercharged

Biante has rear aircon to the 3rd row. Mazda 5 don't have.

Biante has rear aircon to the 3rd row. Mazda 5 don't have.

I think it's quite obvious Biante vs Mazda 5 = Full-sized MPV vs mid-sized MPV

What i'm curious to know is the difference betw Biante vs Mazda 8, since both are full-sized MPVs. Anyone knows this?

I think it's quite obvious Biante vs Mazda 5 = Full-sized MPV vs mid-sized MPV

What i'm curious to know is the difference betw Biante vs Mazda 8, since both are full-sized MPVs. Anyone knows this?

When I test drive Biante & Mazda, the Mazda SE told me that Biante is not really a full sized MPV when compared to Mazda 8 , Estima, Odyssey, etc. Biante is in the range between Mazda 5 & 8.

However, after driving Mazda 8 & Biante, I feel that the drivability of Biante is better than Mazda probably it is a newer model with better technologies. I think Biante is better than Mazda.

Turbocharged

oh, i was considering getting a touran.

so your main gripe with touran was its 2nd row seat. Any other particular reasons for the switch to biante?

One option is to remove the middle seat of middle row of Touran to create a walk-through isle, effectively rendering it to a 6-seater which I did. No regrets, became so much more liveable. @nd row can slide forward to create more space for 3rd row. 3 row also got more space due to removal of middle seat in 2nd row.

But I would not recommend you to get VW, until about a year later when the situation there improves.

Edited by Karoon
↡ Advertisement