Mazda Biante MPV

Swifter78

When I test drive Biante & Mazda, the Mazda SE told me that Biante is not really a full sized MPV when compared to Mazda 8 , Estima, Odyssey, etc. Biante is in the range between Mazda 5 & 8.

However, after driving Mazda 8 & Biante, I feel that the drivability of Biante is better than Mazda probably it is a newer model with better technologies. I think Biante is better than Mazda.

huh? not even full-sized MPV? Then it will be strange if it has decent/comfy seats and space. I'll go take a look one day...

When I test drive Biante & Mazda, the Mazda SE told me that Biante is not really a full sized MPV when compared to Mazda 8 , Estima, Odyssey, etc. Biante is in the range between Mazda 5 & 8.

However, after driving Mazda 8 & Biante, I feel that the drivability of Biante is better than Mazda probably it is a newer model with better technologies. I think Biante is better than Mazda.

huh? not even full-sized MPV? Then it will be strange if it has decent/comfy seats and space. I'll go take a look one day...

oh, i was considering getting a touran.

so your main gripe with touran was its 2nd row seat. Any other particular reasons for the switch to biante?

The 3rd row for Touran is only suitable for kids, confirmed. If you want all 3 seats on 2nd row, then it is a danger to get into 3rd row, in my opinion. I mean it is a danger to put the 2nd row back down after you've climbed into 3rd row. The legs must be v careful to put in right position, then after that don't move... Else the 2nd row seat come slamming down kanna your (or your kids') legs... that's it. Wonder why would car manufacturers adopt such dangerous design...

↡ Advertisement

oh, i was considering getting a touran.

so your main gripe with touran was its 2nd row seat. Any other particular reasons for the switch to biante?

The main reason I switched to Biante is because of workshop situation. No issues with 2nd row seat at all, haha. I love Touran very much and it could actually still serve the needs of my family for the next few years.

The car itself has not given me much problems, only one unscheduled visit per year thereabout. Very manageable, looking at the larger picture like road tax saving, accelerating power, material use, ease of driving, etc...

What irks me and my wife is the workshop situation. With many vw cars being sold and coupled with the infamous DSG issues, it is really a dread to have to go to workshop. Even the SA I engaged also start to get sloppy in returning updates. I can understand the workload is tremendous, but the whole experience is definitely not pleasant to deal with. I can see that VW is trying hard to solve the issues and having some successes, eg the frequency of going back for unscheduled visit definitely lengthen along the way, but I am not willing to go through this if can avoid due to my large family.

But I am definitely willing to consider VW cars in near future, if they can solve the DSG issues. Really a shame, if not I believe the whole singapore will be flooded with VW cars with the acceptable quality and good pricing.

The 3rd row for Touran is only suitable for kids, confirmed. If you want all 3 seats on 2nd row, then it is a danger to get into 3rd row, in my opinion. I mean it is a danger to put the 2nd row back down after you've climbed into 3rd row. The legs must be v careful to put in right position, then after that don't move... Else the 2nd row seat come slamming down kanna your (or your kids') legs... that's it. Wonder why would car manufacturers adopt such dangerous design...

Biante is positioned as between Mazda5 and Mazda8, but if you look at the dimensions, it is definitely more roomy than Mazda8. It is shorter and narrower than Mazda8 but its internal space is much more. It is like having the best of both worlds - easier to drive but having more space. In fact its internal space is only marginally smaller than Alphard.

And I think you misunderstood about the middle seat of 2nd row. I removed it completely and put in my store room since day 2 I think. So what is left is a big empty space to walk through or put grocery if need to. The removal of the seat also created more space for legs to move about. Touran is 1 of the few cars that allow removal of individual seats.

The main reason I switched to Biante is because of workshop situation. No issues with 2nd row seat at all, haha. I love Touran very much and it could actually still serve the needs of my family for the next few years.

The car itself has not given me much problems, only one unscheduled visit per year thereabout. Very manageable, looking at the larger picture like road tax saving, accelerating power, material use, ease of driving, etc...

What irks me and my wife is the workshop situation. With many vw cars being sold and coupled with the infamous DSG issues, it is really a dread to have to go to workshop. Even the SA I engaged also start to get sloppy in returning updates. I can understand the workload is tremendous, but the whole experience is definitely not pleasant to deal with. I can see that VW is trying hard to solve the issues and having some successes, eg the frequency of going back for unscheduled visit definitely lengthen along the way, but I am not willing to go through this if can avoid due to my large family.

But I am definitely willing to consider VW cars in near future, if they can solve the DSG issues. Really a shame, if not I believe the whole singapore will be flooded with VW cars with the acceptable quality and good pricing.

How old was your Touran, how much you paid for it and what was the trade in value? Care to share?

How old was your Touran, how much you paid for it and what was the trade in value? Care to share?

I have had the Touran for 2yrs 8mths. The trade-in offer by Mazda was very good, one of the motivating factor for me. VW offered me 10k lower just a month before that. All in I lose only 4.5k based on buying and selling price.

Biante has rear aircon to the 3rd row. Mazda 5 don't have.

Thanks Heartlander!

I need space that the reason why I considering MPV. Just went to mazda Showroom to check it out during lunch time. Will test this weekend and make the final decision!!

Biante is positioned as between Mazda5 and Mazda8, but if you look at the dimensions, it is definitely more roomy than Mazda8. It is shorter and narrower than Mazda8 but its internal space is much more. It is like having the best of both worlds - easier to drive but having more space. In fact its internal space is only marginally smaller than Alphard.

And I think you misunderstood about the middle seat of 2nd row. I removed it completely and put in my store room since day 2 I think. So what is left is a big empty space to walk through or put grocery if need to. The removal of the seat also created more space for legs to move about. Touran is 1 of the few cars that allow removal of individual seats.

This is very interesting - if Biante is shorter and narrower yet more spacious internally than M8. Will definitely go over to check it out when i have time. If this is possible, then surely it's a matter of time before we see more cars like this.

No, i actually understood what you meant about removing the middle seat of the 2nd row. The salesperson showed me last weekend too. For me, though, that is not likely practical as the 2nd row will likely need to seat 3 persons quite often. If anything, there is a much higher frequency of us having to fold down one of the 3rd row seat to put a wheelchair, if i need to fetch my grandma, or need to put groceries or bulky items.

The one thing that I think i have different understanding from you is whether the 2nd row seat (the seat, not backrest) can be moved slightly forward or backward, so as to either give the 3rd row more or less legroom. The salesperson told me cannot, but you seem to say can... For the position that I tested on last weekend, if 2nd row cannot move forward, then 3rd row is CMI... i think even my (P5) girl, who is ~1.6 m now, will complain soon.

So if my need is must have 3 seats on 2nd row, the only way to go in/out of 3rd row is to flip the 2nd row seat up, go in, then flip the 2nd row seat back down to lock it back in position. This is the danger part i fear...

Supercharged

This is very interesting - if Biante is shorter and narrower yet more spacious internally than M8. Will definitely go over to check it out when i have time. If this is possible, then surely it's a matter of time before we see more cars like this.

No, i actually understood what you meant about removing the middle seat of the 2nd row. The salesperson showed me last weekend too. For me, though, that is not likely practical as the 2nd row will likely need to seat 3 persons quite often. If anything, there is a much higher frequency of us having to fold down one of the 3rd row seat to put a wheelchair, if i need to fetch my grandma, or need to put groceries or bulky items.

The one thing that I think i have different understanding from you is whether the 2nd row seat (the seat, not backrest) can be moved slightly forward or backward, so as to either give the 3rd row more or less legroom. The salesperson told me cannot, but you seem to say can... For the position that I tested on last weekend, if 2nd row cannot move forward, then 3rd row is CMI... i think even my (P5) girl, who is ~1.6 m now, will complain soon.

So if my need is must have 3 seats on 2nd row, the only way to go in/out of 3rd row is to flip the 2nd row seat up, go in, then flip the 2nd row seat back down to lock it back in position. This is the danger part i fear...

... Honda Stream... 2nd row can slide forward so that we can get into 3rd row.

but KM not selling anymore....

... Honda Stream... 2nd row can slide forward so that we can get into 3rd row.

but KM not selling anymore....

it's the same as wish, which i'm driving now. Got another 1 yr+ to go before expiry so am checking out options.

Supercharged

it's the same as wish, which i'm driving now. Got another 1 yr+ to go before expiry so am checking out options.

You check out Ford S-Max?

You check out Ford S-Max?

Not yet. it's part of the plans, but i stay NE, so easier to start with Ubi first ^_^

When i bought my first car 13 yr ago, Regent Motors selling Ford was in Ubi, and i went to check out i think Laser and Focus... Recently when I saw Ford's ads, showroom is in Alexandra. Must wait till got go there then go lor...

Turbocharged

lol. it's ok. never felt like i've needed it. well will keep a look out for it in the next car.

After you made this post, I got curious.

Seems the big 3 nippon brands to not even bother with VSC (even as an option). The Koreans, at least, have it in their 1.6L options. Ditto for airbags.

After you made this post, I got curious.

Seems the big 3 nippon brands to not even bother with VSC (even as an option). The Koreans, at least, have it in their 1.6L options. Ditto for airbags.

Won't be a deal breaker to me. Airbags important for me. But these driving/braking assists other than ABS to me is not necessary as long as the driver is careful.

Edited by Lala81

The second row sure can move back and forth. To tilt any seats in 2nd row up, you have to push it all the way to the back before the manoeuvre. Else you can't tilt it up.

If you still intend to get the VW, get the diesel variant of Touran if not Sharan.

But if got to ferry wheelchair, then Biante is better if of similar price. It will also be more handy to carry big items like bicycles eg. You will also have no more excuses to get full-size MPV next time, haha.

Thanks Heartlander!

I need space that the reason why I considering MPV. Just went to mazda Showroom to check it out during lunch time. Will test this weekend and make the final decision!!

Enjoy the process. If can wait, no need to hurry. COE will definitely drop in very near future.

The legend for following data is as follows:

全長(mm) External car length 全幅(mm) External car width 全高(mm) External car height 室内長(mm) Internal car length 室内幅(mm) Internal car width 室内高(mm) Internal car height

室内長 refers to the usable space in the car. You can see that Biante offers much more internal space than Mazda8, definitely comparable to other full-size MPV though shorter externally.

For Mazda8:

全長(mm) 4860 全幅(mm) 1850 全高(mm) 1685 室内長(mm) 2635 室内幅(mm) 1565 室内高(mm) 1210

For Biante:

全長(mm) 4715 全幅(mm) 1770 全高(mm) 1835 室内長(mm) 2990 室内幅(mm) 1545 室内高(mm) 1350

For Elgrand:

全長(mm) 4915 全幅(mm) 1850 全高(mm) 1805 室内長(mm) 3025 室内幅(mm) 1580 室内高(mm) 1285

For Alphard:

全長(mm) 4870 全幅(mm) 1830 全高(mm) 1890 室内長(mm) 3160 室内幅(mm) 1585 室内高(mm) 1400

For Estima:

全長(mm) 4815 全幅(mm) 1820 全高(mm) 1745 室内長(mm) 3010 室内幅(mm) 1580 室内高(mm) 1255

For Odyssey:

全長(mm) 4830 全幅(mm) 1800 全高(mm) 1695 室内長(mm) 2935 室内幅(mm) 1625 室内高(mm) 1325

For Wish:

全長(mm) 4590 全幅(mm) 1695 全高(mm) 1600 室内長(mm) 2660 室内幅(mm) 1470 室内高(mm) 1315

Biante Dimension.pdf

Turbocharged

Won't be a deal breaker to me. Airbags important for me. But these driving/braking assists other than ABS to me is not necessary as long as the driver is careful.

Yup.

It'd be great if Nippon 1.6L at least offer the option of more than 2 airbags like the Koreans.

Hey, just struck me: if betw Mazda 5 and Mazda 8, would that not then be like Picnic was betw Wish and Estima? Does Biante come close to Picnic?

The legend for following data is as follows:

全長(mm) External car length 全幅(mm) External car width 全高(mm) External car height 室内長(mm) Internal car length 室内幅(mm) Internal car width 室内高(mm) Internal car height

室内長 refers to the usable space in the car. You can see that Biante offers much more internal space than Mazda8, definitely comparable to other full-size MPV though shorter externally.

For Mazda8:

全長(mm) 4860 全幅(mm) 1850 全高(mm) 1685 室内長(mm) 2635 室内幅(mm) 1565 室内高(mm) 1210

For Biante:

全長(mm) 4715 全幅(mm) 1770 全高(mm) 1835 室内長(mm) 2990 室内幅(mm) 1545 室内高(mm) 1350

For Elgrand:

全長(mm) 4915 全幅(mm) 1850 全高(mm) 1805 室内長(mm) 3025 室内幅(mm) 1580 室内高(mm) 1285

For Alphard:

全長(mm) 4870 全幅(mm) 1830 全高(mm) 1890 室内長(mm) 3160 室内幅(mm) 1585 室内高(mm) 1400

For Estima:

全長(mm) 4815 全幅(mm) 1820 全高(mm) 1745 室内長(mm) 3010 室内幅(mm) 1580 室内高(mm) 1255

For Odyssey:

全長(mm) 4830 全幅(mm) 1800 全高(mm) 1695 室内長(mm) 2935 室内幅(mm) 1625 室内高(mm) 1325

For Wish:

全長(mm) 4590 全幅(mm) 1695 全高(mm) 1600 室内長(mm) 2660 室内幅(mm) 1470 室内高(mm) 1315

Thanks! This is very useful for comparison purpose...

I'm surprised at a few of these, though (in blue). Could the manufacturer or printer have made mistakes for these few, as they seem implausible leh:

- Wish is the smallest of the lot, so using it as a benchmark, how can M8 be only a bit taller than wish?

- and if the internal length of wish is longer than M8, then guess no point for me to consider changing from wish to M8...

- then for internal height, M8 is the least...

↡ Advertisement