Aircon whirring sound + no aircon filter since car purchase

Alfisti168

a few months ago, one of the aircon vents keep getting blocked, and the air that comes out of all vents is very dusty. after some time, the blockage went away, even though there's still alot of dust inside the system. it still occasionally gives out hot air, but the air is generally cooling enough.

now, my old man's car aircon totally collapsed. All hot air and dust. And the aircon has developed a whirring sound since yesterday, which varies with engine speed but goes away with the A/C switched off.

And recently when he wanted to take out the aircon filter to blow, he realised the filter is not inside since purchasing the 2nd hand car one yr ago.

what have gone wrong?

Edited by Alfisti168
↡ Advertisement

a few months ago, one of the aircon vents keep getting blocked, and i find the air that comes out of it is very dusty. after some time, the blockage went away, even though there's still alot of dust inside the system. it occasionally gives out hot air, but the air is generally cooling enough.

now, my old man's car aircon totally collapsed. All hot air and dust. And the aircon has developed a whirring sound since yesterday, which varies with engine speed but goes away with the A/C switched off.

And recently when he wanted to take out the aircon filter to blow, he realised the filter is not inside!

what have gone wrong?

Sounds like the compressor has given way... When the bearing in the compressor was worn out, it will emit whining sound when the A/C is switched on.

Neutral Newbie

same thing as my other family car last month, give out a strong chemical smell too, went to service centre to change something out then all ok

Edited by John112

same thing as my other family car last month, give out a strong chemical smell too, went to service centre to change something out then all ok

how much did you pay for the repair?

Stop using the aircon until it is fixed. If the piston in the compressor jammed, it may affect the engine as it is linked by a pulley. Also you might need to get the aircon ducting clean and replace a new air filter. I am not sure how much it will cost but it is going to be a long one.

Stop using the aircon until it is fixed. If the piston in the compressor jammed, it may affect the engine as it is linked by a pulley. Also you might need to get the aircon ducting clean and replace a new air filter. I am not sure how much it will cost but it is going to be a long one.

aircon fixed =) not sure about the exact problem but my dad says its a part below the compressor that failed. should be the RCV valve. optra's common fault.

Neutral Newbie

a few months ago, one of the aircon vents keep getting blocked, and the air that comes out of all vents is very dusty. after some time, the blockage went away, even though there's still alot of dust inside the system. it still occasionally gives out hot air, but the air is generally cooling enough.

And recently when he wanted to take out the aircon filter to blow, he realised the filter is not inside since purchasing the 2nd hand car one yr ago.

what have gone wrong?

Bro, stop using the aircon immediately. The compressor gone already, if keep using, your car whole aircon system will be gone and the repair is dam expensive.

Relate my experience to u, last month my CRV also have this same situation, whenever i on the aircon, a whirring or grinding sound can be heard, thinking nothing serious and keep using it till whole system explored with a loud BANG and burst out with aircon gas . The estimated repair cost near to 1.8 - 2.3k cos the whole aircon system need to be changed.

Neutral Newbie

Try MOVA Automotive NEW Aircon Maintenance Servicing Package. Introductory price at $100 only!

bro, how long does it takes to do the aircon servicing? Must we sign up package inorder to have this $100 servicing?

Is it Mr Yow doing the job?

what have gone wrong?

just to share some of the things i know... please correct me if im wrong...

aircon system consist of a few component:

1) blower- provide air flow, if no wind come out from the aircon vent, that means something wrong with the blower. Not really very expensive to be replace, around 100 to 200 depends on make and model (sunny cost around $120).

2) compressor- the heart of the system, it cools the aircon gas. If compressor gone case, you will have warm air come out from the aircon vent. most of the time, its the clutch that is worn.... depends on the damage, repair may cause anything from $30 to few hundred.

3) cooling coil- a metal block with plenty of fins... the aircon gas cool the coil and when air flow thru the cooling coil fins, it becomes cool air. cooling coil could be blocked by dust, hence, get choked and less efficient, to prevent this problem, always install a aircon filter.... When the cooling coil is choked, the air comes out will be very weak and not so cool. If the cooling coil leak, hot air will come out. you can expect very low pressure when you refill your aircon gas. if the coil need to be replace, prepare to pay a few hundred dollars as its very labour intensive to replace the coil...

4) aircon gas pipe- the pipe may break and aircon gas may leak. when this happen, aircon gas pressure may go down and aircon system will not be cool. not very expensive to repair, depends on the location of the pipe...

5) termostate- if gone heywire, aircon will not be cool but air will still come out as normal. not very expensive repair for most car made n model.

6) other aircon electronic parts- depends....

tips- some car has a small glass window attached on the aircon pipe (eg vios, Civic FD2). this is the window where you can do simple troubleshooting. when your aircoon is turn on, you may see some small bubble from the glass window. the bubble should be gone after a while, if the bubble appears and doest go off, it means your aircon gas pressure is low and you need to refill the gas... after refilling, the problem should not come back within a few yrs time, otherwise, somewhere is leaking....

Hi guys,

sorry to go a little bit off topic here. I am driving a 3 yrs Subaru 1.6TS. Got 2 problems here.

1) Every time when i start the engine in the morning, there is always a high pitch sound coming from the engine. When i depress the accelerator, the high pitch sound goes even higher. Turning the steering wheel also cause the sound to be even obvious.

All these sounds will go away once the temp meter needle goes to the half way point. The performance of the car is not affected in any way. But the high pitch sound from the engine will come back once in a while while i was accelerating and during moments when the RPM is dropping.

2) Some time ago, my car almost overheated. Went to motor image and replace both fans and its motors. Ever since, the car did not overheat but the temp meter needle would reach to the high region before it comes down in a while. This happens almost everytime i stop the vehicle, be it in a traffic light situation or jam.

I also happen to have water temp meter in my car. Previously, when the car's fan/motor is damage, the engine temp will rise together with the water temp. NOW, only the engine temp is rising. Why is that so? I top up with coolant and water regularly.

Sigh, i went for servicing package that costs me almost 520 bucks (5 months ago) and i thinking of changing to another workshop.

Thus, bros and sis, may i know which workshop deals with subaru cars? I need it....i doubt those people in Motor Image can handle the problem. Always telling me something is damage here and there.

Thanks

Desperate Guy

Replied in blue, hope could help you in any way....

1) Every time when i start the engine in the morning, there is always a high pitch sound coming from the engine. When i depress the accelerator, the high pitch sound goes even higher.

Belt is worn/ too loose/too tight either some adjustment on the belt or replace it. its not expensive.

2) Turning the steering wheel also cause the sound to be even obvious.

sounds like your power Steering pump got air lock/ spoilt. try to replace your power steering fluid 1st, see whether problem solved. could be DIY easily, search around this forum for more details. it was discussed beofre.

All these sounds will go away once the temp meter needle goes to the half way point. The performance of the car is not affected in any way. But the high pitch sound from the engine will come back once in a while while i was accelerating and during moments when the RPM is dropping.

refer to 1st answer.

2) Some time ago, my car almost overheated. Went to motor image and replace both fans and its motors. Ever since, the car did not overheat but the temp meter needle would reach to the high region before it comes down in a while. This happens almost everytime i stop the vehicle, be it in a traffic light situation or jam. I also happen to have water temp meter in my car. Previously, when the car's fan/motor is damage, the engine temp will rise together with the water temp. NOW, only the engine temp is rising. Why is that so? I top up with coolant and water regularly.

sounds like your radiator is not efficient enough to remove the heat from the engine efficiently. Water temp doesnt increase cause the water alrd reach boiling point... anything higher still same temp unless you increase the pressure by replacing the radiator cap (dont anyhow change radiator cap). try to flush your radiator, you can DIY, simple work, search around in this forum and there were such discussion b4. btw, never add tap water into radiator tank. use only distilled water

Sigh, i went for servicing package that costs me almost 520 bucks (5 months ago) and i thinking of changing to another workshop.

What doesnt the service package include? if routine engine oil change, ask your workshop go n fly kite.

Thus, bros and sis, may i know which workshop deals with subaru cars? I need it....i doubt those people in Motor Image can handle the problem. Always telling me something is damage here and there.

Any workshop can... its just a boxer engine with AWD, nothing so unique...

Edited by Tigershark1976

There's also the Condenser.

oh yah.... condenser... without it, no heat exchange liao. but 1 thing im not sure, is car condenser= radiator? or its 2 differents parts? can anyone advise?

↡ Advertisement