Disgust at GRC Blackmail

Gendut

Turbocharged

actually they intentionally introduce the flawed argument to make it easier for them to garner the majority seats via the GRC system. you can see in the GRC system, they are also playing the mathematical law of averaging out but putting heavyweight minister in each grc with lightweight or newcomer in the same slate. top it up with the gerrymandering of the election boundaries, the mathematical law of averaging works to perfection for them.

but if they sense their votes are falling periliously close to the 50% mark, this mathematical law of averaging means that the sure win constituency cannot absorb so many areas with high opposition vote. is this the reason why we saw so many smc this time round?

Do you remember the survey a while back that found a majority of the population were not ready for a non chinese PM?

There seems to be a valid argument that some people at least would vote along racial lines. Does the problem need to be solved?

YES I think so.

Is the GRC solution the best? I am unconvinced, but then I also am not a political scientist, so would need too much research to render any more than a seat of the pants opinion.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Icic. Understood. [;)]

Aiyoh - no need to like that - I am not "bacck side covering" - am just giving the proper back ground to a quote that needs to be taken with a large grain of salt.

Do you remember the survey a while back that found a majority of the population were not ready for a non chinese PM?

There seems to be a valid argument that some people at least would vote along racial lines. Does the problem need to be solved?

YES I think so.

Is the GRC solution the best? I am unconvinced, but then I also am not a political scientist, so would need too much research to render any more than a seat of the pants opinion.

i thought it was not a survey but an opinion by our wise man?

people are definitely swayed to a certain extent to vote along racial lines. look at USA, Obama is their first black president. even in singapore, if you realize so far all the singapore idol winners are malays?

but is it necessary and possible to remove all inclinations to vote along racial lines? it is impossible to remove such bias and i don't see suficient detriment from such bias to vote to warrant setting up a apecial system for it?

Aiyoh - no need to like that - I am not "bacck side covering" - am just giving the proper back ground to a quote that needs to be taken with a large grain of salt.

haha [laugh] I didn't mean that lah. Just understood that there's many meaning to "Personal Army".

Edited by Baphomet

Turbocharged

i thought it was not a survey but an opinion by our wise man?

people are definitely swayed to a certain extent to vote along racial lines. look at USA, Obama is their first black president. even in singapore, if you realize so far all the singapore idol winners are malays?

but is it necessary and possible to remove all inclinations to vote along racial lines? it is impossible to remove such bias and i don't see suficient detriment from such bias to vote to warrant setting up a apecial system for it?

Ok...not the most reliable source but

A poll on The Straits Times' online portal Stomp - after Mr Barack Obama's win last week - asking if Singapore was ready for a non-Chinese PM saw 477 respondents saying no and only 40 saying yes

this is more credible....Last year, a survey of 1,824 Singaporeans' views on inter-racial ties by academics Norman Vasu and Yolanda Chin of the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS) found that only 31 per cent of Chinese respondents said they were willing to tie the knot with a Malay or Indian. However, some 82 per cent of Chinese said they would celebrate special events like weddings and birthdays with Malay or Indian friends.

And when it came to an Indian as prime minister, 94 per cent said they would not mind, while 91 per cent said they would not mind a Malay as prime minister.

Edited by Darryn

just for laffs... Tay Ping Hui spoofs Tin Pei Ling

hahahaha [laugh][laugh]

Where you find these sia.. :D

Edited by Baphomet

hahahaha [laugh][laugh]

Where you find these sia.. :D

saw it in 8 days... then someone scanned the pictures and uploaded them.

Anyway, Tay Ping Hui is also a fellow YPAP... guess he must be "upset" that Tin Tin was chosen over him. Whahaha

saw it in 8 days... then someone scanned the pictures and uploaded them.

Anyway, Tay Ping Hui is also a fellow YPAP... guess he must be "upset" that Tin Tin was chosen over him. Whahaha

His motive must be in the wrong place then [laugh] Or no connection lor, fans not included [laugh]

Ok...not the most reliable source but A poll on The Straits Times' online portal Stomp - after Mr Barack Obama's win last week - asking if Singapore was ready for a non-Chinese PM saw 477 respondents saying no and only 40 saying yes

this is more credible....Last year, a survey of 1,824 Singaporeans' views on inter-racial ties by academics Norman Vasu and Yolanda Chin of the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS) found that only 31 per cent of Chinese respondents said they were willing to tie the knot with a Malay or Indian. However, some 82 per cent of Chinese said they would celebrate special events like weddings and birthdays with Malay or Indian friends.

And when it came to an Indian as prime minister, 94 per cent said they would not mind, while 91 per cent said they would not mind a Malay as prime minister.

yep that's why i say they overplayed the issue of voting along ethnic lines. such things will always exist and evidence thus far does not show it really became detrimental and counter productive. if anything, having to dedicate resources to plan for GRC, identify the precints popular with the oppn party would in fact be more detrimental in the form of resources consumption.

what if this time round papa loses big...?? what will happen?? if falls below 50%??? how??? what drastic measures will they take??? semulah? vote again??? or what???

Even they got 49% of the votes, they still takes the majority since Oppo parties cannot combine themselves.

LPPL

i saw mr brown's photo before but his not as funny.

bcos mr brown couldn't act cute as well as tay ping hui haha

ya loh.. Tay Ping Hui takes the cake...oppss.. i mean Kate Spade! [laugh]

for most, or at least for me, i agree with WP...

Opp are not ready to take over the govt yet, but that doesn't mean we are contended with PAP rule

if this election, WP (or any other opp) can win a GRC and more seats, it is considered a big victory already

you want the opp to work so hard just go improve the margin? aiyoh... the role of opposition is to win, not present you with percentages that makes you happy... even if pap drops from 75% to 66% to 51%, 51% means they still win!

even with the TPL sex vid it wont reduce her chances of going into parliamen... at least we will have watched an MP sex vid.. hehehe

↡ Advertisement