I think my fren's case gone liao.... (SIA's cargo handling)

KARTer

My fren recently took a SQ flight to London Heathrow.

He checked in his suitcase at T3, and hand-carried his guitar (in a solf guitar 'bag').

Just before boarding the plane, the xiao mei mei in kebaya told him to turn back and 'surrender' his guitar+bag to the boarding counter so that it can be placed somewhere else on the plane instead of following my fren to the cabin.

My fren has travelled between UK / SIN many times before, hand-carrying his guitar, so he told the xiao mei mei so and asked her to let him bring the GTR into the cabin.

But the XMM rejected his request.

My fren LL and reluctantly handed over the guitar but made it clear to XMM+ground crew that it's a fragile item and they must take care of it, and the ground crew stuck a few 'FRAGILE' stickers on the GTR bag and took it away from my fren.

.......15 hours later at Heathrow baggage claim convery belt, my fren picked up the GTR bag but found the guitar in two pieces!!!

As the flight's arrival at Heathrow was delayed, and my fren needed to rush to catch the coach to bring him to another town, he rushed off with the broken GTR to catch the coach which was about to leave the airport.

My take:

Before the flight took off from TS, the ground crew recognised+acknowledged that the GTR bag needed the "FRAGILE" stickers for obvious reason. Somewhere between T3 and Heathrow Airport (London) the GTR was damaged. SIA should take responsibility for the damage. Whether SIA goes after T3 cargo handling team or Heathrow cargo handling team is a matter between these three parties, my fren should be compensated by SIA as the unfortunate incident happened on a SQ flight.

However, SIA will put up a defence: there's no proof that the GTR was damaged between TS and Heathrow, it could have been damaged after it left the conveyor belt at Heathrow!!

It's my fren's words against SIA/TS/Heathrow's..... (too bad he didnt report the damage at Heathrow before leaving the baggage claim area)

Conclusion: No case

What do you think??

Edited by KARTer
↡ Advertisement

my take? he is at fault.

ur fren should know he cannot bring it onboard. we all know the size of luggage allowed for hand carry. i doubt guitar fits that dimension. whether he has done it previously is irrelevant.

if fragile, then should protect it adequately by putting into a hard case. fragile sticker means they wont anyhow throw the luggage, not they going to give the guitar royal treatment.

my take? he is at fault.

ur fren should know he cannot bring it onboard. we all know the size of luggage allowed for hand carry. i doubt guitar fits that dimension. whether he has done it previously is irrelevant.

if fragile, then should protect it adequately by putting into a hard case. fragile sticker means they wont anyhow throw the luggage, not they going to give the guitar royal treatment.

I think you are about right.

Also, how to justify that it is damage when transporting when his friend do not take action immediately at the airport.

Also, need to pay insurance & make sure musical instruments are covered. I do know some insurance, specified that sports equipments like skii, or snow boards are not covered, unless, maybe you specified in the insurance.

In Jan this year, I rem seeing 1 passenger bring a guitar case in to a SQ flight. I was thinking why it was not put in the cargo hold 'cos the plane is pretty full and the compartment is rather packed.

It was a flight from Manila to Singapore.

(edited)

Two words.

Travel insurance.

Exactly, refund with no question asked!! I hope my fren is covered.

Edited by KARTer

my take? he is at fault.

Usually such fragile bag (where it's not extremely bulky) the air crew will 'park' it together in the cabin where jackets/overcoats are kept, this way, the bag is only handled by the air crew who wont chuck it around... i did the same many times before

bruce ought to let 10 lucky fans take a free ride on his flight 666 to rock on [cool] but i doubt anything much happen during flight :huh:

your friend steve vai? [:p]

i blur..... sv si siang??? (seriously)

sounds like a guitar-carrying guy??

dont blame SIA lor. could be the ah moh at heathrow anyhow handle right? dont everything SIA SIA cos ur fren took their flight and blame them for his convenience.

y ur fren never buy travel insurance..its cheap also mah.

OT, last time i brought a small squarish limestone statue from Bali. on the flight, the kind SIA lady helped us to keep the statue in a private locker and returned to us before we leave the plane. nice gesture from them.

Remembered there was this guy in the states who suffered the fate as your friend & the airline refused to entertainment his claims.

He then made a music video using a guitar (what else?) to ridicule the airline & posted it on YT.

The clip attracted million of hits until the airline LL had tried to compensate him but unsuccessful IIRC.

Edited by Vulcann

I think, you are just making this up. Having travelled umpteen times, no one would be allowed to bring the guitar onboard the flight, not after 9-11. Check in baggage, specially specified with FRAGILE, and SPECIALLY on SQ flights, get very special attention, if damaged, SQ will make full compensation.

How would I know, I brought back very fragile items back before, and none of the aboved happened, friend had his machine damaged on other flights, and was duly compensated as well.

Please, Karter, you want to stir sh.it, do it proper, not when we have a lot of very learned and well travelled people here in MCF.

I don't work for SQ, nor any gov. Org. If you have beef with the using party, that is your own perogative, but don't make up stories of such nature to garner support for your cause, whatever it my be. Very cold and lame.

I brought my espresso machine from Italy to Singapore on SQ, fragile all in. One stainless steel wand broke, 14days full compensation. No issues. Want proof? I have all the documentation. -_-

Turbocharged

Heh heh... next time you are at Heathrow terminal, or any other airport terminal for that matter, take the chance to look out at the terminal operations whenever an aircraft pulls in. Bulk (uncontainerized) cargo, such as last-minute stuff like baby strollers, guitar, etc. are loaded at the rear-most belly area of the aircraft. Door opens, one guy goes in and starts tossing out the items on a conveyor. At the bottom of the conveyor, other guys take the items and dump it into open trolleys...

I never see much distinction between "Fragile" stuff and other stuff [rolleyes]

Only first-class cargo is given special treatment, fast delivery to the belt.