Toyota Fielder Shock Absorbers

Kianbeng

Hi all,

My Fielder's rear shock absorbers are getting squeaky recently and it doesn't go away (done 80k+ km). On inspection, it looks as if oil has leaked from the left rear absorber.

I've checked with a Ric Tat and the original part is only $60+ ea. I believe it's oil ones. Not gas since it's so cheap. The stockist had no idea.

I've checked with Yuen Thong and they have KYB replacement which is gas. cost $98+ ea for the rears. The fronts are $138+ ea. I used to buy KYB from Chin hon and I think they are quite cheap but unfortunately they don't carry this model for Fielder.

Just wondering if anyone has anything to share esp if they are driving Toyota Fielder / Axio.

↡ Advertisement

Imho, may I suggest just stick to the OE replacement oil type? At this price is reasonable, and if one replacement can expect to last you another 80-90k km, good enough? This is what I'm practising, didn't go for gas type or upgrade, about same price also 2006 Corolla Altis, rear 1 piece ~$70, go for it [;)]

it could be. But I am after reliability.

If you research on shock absorbers, many 3rd parties manufactures a range of shock absorbers with comfort range, performance range, ..... but these are all in gas.

Just for the record and information for others who may be doing this in future.

I've purchased KYB 341363 from Yuen Thong as they were the only one who could match this KYB absorber to fit my Toyota Fielder 2009 (NZE141 09). Paid $98/b gst each. Based on this KYB model, I found it was used on Toyota Prius.

Upon installation, I then realized that this shock is slightly different. The cylinder body is wider and couldn't fit into my springs. I called Yuen Thong and clarify and was told this is the right absorber. The height was the same as the original one but when I told him the cylinder body was bigger, he said he had another model which is the same but smaller body. But kept insisting this is the right model. If I wanted the smaller body, I could do a swap at the same cost.

Ok. So after checking with the workshop, I understand they could still fit this, but will have to modify my springs to open it slightly bigger. It's a easy job but they said from experience that sometimes such modifications can cause the spring to degrade / lifespan shorten / snap. But I was already halfway there and didn't want to send it back to Yuen Thong and the workshop said that normally bigger cylinders will be stiffer and generally better. Ok so I went ahead with the modification.

When they have totally disassembled the absorber, they compared this absorber with another from a Toyota Altis and found that it's exactly the SAME! This mean that, next time, if anyone needs a shock absorber, you can just ask for a Toyota Altis' absorber which I suspect could be much cheaper. But it is the smaller body one. Anyhow a replacement absorber most likely will be gas and will provide better performance than the original $60 absorbers (oil).

So I hope this helps someone with a Toyota Fielder down the road.

Just for the record and information for others who may be doing this in future.

I've purchased KYB 341363 from Yuen Thong as they were the only one who could match this KYB absorber to fit my Toyota Fielder 2009 (NZE141 09). Paid $98/b gst each. Based on this KYB model, I found it was used on Toyota Prius.

Upon installation, I then realized that this shock is slightly different. The cylinder body is wider and couldn't fit into my springs. I called Yuen Thong and clarify and was told this is the right absorber. The height was the same as the original one but when I told him the cylinder body was bigger, he said he had another model which is the same but smaller body. But kept insisting this is the right model. If I wanted the smaller body, I could do a swap at the same cost.

Ok. So after checking with the workshop, I understand they could still fit this, but will have to modify my springs to open it slightly bigger. It's a easy job but they said from experience that sometimes such modifications can cause the spring to degrade / lifespan shorten / snap. But I was already halfway there and didn't want to send it back to Yuen Thong and the workshop said that normally bigger cylinders will be stiffer and generally better. Ok so I went ahead with the modification.

When they have totally disassembled the absorber, they compared this absorber with another from a Toyota Altis and found that it's exactly the SAME! This mean that, next time, if anyone needs a shock absorber, you can just ask for a Toyota Altis' absorber which I suspect could be much cheaper. But it is the smaller body one. Anyhow a replacement absorber most likely will be gas and will provide better performance than the original $60 absorbers (oil).

So I hope this helps someone with a Toyota Fielder down the road.

Thanks for sharing. 7 years on shock absorbers is good :) How has it been? Still owning the Fielder?

↡ Advertisement