Should I migrate?

Vid

If I come back to Singapore for an extended period before I get the HK PR, then it will start again.

Chose HK for personal reasons.

Let me guess ...HL park no kick one, only ah pehs ah sohs...HK protest more shiok becos lots of xmms

• Praise 1

If I come back to Singapore for an extended period before I get the HK PR, then it will start again.

Chose HK for personal reasons.

Hmmmmmm........... [sly]

HK night life ... :a-happy:

• Praise 2

Yes, will get the PR. I won't be back until probably my elder son do NS in 6-7 yrs.

Is your children local school or Singapore International School? The reason asked because if intend to come back to Singapore, kids may get cultural shock.

China is the next big thing why HK and not China? You may do very well in China especially if you are in IT.

• Praise 1

Not exactly. At least not yet. I have to stay 7 years to be considered for permanent residency. 5 years right now.

I should add, I will very likely return because my boys will have to serve NS. At this point of time, they cannot avoid unless something happen in the future.

Mind sharing which area you living in?
  • Praise 1

Funny..many of my Hong Kong friends wanting out. In fact 80%of my uni friends either already in aussie or kiwi. Hk to be honest (I stayed 1 plus in HK) is a good place for aspiring working adult. However when come to old age retirment I reckon singapore edge slightly ahead.

Of course the ideal country for retirement is still Aust. Slow pace and spacious.

My wife already done her prison term in Aust. Shssssss

we are still here mainly due to my aging mum and to nuture our boy in a Chinese speaking culture academic curriculum. Like vid let him decide later in life whether to live his life here or become a second class citizen in aussie.

Singapore really that bad. Sigh.

• Praise 1

I read your first post . Why hk? Isn’t Hong Kong worse than Singapore for housing?

Har............. :we-all-gonna-die:

HK, Portland Street is so much better than our Geylang Lorongs....... oops ... [lipsrsealed]   cannot pichar his lobang .. :ignoring:  

• Praise 2

Is your children local school or Singapore International School? The reason asked because if intend to come back to Singapore, kids may get cultural shock.

China is the next big thing why HK and not China? You may do very well in China especially if you are in IT.

Children are in International school but not in SIS. Hong Kong is close enough to China to set up HQ. Framework in HK is also more stable.

Funny..many of my Hong Kong friends wanting out. In fact 80%of my uni friends either already in aussie or kiwi. Hk to be honest (I stayed 1 plus in HK) is a good place for aspiring working adult. However when come to old age retirment I reckon singapore edge slightly ahead.

Of course the ideal country for retirement is still Aust. Slow pace and spacious.

My wife already done her prison term in Aust. Shssssss

we are still here mainly due to my aging mum and to nuture our boy in a Chinese speaking culture academic curriculum. Like vid let him decide later in life whether to live his life here or become a second class citizen in aussie.

Singapore really that bad. Sigh.

I find one thing hk no good is the housing there. Unless you are super rich, then maybe still ok, if not very difficult in hk. In sg, housing also not cheap but many still able to afford a better house than people in hk.

• Praise 2

You can live normally in HK using only English. Everything has English so it's not a problem and everybody speaks some English.

But in China, other than the big cities with lots of foreigners like BJ SH and GZ SZ, your Mandarin must be up to scratch if you venture into other areas.

But yes, was in SH recently and can literally feel the power, money and commerce coursing through the city. Every business is big time one, local and global markets... Paiseh to say you're from Singapore, market of only 6.9m people. Haha..

• Praise 2

I find one thing hk no good is the housing there. Unless you are super rich, then maybe still ok, if not very difficult in hk. In sg, housing also not cheap but many still able to afford a better house than people in hk.

Can lah... Can still buy a decent 3 bedroom condo unit on HK island... Kennedy Town, HKU that side, near the sea and only a few stops from Admiralty. If I am not wrong, for the price of an EC.

If you can afford a $1+ million condo in SG, you can also afford a small but livable apartment in the Mid-Levels, a not so new one lah.

Those friggin expensive ones you see on the news are those luxury class ones...no need to buy those lah LOL

Edited by Viceroymenthol
  • Praise 2

Got mountain got water

Jin song

Yeah man, night life with mountain very song! :a-m1212:

Can lah... Can still buy a decent 3 bedroom condo unit on HK island... Kennedy Town, HKU that side, near the sea and only a few stops from Admiralty. If I am not wrong, for the price of an EC.

Kennedy Town is cheaper and also pretty accessible by MTR, quite a good choice.

However, property prices are really sky high these days even in Kennedy Town.

Whenever I'm in HK for business, I always marvel at how high the residential buildings can get.

Duxton is nothing [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 1

Yeah man, night life with mountain very song! :a-m1212:

Kennedy Town is cheaper and also pretty accessible by MTR, quite a good choice.

However, property prices are really sky high these days even in Kennedy Town.

Whenever I'm in HK for business, I always marvel at how high the residential buildings can get.

Duxton is nothing [lipsrsealed]

For Chinese people, no matter where they are, property remains the number one choice.

Perhaps it is cultural. To Chinese people, owning a property shows that you have already achieved some success and are stable in your life and career, able to take care of your family (this point is very important in Chinese culture) and are ready to grow and develop further in those areas.

Other cultures are ok with splurging on lifestyle, expensive exotic cars, yachts and such, and content with living in a rented property. I think Chinese people in general are the other way round.

If you can afford a $1+ million condo in SG, you can also afford a small but livable apartment in the Mid-Levels, a not so new one lah.

Those friggin expensive ones you see on the news are those luxury class ones...no need to buy those lah LOL

Why no one mention its because of the roast goose da.....

If you cant afford EC or $1+ million housing in SG, then got problem buying house in HK liao. Not everyone in sg can afford EC and above le, most only buy house below $500k de.

↡ Advertisement