Should I migrate?

Vid

Neutral Newbie

This election has brought many many thoughts. My wife was telling me a couple of days ago if we should migrate and it really set me thinking... Here are the points why we are consdering.

1) Healthcare is too expensive. I want to be able to fall sick and not fear of becoming a heavy burden to my children. Really "can die but cannot fall sick".

2) Housing is too expensive. Although we have our own house, I fear my children will not be able to afford. A new 4 rm flat can easily cost more than $300k. By the time my children grow up, it's probably $900k [:(]

3) FTs have infiltrated our society. Left right centre all flanked by them. And there is no let up on the numbers still on the way. I feel really "squeezed" whenever I out on the streets. I no longer feel at home and that feeling is growing stronger and stronger.

4) Gahmen are still courting for more FTs. How can my children have a future here?

5) Gahmen goes overseas, like China, and give those so called FTs all expense paid trip here. With free education all the way until university. If my children can't get into local university, I have to send them overseas anyway.

6) My children will have to serve NS. I do not want them to hold the rifle while the FTs come here to enjoy the peace and snatch their jobs, their houses and their opportunities. Seriously, I used to think NS will be good for them and hope they will develop into a better person. However, with Singapore going the way it is, that thought vanished.

I will vote on 7 May. Hopefully, I can see a change in the near future. If not, should I uproot my family and move somewhere else?

Actually if you were to start planning to migrate.

You must 1st get the house ready, consider it an investment or future proofing.

Once this is done, everything else is easier.

↡ Advertisement

Isnt it ironic? You cannot stand the inflow of FT here, yet you migrate to another country and become her PR. You have become and added to the very phenomenon you oppose. Hypocrisy?

i understand where you are coming from.

for me, i have never oppose to foreigners choosing singapore to live in. their choice to stay here is a testament to the success of this country in making it a conducive place to settle in. i welcome those who became citizens shortly after they are here.

but like what Vid said, our country has attracted a lot of unnecessary, like what you mentioned, FTs into our country. they are FTs or 'mercenaries'.... people who come here, to make a whole lot of dough, pack their bags and laugh their way back to their country, leaving nothing behind but crap.

according to the gahment, they are here to create jobs.

but according to the latest employment records from MOM, out of 116700 jobs created in 2010, more than half went to foreigners... leaving the remaining to citizens and PRs.... which effectively means jobs created for bona fide singaporeans are even lesser... this is sad..

Hypersonic

While i agree with you that Singapore is small and no resources, which i do not see why you would bring this up into the discussion, i am as upset as you if we are treated like 2nd class citizens. But when you say your not there to fight with the locals, are you implying that you are just going to retire there? If so then you have a valid point. But i am sure some others are going overseas to find work, to buy houses, which will mean they are doing exactly what the FTs here are doing. Dont get me wrong im not here to argue with you, i am just upset that people are turning their backs on this country. I have the same sentiments as many of you regarding the foreigners, but this is our home afterall. Though its sad to see we are being treated as 2nd class, i still love this country.

I love this country as much as everyone here. Not a lot of countries are like Singapore where it is so small and anything can have a huge impact on society. The influx of FTs has crippled housing, transports and living spaces.

If, and I mean IF, I really leave, it is not because I'm turning my back on the country. It is because the country has force me out. I am only thinking for my next generation.

i understand where you are coming from.

for me, i have never oppose to foreigners choosing singapore to live in. their choice to stay here is a testament to the success of this country in making it a conducive place to settle in. i welcome those who became citizens shortly after they are here.

but like what Vid said, our country has attracted a lot of unnecessary, like what you mentioned, FTs into our country. they are FTs or 'mercenaries'.... people who come here, to make a whole lot of dough, pack their bags and laugh their way back to their country, leaving nothing behind but crap.

according to the gahment, they are here to create jobs.

but according to the latest employment records from MOM, out of 116700 jobs created in 2010, more than half went to foreigners... leaving the remaining to citizens and PRs.... which effectively means jobs created for bona fide singaporeans are even lesser... this is sad..

I agree with you entirely. how come the garmen like that... its like turning our back on your own son, disappointing..

And be FT of other country? Funny that you want to be foreigner of other people's country but cannot stand FTs in your own country.

Agreed...

Turbocharged

depends on May 7 outcome. confirm u shd migrate if status quo.

To be frank, I think the opposition parties wll still be thrashed left right centre, but maybe PAP will win by smaller margns and so when you wake up on 8 May, everything is as per normal. Just that you will see a change when the 1 million FTs descend on us.

FTs I can accept, but easy citizenship served on a platter to them like some cheap goreng pisang really irks me. Canada which is known for its immigration friendly policy, still has not granted my friend who worked there for 5 years straight as a professional engineer his PR. Here I cant imagine our gahmen actually cheapens citizenship so much. [rifle]

I will do my best in this election, but after having talked to my friends, security guards at my company, I think the opposition dream is really dead. We are screwed.

Neutral Newbie

depends on May 7 outcome. confirm u shd migrate if status quo.

We all hope so.. but from what we see during this election period with threats and stuff, even if opposition wins, its not going to be easy for them. Like Lord of the Rings.. winning the election only means the opposition becomes the fellowship.. they still need to face thousands of 'orcs' and 'goblins' to get the job done.

Things might get worse but if we vote for them.. we must stand by them..then things will improve.

Else come next election, everyone chicken out.. back to square one =( I have parents to take care of and kids to worry abt.. I dun need an extra park and honestly.. the air quality and noise pollution really sucks with all these construction around.

This election has brought many many thoughts. My wife was telling me a couple of days ago if we should migrate and it really set me thinking... Here are the points why we are consdering.

1) Healthcare is too expensive. I want to be able to fall sick and not fear of becoming a heavy burden to my children. Really "can die but cannot fall sick".

2) Housing is too expensive. Although we have our own house, I fear my children will not be able to afford. A new 4 rm flat can easily cost more than $300k. By the time my children grow up, it's probably $900k [:(]

3) FTs have infiltrated our society. Left right centre all flanked by them. And there is no let up on the numbers still on the way. I feel really "squeezed" whenever I out on the streets. I no longer feel at home and that feeling is growing stronger and stronger.

4) Gahmen are still courting for more FTs. How can my children have a future here?

5) Gahmen goes overseas, like China, and give those so called FTs all expense paid trip here. With free education all the way until university. If my children can't get into local university, I have to send them overseas anyway.

6) My children will have to serve NS. I do not want them to hold the rifle while the FTs come here to enjoy the peace and snatch their jobs, their houses and their opportunities. Seriously, I used to think NS will be good for them and hope they will develop into a better person. However, with Singapore going the way it is, that thought vanished.

I will vote on 7 May. Hopefully, I can see a change in the near future. If not, should I uproot my family and move somewhere else?

Just my observations:

1) Curious why you want to fall sick in the first place? Do you actually enjoy falling sick or just inapporpriate wordings?

2) What you see may not be the value-for-money housing. Do you/your family really want such housing, if there are better/cheaper

alternatives here?

3) You got the point. You are right. People Avoiding Party introduced this Gangsters-Rob-Citizens to bar citizens from voting the

candidate of our choice. That means us semi-citizens without the voting rights to solve the problem.

4) People Avoiding Party is putting all efforts to drive citizens out of Singapore, as the new immigrants enjoy the hospitality.

5) That is the protocol to bar your children from being on par with immigrants.

6) Your children will be protecting the immigrants, so that they can enjoy themselves here.

Recommendation: Do not vote for people who introduced Gangsters-Rob-Citizens to make live miserable for you and your children.

Same here, i already saving up going to US to study U there..........then after i get my citizenship there then i bring my parents with me to US

I wish you the best, since a nephew came back with all his friends after conducting their 3 months emigration study there. You sure you want to emigrate to a declining country?

well, u can do something on 07 May. If still nothing happen or get worry after 2 to 3 yrs maybe u can consider. My 2 cents

PAP vs United Singaporeans. Vote for United Singapore.

2) Housing is too expensive. Although we have our own house, I fear my children will not be able to afford. A new 4 rm flat can easily cost more than $300k. By the time my children grow up, it's probably $900k [:(]3) FTs have infiltrated our society. Left right centre all flanked by them. And there is no let up on the numbers still on the way. I feel really "squeezed" whenever I out on the streets. I no longer feel at home and that feeling is growing stronger and stronger.

3) Not a reason for migration, you have your family there and its very different living in another country.

1) True and worthy contributing factor.

2) Not true. As property price goes up, your salary goes up too. Ask your parents how much are they earning when they first bought their property. I agree that its not a proportional growth but its the same everywhere in the world unfortunately.

To be honest, Singapore's HDB system ensure everyone (within the income threshold) can afford their OWN house instead of renting. The extremely low interest rate is the reason to housing affordability in Singapore. Rather than comparing "apples with apples" (landed and landed) why not compare the norms?

I can give you a very good example. What does an average Singaporean household live in? How much is that property? Do you know whats the average property price in Australia (thats where I'm living now so I cant say for other countries)? My understanding is average household in Singapore lives in 3-4bedroom HDB which can be anywhere between 250-400k depending on varies factors. This figure is slightly lower than what an average Australian household pay for their house. Regardless of apartment, townhouse, landed house in a suburb in Brisbane, the property price can be between 300-550k (for a 3-4bedroom). Now thats not a big difference you would say but now look at the interest rate, I'm currently paying 7.1%, how much are Singaporeans paying? Do you know 3years ago the interest rate was around 9-10%? And more than 15 years ago it was over 13%? Thats mortgage.

What bout eating out? A plate of chicken rice in Singapore would be $3-$4? We're paying $10. Does that mean I need to earn 2-3times of a Singaporean? Unfortunately I'm not.

I can tell you a way of making money from FTs. Assuming they cannot buy HDBs, you can positive gear a property investment in Singapore.

3) Not a reason for migration, you have your family there and its very different living in another country.

4) They will live as you do and adapt.

5) I dont know how this work but every university will need foreigners because the tuition fees paid by local is peanuts.

6) Doesnt make sense. Serving NS is part of being a Singapore citizen. Whats the jobless rate in Singapore?

Seriously the only reason why I choose to stay back after uni is because of the working environment, cheaper cars and I can get PR very easily.

Also, before you say you wanna migrate, maybe check if you are eligible or not to begin with. A lot of people keep saying they wanna migrate like its that simple...

Grass is always greener on the other side.

I suggest you try to work and live in the country that you want to migrate to first before making a decision. It may not turn out to be "better".

I believe you missed the opportunity to $15,000/- per month job, if you looking for job. Alteast one political party short of candidates (I missed it too).

That's what I fear too. Adapting to another country is not easy. Jobs is not really an issue cos I will just be relocating my business. But it's a huge decision that I do not want to take lightly, same as my vote.

Someone shared with me that in some countries, business survival depends on your race. Do re-consider your investment.

I think there is a paradigm shift happening. However, this is the beginning, we may not see it in this election (the huge change some are waiting for) but we will see it (hopefully be alive when it happens).

Your points do make sense, but we can't just change where we are born in (Singapore). However, what we can do is effect the change (or no change) we want to see by casting our votes.

Nobody agrees implicitly with everyone else, at least I don't. But I think in life, we have to try to change what we think is wrong or try to bring about the change.

Many drops form an ocean, remember the PAP were also the opposition once. How the previous ruling party lost it's power was when it went overboard, lost it's bearings and eventually lost the people's confidence, if the PAP does not keep in check their policies history is bound to repeat itself.

Thats why they introduced Gangsters-Rob-Citizens into General Elections, to avoid fellow citizens being voted into office.

↡ Advertisement