Should I migrate?

Vid

(edited)

Remember, it's 99 years for Singapore and I wouldn't consider that as an investment.

Its positive gearing dude. Name me something which you can 100% positive gear? Also, who's gonna live for 99yrs? I know I wouldnt (or least I dont want to)

Hi Vid,

Let me give my views. I know this country we love (or at least used to) & feel at home, have change so much in the last decades. FTs are everywhere. Everywhere crowded, & cost of living going up the ceiling at and alarming pace. But to forget lack of human rights & state control media, & things I cannot say here, & a government that doesn't seems to put citizen behinf economic growth & their ever increase salaries.

I like all Male citizen, serve NS (when it was 2.5 years & 6 days week), do my ICT (only missed one, the year I was in U.K), & go for siong outfield & oversea trainings. Damn, I was even a regular member at Katib Fitness club, before joining the Bedok branch this year.

I remembered when just before I join NS, I was trying into some MLM thingy for a while. After I join the army, the manager called me, & I told him straight , I wanted to be a good soldier, find someone else.

But now, at times, I asked myself, who are we fighting for. While FTs are courting our girls & earning bucks & gaining promotions, I was digging trenches, & doing guard duties. Many times, I have to pass up opportunites for overseas trainings & such due to ICT commiteement.

But desprite all these, its not stong reason to migrate. But some questions are valid.

1) Do you think the situation will improve? What do you forsee your next generations. Your children, & their children. Do you think they are better here or somewhere else.

2) Do the place you wanted to go give you better job security, better for your children to grow up.

All is not always good in other places. Every nation have their problem. So of the things you may considered are as follow.

1) Do you mind being the minority, do you mind if you could be discrimated?

2) Will you be treated as well as the others in the countries?

3) Will you miss Singapores food?

4) Will you missed your relatives & parents?

No matter what, yoiu should at least have some idea of the place you are going to before making any board move. There are places good for holiday, but not live, & some the opposite.

Anyway, I am also planning for leave Singapore, if things goes well, very soon. I I do so not so much due to the policatical situation of the influx of FT, but these certainly make it more reasons to do so.

I lived oversea before, so I know how the place is like. Anyway these are my reasons.

1) Less hectic lifestyle. People understand you have life out of work & respect your social life more.

2) The job I seek is not found in Sinagpore. This is one reason enough

3) I prefer a more quiet place to live & work. I never enjoy big city lifestyle since young. And having the change to live in a nice town in central England, just confirm my point that I am a small town boy.

4) I prefer a more seasonal climate. After schooling & start working, years (like age) become just like numbers. You just doesn't feel year pasting by...

5) I have more job security in what I seek than the profession I am in in Singapore. I wonder if I can get a job if my company closed down, esepecally to have to compete with so many FTs

6) I wanted less stressful enviroment for my kids.

7) Call me lame, the only way in the near future I think I can have a house (land property) is aboard.

8) As a car fan, Singapore is just one of the worst place for car lovers. I missed the nice country roads & motorways back in U.K, ever changing due to the seasons. Not to mention so many tracks to choose from.

Not neccessey means I will be eventually going, but decision time is very soon, in the next couple of months, or even weeks.

No matter what, Singapore will still be my motherland, & I will still come back often & follow the events.

In the end, its a big decision, many people couldn't even have the means to think of this possibility. Do so because you find a place you think more suitable for you, where you will be accepted, & you and yiur family will be happy. Do not do so because of the policial issues & your anger at the governments or FTs.

+1

so ur dad manage to pay off the loan in 6 yrs. good for him, so did my father with his 800 sgd salary. But can u say so for ur own flat or can ur children pay for their future flat at all if the issue of sky rocketing public housing is not checked! how long will the loan be (for our children) bcos i know some citizens who are now straddled with loan of up to 30 yrs for a 4 room flat that has a lease of 99 yrs and again i state this its not buying a flat but only lease out by the HDB to us the citizens.

a colleague from india just 'retired' and returned to india after selling his 4 room flat at a 200k profit and returned his pr status to the government and cashed out his cpf and got back nearly 100% that was in his account (did not ask the full amount as it is very personal). His family is enjoying the fruits of his labor and his son will be going to a University in USA after completing his A levels here- yes! he did not want his son to serve ns!

There is another posting on the issue of foreigner getting scholarship to study in our university and its not only scholarship but the whole package ie accomodation, meals and allowance! i suggest u go and read it. And no there are no refugee here in SG, that was way back in the 70s.

Thats why we have been saying that there is something wrong with the policies implemented and the only way is by having a substantial amount of opposition in the parliament.

here is the thread on the above topic http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2663008

Thats b-------t. All the more the government should come up with some taxation for FT like these. That will make them think twice before coming and filter out the black sheeps. I am all for FT thats contributing to the country and genuinely want to live in another country but seeing what you post, I think tax is the best way around it. If the government can fine people for so many things, why not fine the dodgy FTs?

I'm not saying Singapore is perfect but seriously its a nice place to live in other than the working environment. I would definitely go back Singapore if I have 2 properties here earning rent.

The reason why I'm bringing up refugees is because thats our problem here in Australia, the government's spending too much on these useless people. These people are not doing anything/contributing to the society but the government is providing them with free food and lodging. On top of that, we have people thats living off the government going to centrelink making claims of up to 500 per fortnight because they "cannot" find a job or got nothing to do.

Edited by Strudel-
↡ Advertisement

Singapore world's 1st economy owned by foreigners?

they mati mati always want to be number 1 huh? congratulations ! Give that tiger a man! [laugh][laugh]

(edited)

Thats b-------t. All the more the government should come up with some taxation for FT like these. That will make them think twice before coming and filter out the black sheeps. I am all for FT thats contributing to the country and genuinely want to live in another country but seeing what you post, I think tax is the best way around it. If the government can fine people for so many things, why not fine the dodgy FTs?

I'm not saying Singapore is perfect but seriously its a nice place to live in other than the working environment. I would definitely go back Singapore if I have 2 properties here earning rent.

The reason why I'm bringing up refugees is because thats our problem here in Australia, the government's spending too much on these useless people. These people are not doing anything/contributing to the society but the government is providing them with free food and lodging. On top of that, we have people thats living off the government going to centrelink making claims of up to 500 per fortnight because they "cannot" find a job or got nothing to do.

ya we agree on SG being a nice place but that was the distant pass! most of us don feel at home here eventhough we were born and bred in this tropical island. but these fts are treating us like suckers and most will be going back 'enriched' by the experience here.

thats is what is different between our two country!

one is pro-humanitarian and pro-welfare (though this is a double-edged sword)

and one that don't give a damn about their own citizens, there's no welfare here, once u have are old or out of a job you are really done for bcos there won't be any unemployment benefits and such! u cant even used the monies in your CPF account that is technically yours!

but then they can give money to Fts to use and study like nobody business! [rifle][rifle]

Edited by Eviilusion

3rd Gear

As what Chickenbackside said, it is rather true. If other countries so good, why do you think FT want to come here?

Every country has pros/cons. Instead of fleeing, why not stand firm and hold to your ground.

The time has come. Your vote this Saturday will make a difference.

Fight for your foothold in Singapore and don't let Singapore belong to FT and their children who are just interested to reap the benefits of our hardwork.

yes, this is what I am doing [nod]

Give them the only 1st and only GRC left after GE (laugh).

wah ! like that old man cialat liao. can imagine cst talking to the parliament and knocking at old man forehead :wacko::wacko: .

3rd Gear

Interesting erm, comment.

I said what I said because I have lived and worked in a few countries for meaningful amounts of time. Yes some things are better, others not so. It all depends on your priorities in life.

You never really know until you actually go through the processes. After acquiring a property, paying taxes, dealing with banks, hospitals, doctors, buying things from the supermarket, walking down the street at night to get some food when you're hungry, watching a movie in a cinema...etc, then see whether it is a better place.

hahaha, reminded me when my wife wanted to migrate to NZ Auckland, after 11 days staying at her sister-inlaw's place, she decided not to migrate there because shopping center closes early, cinema shows not the latest, not very fashionable clothes over there (to her is a bit outdated), handphone also old design (at least it was back then, not as fast as what we get over here), a simple pair of slippers cost more than NZ$10, don't have 24 makan places like here, nothing to do after sun down except for :wub: (you know what lah! [laugh] ), etc... and the list goes on..... the only good thing she say is the agricultural produce there are fresh and cheaper than home.

Even a middle age Taiwanese couple we met over there said this when her sister-inlaw's mum told them we intend to migrate from Singapore,

wah ! like that old man cialat liao. can imagine cst talking to the parliament and knocking at old man forehead :wacko::wacko: .

I thought he should be proud to be the only survivor GRC, everyone admire and respect him (laugh).

Turbocharged

abuse of the goodwill welfare system.. just like orang asli & bumi in malaysia.. but if u noticed, these are not going to foreigners unlike ours..

as i understand, pr in australia aren't entitled to welfare until they stay and contribute to the country for at least 2yrs.

at least they still try to minimise foreigners from exploiting them

hahaha, reminded me when my wife wanted to migrate to NZ Auckland, after 11 days staying at her sister-inlaw's place, she decided not to migrate there because shopping center closes early, cinema shows not the latest, not very fashionable clothes over there (to her is a bit outdated), handphone also old design (at least it was back then, not as fast as what we get over here), a simple pair of slippers cost more than NZ$10, don't have 24 makan places like here, nothing to do after sun down except for :wub: (you know what lah! [laugh] ), etc... and the list goes on..... the only good thing she say is the agricultural produce there are fresh and cheaper than home.

Even a middle age Taiwanese couple we met over there said this when her sister-inlaw's mum told them we intend to migrate from Singapore,

3rd Gear

Yup.

Sometimes it's the little things that bother me. Like when you go and watch a movie, there are no assigned seats, and you literally have to run into the cinema to "chope" your seats when the door opens. Not to mention the cinemas are generally really dirty and the patrons ill-mannered.

Want food after 10pm? No such thing as walking to a nearby coffeeshop. You will need to drive and all you will find is fast food.

You will also face racism of some sort if in a predominantly non-asian country.

$4-5 per meal eating out? Fat hope! At least $10 for crappy food.

Houses and cars may be cheap, but wait until the time comes to pay taxes. Almost half of it is gone. And people here complain about 7% GST? Haha...

It's easy to romanticize life in another country. The truth, which is different for everyone, will only be realised with experience.

racism is still there in NZ, only that they don't do it so openly like in DownUnder, at least the adults don't but not the kids. The adults will still smile at us when they meet us in the Shopping Malls/Restaurants but I can see that it is very fake, 笑面虎, 皮笑肉不笑, machiam like politician like that.

My nephew was bully in elementry school, so much so that he doesn't want to go to school every morning. So no choice, my bro-inlaw brought him back and enrol him in the Primary School. He is much happier now and told us that he didn't want to go back to NZ to study. You can see the fear in his eyes when he said that.

A lot of immigrants and some Kiwis in NZ are abusing the Social Welfare scheme, so I don't feel good that I have to work hard there, pay hevy taxes to feed these people, my sis-inlaw and her parents are on Social Welfare (what an irony). They prefer to take part time jobs in Restaurants so that they can also file for unemployment to qualify for Social Welfare which is something I do not agreed upon :angry:

The Maori gets double the amount of what a ordinary Kiwi gets for Social Welfare, at least that was what I was told by my sis-inlaw. They don't have to work, have many kids and can have enough $$ to live on public housing, own cars and shop and eat out at Tax payer's expense :blink:

one day, when the cost of living gets so high and the standard of living gets so low, people wil give up and leave.

(edited)

abuse of the goodwill welfare system.. just like orang asli & bumi in malaysia.. but if u noticed, these are not going to foreigners unlike ours..

as i understand, pr in australia aren't entitled to welfare until they stay and contribute to the country for at least 2yrs.

at least they still try to minimise foreigners from exploiting them

Well it depends on which visa you're holding but yes, you need to be self sufficient for at least 2 years. But having said that, the superannuation (CPF equivalent) is taxed at 18% at the time of contribution (much lower than your normal tax rate) but if you choose to leave Australia and want to withdraw, it will be taxed at a much higher rate (40% or 45% I think or can be whatever tax you're paying at that time). Also, withdrawal of super is only available for TR (temporary residents) and not PR, because PR can apply for another visa if they wish to get the residency again after it expires.

Seriously its all about money. The government just gotta think of ways to make it not feasible for dickheads to try exploiting. This goes to show the government isnt very smart afterall.

ya we agree on SG being a nice place but that was the distant pass! most of us don feel at home here eventhough we were born and bred in this tropical island. but these fts are treating us like suckers and most will be going back 'enriched' by the experience here.

thats is what is different between our two country!

one is pro-humanitarian and pro-welfare (though this is a double-edged sword)

and one that don't give a damn about their own citizens, there's no welfare here, once u have are old or out of a job you are really done for bcos there won't be any unemployment benefits and such! u cant even used the monies in your CPF account that is technically yours!

but then they can give money to Fts to use and study like nobody business! [rifle][rifle]

I always think 1 of the main reason why Singapore can be so rich is due to CPF. Because the government is holding that money. Whereas here, its with private companies and theres a lot of companies doing it (which can be a good or bad thing). During the GFC, my super return is negative... [lipsrsealed]

racism is still there in NZ, only that they don't do it so openly like in DownUnder, at least the adults don't but not the kids. The adults will still smile at us when they meet us in the Shopping Malls/Restaurants but I can see that it is very fake, 笑面虎, 皮笑肉不笑, machiam like politician like that.

My nephew was bully in elementry school, so much so that he doesn't want to go to school every morning. So no choice, my bro-inlaw brought him back and enrol him in the Primary School. He is much happier now and told us that he didn't want to go back to NZ to study. You can see the fear in his eyes when he said that.

A lot of immigrants and some Kiwis in NZ are abusing the Social Welfare scheme, so I don't feel good that I have to work hard there, pay hevy taxes to feed these people, my sis-inlaw and her parents are on Social Welfare (what an irony). They prefer to take part time jobs in Restaurants so that they can also file for unemployment to qualify for Social Welfare which is something I do not agreed upon :angry:

The Maori gets double the amount of what a ordinary Kiwi gets for Social Welfare, at least that was what I was told by my sis-inlaw. They don't have to work, have many kids and can have enough $$ to live on public housing, own cars and shop and eat out at Tax payer's expense :blink:

Its not just Chinese or Asians dude. My mate that came from NZ told me the whites are treated the same too. The Maoris will call them Pakeha which literally means white devil (ironically we call them the same too, guai lou). He dont like Maoris too and say they're paying for all those welfares for people who doesnt work etc. He told me some forms actually got a selection of either you being a Pakeha or Maori.

Edited by Strudel-

Seriously its all about money. The government just gotta think of ways to make it not feasible for dickheads to try exploiting. This goes to show the government isnt very smart afterall.

and we are paying them by the millions to think of ways to protect their own money! [knife][knife]

Neutral Newbie

Supercharged

Yup.

Sometimes it's the little things that bother me. Like when you go and watch a movie, there are no assigned seats, and you literally have to run into the cinema to "chope" your seats when the door opens. Not to mention the cinemas are generally really dirty and the patrons ill-mannered.

Want food after 10pm? No such thing as walking to a nearby coffeeshop. You will need to drive and all you will find is fast food.

You will also face racism of some sort if in a predominantly non-asian country.

$4-5 per meal eating out? Fat hope! At least $10 for crappy food.

Houses and cars may be cheap, but wait until the time comes to pay taxes. Almost half of it is gone. And people here complain about 7% GST? Haha...

It's easy to romanticize life in another country. The truth, which is different for everyone, will only be realised with experience.

Yeah.....guess this aspect of nitty gritty details can only be experienced by pple who hv been there and done that!

↡ Advertisement